Marriage License Needed?

samemily

Has anyone been asked to show their marriage license. My TA told me I needed to take this with me. I had read somewhere that this was a new requirement. Doesn't make sense to me, I have never had to take it before.

Thanks for the help fellow cruise addicts.

Emily of Samemily

I don't mean to be personal but how old are you? They do have a rule that under 21 you cannot sail unless you're married, if I remember correctly. Unless it has to do with some honeymoon perk you received or something unusual? Maybe you look real young!!

Actually, the other reason that you might need a marriage certificate is if your birth certificate and your DL have different names. Or if your passport is under your maiden name. Or your seapass and driver's licenses are under different names, etc.

This applies to Caribbean and Alaska cruises only.

My wife has never had to produce a marriage license and last March neither my 2 daughters or my 2 daughter-in-laws needed to either and yes their BC is different from their driver's license. I think you'll find a check of the documentaion requirements on your docs and on any cruise lines web site does not mention a marriage certificate. On theother had if you have it it won't hurt to bring it but I wouldn't jump through hoops to get one. You can always call RC and ask.

I'm going to take a copy of our marriage license just in case. I think it's better to be safe than sorry! And, what's 1 more piece of paper?:cool:

Yeah, I think it's wise. I still book under my maiden name since we haven't changed my passport or credit cards yet, but some of my ID shows my married name . . . I just keep a copy of mine in a little plastic bag along with my passport, and it has simplified things quite a lot.

If you have the time, I would really recommend getting a passport. No need to worry then about birth certificiates and marriage licenses.

I know, I know, I know! I told myself last year we'd get them...but we didn't know we'd be going on another cruise....and this trip was a surprise to DH that I gave him at Christmas..so, by that time, it was a little too late to ship off our only originals of our birth certificates without paying high fees. I feel stupid for not doing it and it's no excuse....I promise, we'll get ours this summer!:(

Last July I took the 3 night to Ensenada and was asked for my marriage license. It is because the name on your BC is different from your photo ID. Since then I have gotten a passport, so I don't need the BC or photo ID, But I always take my drivers license with me, especially on shore.

Karen

I always bring mine, but have never been asked for it. As long as I continue to put off getting a passport (just never get moving on it in enough time...:o ), I'll continue to bring it along with me... better to have it and not be asked, than to be asked and not have it :eek:

A

Thanks, everyone.

I also looked on the RC website and did not see mention of needing my marriage license.

Joni2001, you just cruised 2-5-05 and did not need to show you marriage license, so I will take the advice of rjg41 and not worry that mine is not the certified marriage license. On our last cruise, Nov 04, there was no mention of needing a marriage license. We were on the Splendour, Nov 03, through the Panama Canal. I would sail on her again.

I really should get a passport, but last time I checked, I believe it was $80. I am not cheap (well maybe I am), but would rather spend the $160 for something else.

Tinsel57, I am 59 so I don't think looking too young is a problem and we will have been married 40 years in June. I thought we had our certified marriage license, but can't locate it. I do have a very nice one the church gave us, and that is the one I will take with me.

Happy Cruising!

Emily

A couple of points here. Although in most standard cases you can get away with DL or BC, what you need to do is plan for emergencies and problems.

If you are in a foreign country (e.g. on the Alaska cruises if you take the train ride into Canada or on Caribbean cruises you go to any number of foreign countries, Mexico, Cayman Islands, Aruba, etc) the only internationally recognized proof of identification is your passport. The majority of the time, foreign dock/pier officials will accept your Seapass for readmittance to the pier. Most of the time, the ship crew will accept just your Seapass, but foreign countries can change their requirements at any time with no advance notice. If an international incident occurs, they may require all foreign nationals to provide international identification at the pier to reembark. If a terrorist event occurs in a port where you are, do you want to be refused entrance to the dock? As a foreign national travelling internationally, you have to obey local jurisdiction law.

If you are involved in any incident that requires foreign authority (say you are mugged or witness a crime or accidentally break a law or rent a car and have a traffic accident) then foreign authorities frequently demand identification and your Seapass and/or DL will *NOT* be sufficient. I heard of an incident where a cruiser was a witness to an incident in a public market place and had to go to the local polic station for questioning. They had to provide identification and with the passport on-board ship, they had to contact the ship, have someone from the purser's desk go to the cabin, retrieve the passport and bring it to the police station. Some 4-5 hours later, they had lost virtually all of their port call. It could have been 2 hours with the identification and then they would have had some time in port. Do you want to deal with that?

On the Jewel last week, some people were talking with the crew and the previous week, a passenger had a family emergency and had to leave the ship to fly home. Without a passport, you may have troubles flying internationally. Everything is taken care of for you on a cruise, but in an emergency, the passport can make a vital difference. Even for $80 and the rush fee, I would personally never leave the country without it.

Archived