Lens Choice for Anan Creek, Alaska

We hope to go to Anan Creek next year to see the bears. I shoot with a Canon 40D and I have the EF 24 - 50 L f4.0 lens mounted to it most of the time. I also have the f2.8 L 70 - 200 as well as a Tokina 11 - 16 f 2.8.

Do you have any suggestions? I gather there is a "photography blind" as well as a bear viewing area - but I really do not know the distances involved.

Thank you!

Ollie

70-200 and bring a 14 telveconverter.

Unless you are averse to carry a few extra lenses I'd carry all three. During my cruise this past sumlmer I could have done with < 35 and > 200 for almost shots.

Anan from the pictures I've seen you aren't 100 yards away, more like 20-30 yards so 70-200 with a TCE option would be perfect. I'd almost consider two bodies given the cost of the excursion is going to set you back more then what a used body on CL will go for, any decent body will do outdoors 30D will be more then good enough

The 70-200 is a great lens but just does not have the focal length even with a 2.8 converter (though you could work with it). I would go for the Canon 100-400L. Probably my favorite travel lens for wildlife. It's relatively small/light and it's IQ improves if you stop it down a couple but it's still usable wide open.

I was at Anan Creek last year and used a Nikkor 70-300 which I found sufficient. In other areas, most notably Denali, a 400 would have been nice. And yes, the do have a photo blind which you sign up for when you get there. They allow one or two people at a time.

ac04.jpg.6d6f4499d19d65abe4bb6ef1958d64c8.jpg

ac18.jpg.f099a0cff0929f812d139fbcb2d43d3e.jpg

ac28.jpg.42cabbf9078d43ed9e0399a2a4b7753c.jpg

ac35.jpg.4eee4d54305058383da2ebbeaca9124c.jpg

Take a good monopod. Tripod makes sense if you are going to be there hours and need a rock solid stable shooting platform. A good mono pod attached to the tripod foot on the 70-200 makes for a very balanced shooting, I've been able to do sports shooting for a couple hours with that combo without getting tired, far lighter too and fast to swivel when needed.

Happy bear shooting!

Would you think a tripod would be necessary to take to Anan Creek for bear pics? I'll be taking the 70 - 200 along with a 1.4 TC - or a 100 - 400 if I can find one to rent for the trip.

Thanks!

99% of the time I use a mono pod especially when traveling by commercial airline. It's lighter and smaller than a tripod and I'm better able to track fast moving animals. If you brace the mono pod against something you can get almost as stable as it's three legged cousin.

I love my Gitzo 5541 mono pod and Manfroto 324 tilt head. I swallowed hard when purchasing it because of the price but I have not regretted it since. It's very stable, dampens vibration well, is quiet, doesn't feel cold in the winter and makes a great walking stick.

Archived