Dress Code on Celebrity

jmarilyn

Hi. My husband and I are booked on the June 4th cruise on the Zenith to Bermuda and I am wondering what the dress code is at dinner. I know there are 2 formal nights, but does that mean you can wear shorts the other nights? Does my husband need to bring a suit and tie on the trip? Also, if we order room service, do we tip them each time?

Here's the list of what to pack on Celebrity's website. All this info will be in your paperwork when you receive your tickets. Your travel agent should also be able to help you. Shorts are not allowed at dinner. Your husband will need a suit and tie for the formal nights. We tip room service each time it's delivered, but we don't order from them regularly--just once or twice at the most.

If you booked a cruise expecting and hoping to wear shorts to dinner on nights that are not formal, you booked the wrong cruiseline.

I know that's blunt, but if you haven't done enough research on that topic (thru a knowledgeable TA or Celebrity's own website and brochures or these boards), there may be other facets of the cruise experience that you haven't researched as well -- and you may end up on a ship that really isn't what you want.

OK, thanks. I have been on 2 other cruises but it was quite a while ago (one was about 15 yrs. ago and one about 11 yrs. ago) and I couldn't remember if I had to dress up every night and didn't know if things were different now. I have no problem with a formal cruise, I think I prefer it. ;)

If you don't like to get dressed up and like the Bermuda shorts thing you can dine in the "cafe" on deck 11... and avoid the people in the dining room, most of whom actually like to get dressed for dinner as if they were celebrating a special occasion... or to prove to their other half they can still look good... ;)

On Celebrity, there are formal, informal and casual nights in the dining room. Formal is pretty self explanatory, but for informal the men wear dress shirts/slacks and a jacket, a tie is optional. For the women, it's what you would wear to the best restaurant in your area. On casual nights it's khaki/Dockers type slacks and collared shirt for the men and sundresses, casual slacks and tops or capri pants for the ladies. No shorts or jeans in the dining room at night, and on Celebrity you are expected to remain dressed in the code of the evening for the entire evening if you are going to be in any of the public areas of the ship after 6pm. So, what that means is if you chose not to go to the dining room for dinner at night, and want to stay dressed casually in shorts, you should not go to places like the show lounge or other lounges not dressed to code. Celebrity has placed themselves as one of the more dressy lines.

So, what that means is if you chose not to go to the dining room for dinner at night, and want to stay dressed casually in shorts, you should not go to places like the show lounge or other lounges not dressed to code. Celebrity has placed themselves as one of the more dressy lines.

BUT THEY DON"T ENFORCE THE DRESS CODE... Celebrity thinks all their passengers can read.... but many prove they don't....

Kitty I wish you were right but dumb is in. :(

"BUT THEY DON"T ENFORCE THE DRESS CODE... Celebrity thinks all their passengers can read.... but many prove they don't...."

Do not believe the "many" part. The vast majority (contrary to the many ongoing battles on this and other boards) will dress as expected. I suspect that there are a lot of the " I'll dress as I please" crowd who only write to stir things up and feel like "rebels". In reality, most of those either conform to the dress codes in "real life", or don't go to the main dining room. I could count the number of inappropriately dressed diners that we have actually seen on one hand and have fingers left over.

BUT THEY DON"T ENFORCE THE DRESS CODE... Celebrity thinks all their passengers can read.... but many prove they don't....

Kitty I wish you were right but dumb is in. :(

I've seen times when they do enforce the code and times when they don't. I know the wording in the dailies has changed to required rather than suggested, so those who try to push it may be asked to leave if they're not dressed properly.

I know the wording in the dailies has changed to required rather than suggested, so those who try to push it may be asked to leave if they're not dressed properly.

For Your Information (Zenith Feb 11 Bulletin)

Dress Code

...Dinner Attire: Formal. Ladies are asked to wear an evening gown or cocktail dress. Gentlemen should wear a dark suit and tie, dinner jacket, or tuxedo

This was not enforced and blue jeans were worn by several "ladies" even track suits were in evidence in the dining room. Many shorts were worn to the show lounge on formal nights. :(

The Daily states "asked" not "required" sad to say.

As I said, sometimes they enforce and sometimes they don't. I've never sailed on Zenith but I think it may depend on the Captain or dining room manager whether they enforce the dress code or not. I have personally seen people turned away at the door when they were not dressed properly. FYI, here's a link to a Summit Daily that uses the wording required. This doesn't leave much room for interpretation.:)

Link http://community.webshots.com/photo/75017138/75047595MTJxJN

...snip... FYI, here's a link to a Summit Daily that uses the wording required. This doesn't leave much room for interpretation.:)

Link http://community.webshots.com/photo/75017138/75047595MTJxJN

It's interesting that under Ship's Dress Codes is stated, "Following are the required modes of attire for evening dress (after 6:00pm nightly) throughout the ship" and under Casual Dining Boulevard, Resort Deck 10 is stated, "The dress code is casual every day, although in all other areas the dress code of the evening applies." Casual Dining Boulevard appears to be open 24 hours/day.

Presumably, one can go to and from Casual Dining Boulevard in casual attire using public areas of the ship. Anyway, it seems to me to be a contradictory policy. :confused:

Fred

Summit 5/6/05 to Alaska

Just off the Galaxy on Monday after a fabulous cruise to the Panama Canal and other W. Carib ports. :D My Daily says the same thing as the Summit's adding.."formal gown or cocktail dress" to "Dressy outfit" for formal night. One thing I didn't remember from our Alaska cruise on the Summit is "Jeans, T-shirts...are not permitted in.... Restaurant at any time. I'm sure DH and I wore jeans and T-shirts sometimes to breakfast and lunch.

