The worst thing left behind

THEWIFE

:eek: Did you ever make it onto the ship before you realized that you left something behind that you couldn't do without? We once left paid vouchers for hotel and excursions in Italy, our last stop, in the terminal in Ft. Lauderdale. Literally, as the boat left the dock, I realized it.:eek: Another time, just before we had to board our plane, we discovered that my husband never packed his most important prescription - it was liquid and could not be shipped overseas and was not even produced outside of the U.S. :eek: There must be others here that have forgotten things that were a necessity! I hate to believe we are the only ones who are so forgetful!

:eek: Did you ever make it onto the ship before you realized that you left something behind that you couldn't do without? We once left paid vouchers for hotel and excursions in Italy, our last stop, in the terminal in Ft. Lauderdale. Literally, as the boat left the dock, I realized it.:eek: Another time, just before we had to board our plane, we discovered that my husband never packed his most important prescription - it was liquid and could not be shipped overseas and was not even produced outside of the U.S. :eek: There must be others here that have forgotten things that were a necessity! I hate to believe we are the only ones who are so forgetful!

So what happened???

On our second cruise my wife left a particular "pill" prescription at home. You can bet I was at the general store when it opened looking for alternative options.

Didn't have a port day until Day 3.

;) We did the same thing, except it was DH that forgot some "things", at least you don't need a prescription for it!!

Thankfully (so far) the only thing we've forgotten was my husbands dress belt for formal nights. The only belts in the ship's store was either a black and yellow striped or black and pink (yes these are men's belts).

One of the workers was kind enough to check the back where some boxes had not been unpacked and found a solid black one.

I didn't realize I had left it behind until we were at the airport, but apparently, I left my iPod in our room on board the ship. Thank goodness for insurance, because I submitted a claim, even without having filed a claim with the cruise line. A few weeks later I got a nice fat check in the mail and bought the newest iPod available. Definitely won't cruise without insurance ever!!!

We were flying from SF to San Juan on an early Sat morn flight for a Sun 7 day cruise. Spent fri night at an airport hotel cause of early flight. Just as i'm falling asleep i realized that I hadn't packed any undies (tops or bottoms). Since San Juan is Catholic we were concerned that stores might not be open on Sun before cruise. As soon as we got in to hotel caught $50 cab ride (rd trip) to Mall of the americas to spend sat night at Sears shopping. DW now double checks on my packing.

Ok it wasn't us...but the first night we went to dine a "newlywed" wife told everyone at the table that her husband did not have any underwear! Boy oh boy did he turn red! What a way to start off a marriage!

After he stopped blushing he explained that he HAD packed them but he thinks someone is his wedding party removed them as a joke!

Well, to answer your question regarding what happened, in the case of his prescription, I was able to call my daughter from the airport. We had no time to wait, so I instructed her to call my T/A and find out where she could ship it to in order for us to get it ASAP. The next day, our T/A called and told us it couldn't be shipped (liquid). She had already called the ship doctor, who contacted us as soon as we hung up, and we saw him. He arranged for an alternate drug . . . not as effective, but it sure kept him alive . . . alive enough so that it took him about six weeks until he finally admitted it was HIS fault, not MINE, that it was left behind! lol

The paid vouchers were another issue. I was able to contact my T/A as the ship left the Florida dock. I left an urgent message. Since the cruise line was partially responisible for the vouchers being left in the terminal (no, not Royal Caribbean), they allowed me to make a ship to shore call the following morning. My T/A had already e-mailed copies to the ship. As a precaution, she also mailed copies to the Italian hotel we stayed at. As soon as we checked in, the concierge handed them over to us.

This is why I will never book without my T/A!

On one cruise, we were driving up to the airport with our DS, who lives in a fairly distant suburb, and I idly asked him if he had already filled in his cruise docs (this was before online check-in). He said, "What documents?" Forehead slapping, much shouting, extremely rapid U-turn and drive back to his house so he could pick up his cruise packet AND TICKET. This was his third cruise, so we have no idea why the importance of the cruise docs slipped his mind. At least we had been Nervous Nellies and allowed a lot of extra time for airport security and check-in, so all ended well.

On our second cruise my wife left a particular "pill" prescription at home. You can bet I was at the general store when it opened looking for alternative options.

Did you take home a little cruise souvenir? :D

Not me, but a dear friend was cruising with a family group many years ago. Her father had packed his suitcase a week in advance. Her older sister (a bit of a nut case who was not going on the cruise) decided his pants would wrinkle being packed so long so removed them from the suitcase and hung them in his closet without mentioning it. So, there he was with only the pants he wore on the flight. He was a rather large man so nothing in the gift shop would fit him either. Fortunately, there was another passenger who was his size and loaned him a pair of pants so he was able to switch off and send one pair to the laundry each day. Glad I wasn't there when he returned home and confronted his daughter.

Worst for me was my Ipod. I got it back though! We were still in terminal when I realized it. I was in panic mode, thinking of the pain it was going to be to get new one, get new ear buds, get new protective case, etc.

Another trip, I misplaced (but thought I had lost my wallet) and was not as upset. "Go figure!" This is what my DW said to me afterwards reminding me of the 2 episodes, within a week of each other. :rolleyes:

Ok it wasn't us...but the first night we went to dine a "newlywed" wife told everyone at the table that her husband did not have any underwear! Boy oh boy did he turn red! What a way to start off a marriage!

After he stopped blushing he explained that he HAD packed them but he thinks someone is his wedding party removed them as a joke!

Now, that's priceless!:D

On my first cruise ever (1995, S.S. Consitiution in Hawaii) I forgot to pack shorts. - Not - one - single - pair of short pants.... Some how while packing, I just forgot to put any in the luggage. Imagine my surprise when I went to get dressed the first morning!

What's really crazy was I was living in Honolulu at the time, and I knew what the weather was like.

Needless to say, I spent my first port call (Kona on the Big Island) at the Liberty House Department store buying shorts!

Aloha,

John

Oh My god! This is so funny:D

Yep, I stupidly left my birth control pills in my checked suitcase and the luggage didn't arrive until the night in San juan before my cruise. I had to hunt down a pharmacy 45min away from Old San Juan to get some as backup.

SO :D did you and your get an unexpected souvenir 9 months later :p?

I plan on what to wear by each day, both for myself and DH. We drove to the port the day before. When we arrived at the hotel we only needed to get a small overnight bag and a hangup that held departure clothes. Ovenight bag made it, hangup was left behind by DH who said "I will get it" as I was checking the back door. Now Galveston does not have a big variety of stores, found a Marshalls and $$$ later new clothes for departure:)

Archived