Insurance?

Natburns

Carnival insurance has some special terms that are good to have. insuremytrip has other policies.

Early saver, now covers the refund of your deposit if you cancel before final payment.

Work insurance, if your boss revorks your vacation time last minute.

Hurricane coverage.

All the above are hard to get, the first one is only with Carnival insurance.

Should we take the carnival insurance ? What do most people do?

It's a big trade-off.

Fire listed some of the "positives" above.

The "negatives" are that the Medical coverage is inadequate at $10,000 and the MedEvac coverage is marginal. If you're very young, you'll get much higher coverages at a much lower premium with policies issued by CSA, TravelEx, TravelInsured, etc. If you're in upper 70's the Carnival insurance (which doesn't factor age) becomes less expensive than other Policies. Another negative is that the Carnival Policy does not offer "Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions" (but if you cancel for a reason that Carnival determines to be a pre-existing condition, you do get a future cruise credit!)

You also want to first check your Health Insurance for "out-of-country" coverage and your Charge Card that you charge the Cruise to, for Trip Cancellation & Lost/delayed/damaged Baggage coverage.

ken

We personally use TravelGuard and would not sail without it. If you purchase the policy in the first 15 days after your initial deposit at least some of the policies cover pre-existing conditions. (We use Platinum.) Once you book air and other things you can update the policy and if there is a rate increase they will charge you the proper additional amount. For example, if your covered amount is up to $1500.00 per person and you add something that bumps it above that they will charge the additional. The next bump after $1500.00 is $2000.00, so not all added items cause rate increases.

I suggest you at least check it out.

It's a big trade-off.

Fire listed some of the "positives" above.

ken

I probably would only get Carnival's if I was booking early saver. With other insurances, you get the $50 back, and Carnival keeps the rest of your deposit. with the Carnival, you file and .. as Ken just pointed out, it has to be a covered reason, but Carnival refunds all your deposit. This would be before final payment of course.

take it from my first hand experience....we were to cruise on the Valor on 9/19/10, my BE (aka "SE: spousal equivalent) was admitted to the hospital on 9/8/10 for emergency surgery and was discharged on 9/16. There was no way that he would be able to travel. :(

We purchased travel guard insurance and have submitted a claim for airfare, hotel reservation (we did the priceline thing, so had to pre-pay) and half the cruise cost (Carnival reimbursed us for half the cruise since we canceled on 9/10.

We've rebooked for January on the Legend and bought the insurance again.

bonnie

I always buy insurance. I have 8 children, 6 with spouses, 16 grandchildren and my parents. With that many family members the odds of an emergency situation is signifcant. No to mention jobs, car, hotel, lost luggage or the fact that either my DH or I could become ill or hurt while traveling. In 2001 I broke my ankle walking (Of course I am blonde and was chewing gum at the time:)

Archived