Charging For Steaks- What else??

stevenr597

I think it is important to note that the charge is only on ships that don't have the Steakhouse inside them. It isn't on all ships (yet).

Yes it would be sad if Carnival started tacking on all sorts of fees for things, I do hope they don't - but I don't see the addition of offering premium food at the MDR for an upcharge really the beginning of that. On other ships you'd pay extra anyway when they have the Steakhouse. It is a choice, not a requirement.

I'd rather see Carnival add options like this than raise rates across the board.

The point is that Carnival should not be offering two levels of food in the main dining room. One can make a case for superior service and in the Steak House for a small additional charge. There should not be a two tier level of service in the main dining room. Will Carnival start to charge for "superior" deserts and coffee???

The ships that have the optional steakhouse entrees are those that DO NOT have a steakhouse. I really cannot see them offering these on any of the other ships UNLESS they are planning to do away with the Steakhouse in its entirity.

Its a test.

Whats to stop them from doing on all ships regardless of steakhouse or not? If succesful be assured it will become fleetwide, next will be dessert.

Its a test.

Whats to stop them from doing on all ships regardless of steakhouse or not? If succesful be assured it will become fleetwide, next will be dessert.

Actually, they've been doing that with specialty desserts and coffee for quite some time at the cafes.

Its a test.

Logic. Why sell something for $18 when you can sell it for $30?

J

Actually, they've been doing that with specialty desserts and coffee for quite some time at the cafes.

True dat.

Just want to point out that while you may not have to pay for an all inclusive resort food (yes they have some paid restaurants too) the food at many of those resorts is SUB PAR.

I can tell you one thing(and it has nothing to do with charging for steaks in the MDR, I could care less), I wouldn't even have considered this upcoming cruise, had I not had enough points on my cc to cruise for free. Since we started going to an AI(RIU Caribe) in Cancun, we have loved it. While I agree, some AI's are less quality than Carnival's food, there are plenty that are much better, so that is a moot point.

The only real enticement for us to cruise is seeing the different ports/islands. It does give you a good idea of which ones I would want to come back and stay at for a week.

Size of ship has NOTHING to do with the quality of food used for meals. When I say quality, there is huge difference between a filet mignon and a round steak (for example).

When I was on the 2500+ passenger capacity Majesty of the Seas, the food was awful, with miniscule shrimp, lots of starches, chewy grisly meat, etc. Common responses on the RCL ran along the lines of "What do you expect on a large cruise ship?"

Well, I was on the Soveriegn of the Seas back in '89 (same ship class) and was treated to excellent prime rib, great lobster, nightly shrimp/crab cocktail, they even offered caviar two nights as an appetizer. All in all, excellent food. What has changed? Cost cutting, pure and simple.

People who have started cruising in the just the last few years have no idea what they are missing.Here is a list of things that were on my first CCL (elation, '98) that are no longer part of the cruise:

1) Welcome aboard rum swizzle party

2) Dinner waiter was also your breakfast/lunch waiter

3) Captains cocktail party

4) Baked alaska/cherries jubilee parade

5) Large lobster

6) Filet mignon

7) Fresh squeeze oj

8) President brand butter

9)Pizza with real cheese

10) everyone got a pin

11) Reasonable drink prices

12) Camp Carnival kids got helium balloons and goody bag on boarding

13)Midnight Gala buffet

14) nightly midnight buffet(not as fancy as gala, but still good)

15) better quality shampoo/shower wash

16) fruit punch

17) Prime rib served once in the buffet area

18) Formal nights where people actually dressed up, it was special.

There was nothing like getting dressed up, getting liquored up on those free whiskey sours, getting a formal picture taken then eating lots of lobster!

In fact, on our second cruise on the Elation ('99) lobster was offered on BOTH formal nights:D!

I predict we'll see the following cutbacks:

1) Farewell party- This is part of getting rid of the captains party. First they moved it to the last night when people are busy packing. As for $1 off drinks on first elegant night, sorry, that was not happening last June on the Legend.

Next, they don't tell people (got to look for it in the Fun Times). Last, it will simply disappear, phased out!

2) Free espresso/ capuccino in the mdr. This has been a CCL tradition for the longest time. Why offer it for free when you can charge for it? No other mass line gives it away, right? On my Legend cruise last June, I got my daily capuccino in the mdr. BUT!!! It was not listed on the menu, not even on the very, bottom in itty bitty print! That leads me to believe that the day will come when I ask for an espresso and the waiter asks for my sail&sign card.

As for the argument that cruises prices are cheaper than ever,etc, that might true if you cruise in off time like October or February, but our upcoming 8 day cruise on the Freedom this June, with porthole, is $400 more than our '99 7 day Elation cruise with ocean view windows. Factor in inflation and I think the Freedom is slightly cheaper on a per day basis, but I'd gladly pay the difference to get the quality that I got back in '99.

Size of ship has NOTHING to do with the quality of food used for meals. When I say quality, there is huge difference between a filet mignon and a round steak (for example).

