Pope Benedict in Barcelona Nov 7th, '10

JaneBP

With the terror alerts, it's wise to consider that Pope Benedict XVI will be visiting Spain in November. He will inaugurate the Gaudi's milestone Sagrada Familia, or Sacred Family cathedral in Barcelona on November 7th. Over 400,000 people are expected to be in the area, with about 7,000 inside. I read there are 3 cruise ships in port that Sunday.

This is the Pope's itenerary while in Barcelona.

On the evening of November 6th, the Pope is expected to arrive at Barcelona’s El Prat Airport at around 21.00. He will then spend the night at the cardinal’s residence.

The next morning, at 9.15 on Sunday November 7th, Pope Benedict will journey through the city in his Popemobile from the archbishopric to La Sagrada Familia. The Popemobile will travel through the streets surrounding the church so that well-wishes can greet the Pontiff, so this is likely to be your best chances of seeing him.

At 10.00, Mass will begin with sections in Catalan, Spanish and Latin. There is space for 10,000 people in the church, although only 7000 will be permitted. The congregation will include pastoral councils, priests, diocesan delegations, families, the sick and young believers. It is also expected that King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia will attend. Large screens and seating will be places outside the church so up to 500,000 can also watch the service. However, you should be aware that there is not a lot of space surrounding the church so if you dislike large, busy crowds, this spot may be best avoided.

Later on in the afternoon, at 17.15, the Pope will visit the foundation of the Niño Dios where he will visit and pray with children suffering from disabilities.

The Pope will then return to Barcelona airport at 18.00 for the official farewell ceremony. The Spanish Royal Family is also expected to attend. The Pope will then fly back to Rome at 21.15.

Spain has always had their own home-grown terrorists. There is the Basque Separatist Movement, with some of it's members getting violent. I'm sure that the Spanish authorities were gearing up because of possible actions by them, not because the US puts out a warning. It was going to be crazy before the warning.

With all the traffic and people that are going to be there, it might be good time to consider a visit to Montserrat or another place outside of Barcelona.

ETA (Basque Terrorists) is in the brink of dissolution, and fortunately they are not able to perform a mass attack. In fact the whole stuff doesn´t have anything to do with tourism, religion, or attacks to civilians. No need to link these thugs with US alerts in Europe.

Sorry if I hit a sore spot. I was just always aware of the ETA and didn't know it was faltering. But, I believe the US terror alerts are nothing more than yet another close-to-the-election publicity thing. Think back - it's happened this way before...

Archived