On the Galaxy we didn't wear jeans except on the last day at breakfast. However, now that I think of it, I did sometimes wear t-shirts, especially on excursion days, and so did others.

We didn't change out of formal clothes after dinner like we usually do on our RCI cruises. It seems dumb to me to require formal dress in all public areas for those who eat at the buffet. People who eat at the buffet on formal nights do so because they don't want to dress up and then they run the risk of not being allowed into the theater and other areas of entertainment. I don't think the dress code was enforced on the Galaxy because the couple sitting next to us in the theater on the last formal night were very casually dressed.

I didn't see anyone in the Orion Restaurant dressed casually on formal nights.

For more details on our wonderful experience see the Roll Call thread--Galaxy Panama Canal 2/3. We are already planning our next cruises.

Explorer E. Carib. 1/12/02

Explorer W. Carib 1/18/03

Summit Alaska cruise/tour 8/3/03

Adventure S. Carib. 2/8/04

Galaxy Panama Canal 2/3/05

It's interesting that under Ship's Dress Codes is stated, "Following are the required modes of attire for evening dress (after 6:00pm nightly) throughout the ship" and under Casual Dining Boulevard, Resort Deck 10 is stated, "The dress code is casual every day, although in all other areas the dress code of the evening applies." Casual Dining Boulevard appears to be open 24 hours/day.

Presumably, one can go to and from Casual Dining Boulevard in casual attire using public areas of the ship. Anyway, it seems to me to be a contradictory policy. :confused:

Fred

Summit 5/6/05 to Alaska

There's really nothing contradictory at all about this. Deck 10 is especially for those who don't care to dress for the evening. It can be reached by elevator from all cabin areas and it's not necessary to go through any of the other public areas to get there. Obviously, there are times when the dress code will not be enforced. I like the more formal atmosphere on Celebrity, that's why I choose to sail with them, but it's not going to ruin my cruise if someone is trying to push the envelope. I don't think it's that diffcult to follow the cruiseline's requests and I respect the cruiseline's right to ask people to follow their policies. Those who don't will just take their chances and see what happens.

We have cruised on many lines. We've sat in the dinning room on formal night and sat next to a gentleman with bermudas and tee shirt, never will we sail that line again.

Celebrity for the most part enforces dress code, I was stopped going through the dining room during "high tea", because I had bermudas on. Celebrity does give guidelines, if guests want a more casual dress code, there are many other lines that cater to the more informal and casual passengers.

We have cruised on many lines. We've sat in the dinning room on formal night and sat next to a gentleman with bermudas and tee shirt, never will we sail that line again.

Celebrity for the most part enforces dress code, I was stopped going through the dining room during "high tea", because I had bermudas on. Celebrity does give guidelines, if guests want a more casual dress code, there are many other lines that cater to the more informal and casual passengers.

You mean that you wouldnt sail on a cruise just because they didnt enforce the dress code????

give me a break..

sharkman

On a trip on the Infinity Ensenada to Hawaii, we had a piece of luggage not arrive on time at San Diego. As a result, I had nothing but shorts and Jeans, so other than the first night when I wore Jeans to the Dining Room, we ate in the Casual Dining on Deck 10. Nothing was ever said about my wearing Jeans and there were even some folks there in shorts. The missing luggage caught up with us in Hilo and we returned to the Dining Room for the remainder of the cruise. The Casual Dining area calls for casual dress but they don't seem to enforce it or we would have been limited to dining in our cabin, not a pleasant thought.

You mean that you wouldnt sail on a cruise just because they didnt enforce the dress code????

give me a break..

sharkman

I'd love to... would that be an arm or a leg... :eek:

I also would avoid lines that cater to people who flaunt the rules.. Most people like to sail with others who want to experience cruising at its finest.. not with people who like to dumb down and dress down. A night "on the town" with a fancy meal and a good show doesn't include voluntarily mingling with people who just got off the beach..

:mad:

On a trip on the Infinity Ensenada to Hawaii, we had a piece of luggage not arrive on time at San Diego. As a result, I had nothing but shorts and Jeans, so other than the first night when I wore Jeans to the Dining Room, we ate in the Casual Dining on Deck 10. Nothing was ever said about my wearing Jeans and there were even some folks there in shorts. The missing luggage caught up with us in Hilo and we returned to the Dining Room for the remainder of the cruise. The Casual Dining area calls for casual dress but they don't seem to enforce it or we would have been limited to dining in our cabin, not a pleasant thought.

The casual dining area is just that. It's not the dining room. They don't enforce a dress code there although if you came in your bikini they might say something. It's specifically for those who don't want to dress for the evening. You can't help it if your luggage doesn't arrive. If you have insurance you will be able to buy something to wear if your luggage is lost. I've heard of cases where it's the cruisline's fault that they will provide some clothing...even formal wear.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Celebrity offered to provide us with formal wear and this incident was not their fault but the airline's, which we had booked on our own. We did have insurance but as soon as we discovered one piece of luggage wasn't going to make it, we reported it to the airline and they checked and found it was still in Colorado Springs. They assured us they would make every effort to get it to Ensenada before our departure. On our first day at sea, we reported the luggage problem to the Concierge and after checking, he informed us it would catch up with us when we docked in Hilo and that proved to be what happened. Imagine our surprise that afternoon when a bottle of champagne and a plate of fruit was delivered to our cabin, compliments of the Concierge, for our trouble. We declined the offer of formal wear because my wife is very petite, only a size 4, and was doubtful they would have had anything in her size.

Archived