When I was on the 2500+ passenger capacity Majesty of the Seas, the food was awful, with miniscule shrimp, lots of starches, chewy grisly meat, etc. Common responses on the RCL ran along the lines of "What do you expect on a large cruise ship?"

Well, I was on the Soveriegn of the Seas back in '89 (same ship class) and was treated to excellent prime rib, great lobster, nightly shrimp/crab cocktail, they even offered caviar two nights as an appetizer. All in all, excellent food. What has changed? Cost cutting, pure and simple.

People who have started cruising in the just the last few years have no idea what they are missing.Here is a list of things that were on my first CCL (elation, '98) that are no longer part of the cruise:

5) Large lobster

6) Filet mignon

7) Fresh squeeze oj

9)Pizza with real cheese

10) everyone got a pin

13)Midnight Gala buffet

16) fruit punch

There was nothing like getting dressed up, getting liquored up on those free whiskey sours, getting a formal picture taken then eating lots of lobster!

In fact, on our second cruise on the Elation ('99) lobster was offered on BOTH formal nights:D!

1) Farewell party- This is part of getting rid of the captains party. First they moved it to the last night when people are busy packing. As for $1 off drinks on first elegant night, sorry, that was not happening last June on the Legend.

Next, they don't tell people (got to look for it in the Fun Times). Last, it will simply disappear, phased out!

2) Free espresso/ capuccino in the mdr. This has been a CCL tradition for the longest time. Why offer it for free when you can charge for it? No other mass line gives it away, right? On my Legend cruise last June, I got my daily capuccino in the mdr. BUT!!! It was not listed on the menu, not even on the very, bottom in itty bitty print! That leads me to believe that the day will come when I ask for an espresso and the waiter asks for my sail&sign card.

As for the argument that cruises prices are cheaper than ever,etc, that might true if you cruise in off time like October or February, but our upcoming 8 day cruise on the Freedom this June, with porthole, is $400 more than our '99 7 day Elation cruise with ocean view windows. Factor in inflation and I think the Freedom is slightly cheaper on a per day basis, but I'd gladly pay the difference to get the quality that I got back in '99.

Or they don't obsess over every change in life, let alone on a vacation.

5) Large lobster

6) Filet mignon

7) Fresh squeeze oj

9)Pizza with real cheese

10) everyone got a pin

13)Midnight Gala buffet

16) fruit punch

Those are some excellent points. Carnival cruises defnintely seem to be losing their luster.

Wow, alot has changed, it seems, since our last cruise.

Do I understand correctly, there is no more:

Gala Buffet? (do they even do up the food in a fancy manner like the Gala Buffet?)

Any midnight buffet?

Carnival guest lapel pins?

Baked Alaska/Cherries Jubilee?

I only mention these as these are some things I remember from our last cruise.

Wow, alot has changed, it seems, since our last cruise.

Do I understand correctly, there is no more:

Gala Buffet? (do they even do up the food in a fancy manner like the Gala Buffet?) No - discontinued a few years ago - due to the waste

Any midnight buffet? the usually is a mexican buffet late one night - but the nightly midnight buffet as also been discontinued

Carnival guest lapel pins? only for Platinium guests

Baked Alaska/Cherries Jubilee? also discontinued

I only mention these as these are some things I remember from our last cruise.

Yes - there have been many changes :o

1. I understand Sub Par food but I am not going to Starve either, man I'll eat anywhere, even at Dennys :D

2. That 15.00 dollar steak used to be included with your cruise fare, thats what pisses me off.

Fred

The last time that $15 steak was included in my cruise fare, the cruise fare was over $200 more than what I'm paying for my next cruise on Freedom.....

Just sayin'.

We are Platinum cruisers on Carnival and in the past have found Carnival to be an excellent value for the money. That being said, we have sailed on many other cruise lines, and we never selected Carnival based on the price of a cruise.

One of the reasons we have cruised in the past was the all-inclusive nature of the trip. Drinks and tours were optional and we had no problem paying for that, but the food and entertainment was always included

That being said, we have begun to see that Carnival, as well as RCCL, are adding numerous optional charges or surcharges. This has included room service on RCCL, and the "optional" restaurants which are increasing both in number and costs on the cruise ships.

In addition, it seems, on Carnival, that the quality of food and service has declined. There is no longer any midnight buffet, the lobster tail used to be one of the signature dishes in the MDR on Carnival, now it is a small piece of lobster served with shrimp.

Charging in the MDR I feel is excessive and in poor taste. While many passengers may accept this, I do feel that Carnival is headed on a downward spiral. If it continue, while Carnival may still sail full, it will no longer be the quality product that it was in the past.

My wife and I are willing to pay a bit more to be on a more inclusive and quality ship.

My family and I agree 100%. I had some credits and booked one last Carnival Cruise for Winter break (was cheaper then any land trip with my credits) but after then I don't think we will be back.

Archived