The worst thing left behind

THEWIFE

I left my camera tripod under the bed on my first cruise. I was really bummed!

On another cruise I left all our driving instructions at home in my bedroom. The map we got at the Orlando Airport Hertz counter wasn't that great, but it got us to Cape Canaveral where we stopped at the guard gate and the guard very kindly told us how to get to the Radisson at Port Canaveral from there. Since Hurricane Jeanne re-routed the end of our cruise to Miami we didn't have to worry about driving to Orlando since we took the bus that RCCL provided for everyone who had flights out of Orlando.

Now I always double and triple check before I leave the house AND the ship cabin before I leave ;):D.

Theresa

So far, the only thing I forgot was a tie for formal night, no biggie.

When we were on an RCI shore excursion in France, my mother left her camera at the table of a restaurant that our whole bus ate at. She realized it when we were halfway to the next city and let the guide know. The guide called a few people and when we got back to the port to tender back to the ship, a guide from another bus walked over and handed my mom her camera back. Big tips all the way around. :)

Got to the scanner about to board. DH gets beeped. Jokes it will be his new wedding ring (it was our honeymoon) - looks at finger - no ring! It was happily sat in the hotel bathroom in NYC - we were in Brooklyn. Cruise firm tracked it down and sent it on its own TA 2 weeks later.

On our first cruise in 2007 we were renewing our 10 year wedding vows and after a nice relaxing massage my DH comes to the spa with a worried look on his face and tells me "I left my tux at home". Well, first he asked "did you pack my tux?" and when I said "no, I was busy with the 20 pound wedding gown" he then said he had left it. Fortunately, he was able to rent one on the ship. I left the instructions on how to tie up the bustle in the back of the gown so I didn't have to carry the 6' train around all evening. I had to spent $7 a min to call back to Houston to get instructions :) good thing it was color coded :D

This just happened in Sept. My DH forgot his blood pressure med. He realized it after we had set sail. The next morning he went to the ship Dr. They checked his blod pressure and confirmed he needed it. Luck for him they carried the brand he took. His only job was to pack his meds. I guess I'll have to check on that too.

Judi :)

Got to the scanner about to board. DH gets beeped. Jokes it will be his new wedding ring (it was our honeymoon) - looks at finger - no ring! It was happily sat in the hotel bathroom in NYC - we were in Brooklyn. Cruise firm tracked it down and sent it on its own TA 2 weeks later.

I left my wedding ring at our hotel on our honeymoon also! :o

A few years age, I bought a Sony Reader & less than a week later I left it on the plane! We raced back to the airport & were told that nothing had been found when they cleaned the plane before turnaround. DH assured me it was okay & we could buy another when we got back home but I was devastated.

Two weeks later, as we were checking in for our flight home, I inquired about the Reader providing flight number, seat, & date. Five minutes later, it was in my hand..................

My sister and her family were going to Hawaii. My brother-in-law put his suitcase in the living room the night before and told everyone else to do the same. Instead, everyone brought their suitcases to the garage. In the morning he packed up the car and off they went. If you haven't guessed by now - he had no luggage - nothing - he left it in the living room:eek:. When he got to Hawaii he had to go to Kmart to get clothes (it was a business trip for him.) All worked out in the end.

My sister and mother were going on a cruise and when they got to the air port, they had all the parts to my mom's electric scooter with the exception of the battery. Fortunately she also had her walker which can be pushed as a wheel chair in a pinch. Just a little less convient.

The worst thing I ever left behind was our folder with the cash in it...thank goodness for credit cards. And I spent a week on a cruise ship in the Caribbean without a swim suit. Not earthshattering but not as much fun on the beach.

I forgot to pack some of my make up once. I didn't think to try to take a cab to the nearest drug store but I was able to get what I needed in a shop at the hotel I stayed at the night before my cruise.

Now, I tend to get a little OCD right before I travel. I make out a packing list MONTHS in advance (or at least as far out as possible). I check the list several times up until the time I pack. Then, I check everything off as I am packing. I check everything one more time before I lock it up. Once it's locked, if it's not packed, I don't need it (hopefully). Same goes for my carry-on, I just don't lock it.

Once, after I boarded the ship, I realized that I hadn't packed my concealer. Since I don't use powder or foundation, I really need my concealer. I went to the ship's perfume/cosmetics store, but all they had was cream foundation in a very dark shade (my skin is very light), and the saleswoman tried to convince me that it would work on me. Uh, no. But I did buy some very light eye shadow.

When we arrived in Bermuda, I went to a pharmacy, and I was delighted to see that they carried CoverGirl cosmetics, so I bought two concealers, one in Fair and one in Light, since I didn't want to waste any unnecessary time there trying to figure out which shade was better for me.

Before my friend and I went on an Alaska cruise in July, we spent a few nights in Seattle. Before we left NJ, I reminded her to pack her digital camera's battery charger. (My digital camera takes AA batteries, which I much prefer to having to worry about a battery that needs recharging. I always carry extra batteries in my camera case so that I'm never without them.)

The night before our first shore excursion in Alaska, I reminded her to charge her battery. She didn't say anything, so I assumed that she recharged it. Her battery went dead during the excursion. I told her that she should recharge it when we got back on the ship. That's when she confessed that she didn't bring the recharger with her. She hadn't forgotten it - she just thought that she wouldn't need it. Luckily, the ship's customer service people had all different kinds of battery rechargers on hand, and they lent her one to use for the remainder of the cruise.

On another cruise, we were having lunch at the buffet on embarkation day when we talked with an extended family. We were told that the daughters had bought several new suits for their father, a recent widower who appeared to be in his eighties, but when they got to the cruiseship, they realized that his suitcase containing his brand new suits had been left behind at home, and the only clothing he had with him was the clothing that he was wearing. He was wearing shorts. They were upset, because they had wanted to eat in the surcharge restaurants, but since all he had was shorts, they would have to eat at the buffet every night. I guess none of the other men in their family had pants that would fit him, and I guess they didn't want to spend their time in the Caribbean looking for department stores where he could buy pants or a suit. Maybe they had already booked their shore excursions and knew that there wouldn't be time to go clothes shopping.

On our honeymoon (1st cruise) DH and I forgot to get his carry-on bag out of the car, which had his DRESS SHOES in it...all he had was the tennis shoes on his feet and a pair of flip flops...We weren't about to miss formal night...So a suit and tennis shoes is what he wore :)

At least they were dark colored...maybe no one noticed :)

We did the Hell/Turtle farm excursion in the Caymens once and I forgot my camcorder in Hell. I remembered it at the turtle farm. I immediately went to the driver and he took me back to Hell. Someone had turned it in at the counter in the little shop.

Real lucky for me to get the driver to do this. He got a BIG tip.

Good thing we got it because my friend had loaned the camcorder to me, mine had been taken to the Sears store I had purchased it (and my friend owned the store and offered his to me to take) for repair. :)

Tim

My story is a bit different than the others. I have used a nebulizer the large majority of my 61 years and my insurance had just okayed a brand new one. We packed it for our trip to Europe and the one night that we were staying in a hotel before our cruise, my wife informed me that she knew how to use the electirical converter. I use this 2-3 times a day and when we used it the first night, she plugged it in and POP. The machine blew up the night before we were to embark on a 14 day cruise. The ship was great though as they had the same model that I had been using and they rented it to me for only $20 per day. This came out to about 3 times the total cost for a brand new one. Thank goodness for insurance. The entire amount was covered. I also remained very calm as I did not want to refer to my wife as a "dumb blonde" There I said it and finally got it out of my system.

Archived