Ports of call part two

north east girl

Hi All,

The last 3 port of call are Naples, Gibraltar and Lisbon.

We had booked Isle of Capri, which we were lookinging forward to. Due to chopping seas this trip was cancelled. Totally disappointed, we were going to have lunch, a good look round and time for shopping.

As this was cancelled at the last minute we were given a choice of 4 trips. We decided to visit the Ruins of Pompeii.

Pompeii is just a short drive away, which was good as it was an afternoon trip. This trip was just over 3 hours, our guide Luca was very informative. He pointed out Vesuvius in the distance, which of course is still active.

Walking around Pompeii was strange knowing what had happened there. The stepping stones to help cross the street in wet weather are still there.

Plaster casts of the victims are shown in glass cases, this brings it home on what had happened all those years ago. Lots of artifacts are on show behind iron bars.

We were given time to shop, we tried the Limoncello which we were told about. This is very strong and has 32% vol. It taste absolutely gorgeous, had to buy a bottle. I've bought a martini recipe book from QM2, will be using the Limoncello in some recipes.

All to soon it was time to go back to the ship. Really enjoyed this excursion, glad we were given the opportunity to book at such a late date.

Gibraltar

Gibraltar is within walking distance from the port. I had booked the Dolphin Watch because I wanted to see them in their natural habitat.

We were tendered in then had to wait for the bus to take us to another dock for the boat. We ended up waiting for the bus for over an hour as Gibraltar was very busy. Luckily there was some shade as it was very sunny that day. Everybody was not very happy about the situation. The cunard rep explained that with the forecoming strike the next day in Gibraltar everybody had come into town that day.

Anyway once the bus arrived it was just a short drive to get the boat. I loved this trip. The captain of the boat was very experienced and knew what to do to atract the dolphins. I think we were our about 1 hour just circling around with the QM2 not to far away. The dolpins were playing in the waves that the boat produced, it was a lovely sight to see. The children on the trip loved it.

It was a bit chaotic getting a bus organised back. It did turn up and we were soon back on board.

Lisbon

We had not booked an excursions in Lisbon. I think we were all excursioned out, just wanted to wander around at our own pace. We got the comp bus into town, it was too far to walk. There was HOHO buses at the port for anyone wanting to take a tour. I think they were appros 12 euros per trip.

What we found was it is very expensive, looked at perfume. It was cheaper on QM2. In the end we just did some window shopping. Had a coffee and enjoyed the sunshine and then meet the bus back after 3 hours.

In summary we did enjoy the Mediterranean Medley on QM2. It was nice to have 6 sea days given the chance to enjoy everythiny QM2 has to offer and then also visit places we had not been to.

I would like to visit Rome for a weekend just to see the spanish steps and Trevi Fountain. Also Monte Carlo looks worth another visit.

Catherine

HI Catherine! Thank you for your reviews of your cruise and ports. We went on our first cruise last year on QM2 and visited Lisbon and Gibraltar as well. In Gibraltar we just walked down the main street to the botanical gardens, the cemetary and checked out the shops. They were doing some upgrading so it was a bit messy but loved the glass blowing shop in Casemates Square. In Lisbon, we took the ships shuttle and then walked up the main street and after taking pictures of fountains and the architecture we decided to take the HOHO. It was a slightly overcast day so at least we got an overlook of Lisbon. We tried the famous Lisbon/Portugal tarts, I think that is what they were called, and they were fresh and tasty. On that same cruise we did go to Monte Carlo and Rome as well. You will love them both I think. For Rome we used the ships excursion, travel only. We had arrived in Civitavecchia which is about an hour and a half from Rome so that transport was great...no need to worry about getting back to the ship on time. There is quite a bit to see in Rome in a day. We started by walking all the way back to the Colisseum, seeing the architecture on the way. We saw the Forum, Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and saw the outside of St. Peters Square...did not have time for the Vatican...oh well next time! In Monte Carlo we were tendered there which was nice and the day was beautiful! We walked up to where there was on overlook over the city and pier. We visited a museum, the cathedral where Prince Rainier and Princess Grace were married and are also buried, the Oceanographic Museum and a smalll beautiful park in that same area where we got to take a picture of the majestic QM2 in the harbor. I hope you get to see the places you wish to soon! Thanks again for your review!

Thank you Maam for your fine and refreshing review.

No mention of the Gibraltar moneys?;)

So glad your back, well and safe.

Hi AAAAmerican, no we didn't go that far into Gibraltar, do have a tale to tell from a lady who did visit the monkeys.

She was a in cafe and had a packet of crips on the table, one of the monkeys got in and pinched her crips and started eating them as she watched. A very cheeky monkey, it must have been funny to see that.

Catherine

Archived