New scuba diver in Grand Cayman

dot73

I am a newly-certified diver. I was certified in St. Thomas in November 2009 and haven't dived since. I will be on a 14-day Caribbean cruise in December and would like to dive in Grand Cayman.

Can anyone recommend a good dive company that would be good for a novice diver? At this point, I think I would prefer to dive with a smaller group.

Thank you.

I am a newly-certified diver. I was certified in St. Thomas in November 2009 and haven't dived since. I will be on a 14-day Caribbean cruise in December and would like to dive in Grand Cayman.

Can anyone recommend a good dive company that would be good for a novice diver? At this point, I think I would prefer to dive with a smaller group.

Thank you.

Smart move to go diving with a small group until you have more experience. There are a number of dive operators on Grand Cayman. Two that we have been diving with are Red Sails Sports and the other is Eden Rock Dive Center.

Both did an excellent job, were thoroughly professional and very safety oriented. Hope this helps you and that your next dive trip is a super experience.

:);):)

We dove with Neptune divers, and as fairly new divers, thought they did a good job of looking out for us. The boat captain did a lot to help my wife shed some weight with some tips on how to control her breathing.

Thank you.

I believe Eden Rock is the one we used... walked off the pier and turned right - an easy walk. You dive right from the shore and it is amazing!!!! My hubby dove there and loved it. I only snorkel, but I had a fabulous time! Great staff and fantastic dive!!

Neptune Divers is a quality operation and their shop is a block or two from the cruise terminal.

They must have moved. When we used them it was a cab ride to Seven Mile Beach and from THERE we had to trek down the beach a ways (hauling all our dive gear). Not real convenient. Many people on this board rave about them but I personally wouldn't use them again. Just my two cents.

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing you will have to deal with in December is going to be winter waves on the North coast. If it is rough, you may not get to dive the north shore... Make sure whoever you dive with is willing to keep you apprised of divng conditions and if they are not for a novice diver that they refund your money.

We once were scheduled to dive the north shore and Stingray city... The swells were running 6-7 feet.... I was not going to endanger my Daughter or Son on a boat dive in that type of water... so we dove Stingray city for two and a half hours on two tanks. We were happy and safe inside the bay

We haven't been yet but wil be doing our very first post-certification dives with Sunset House. They are a PADI 5 Star dive op that was recommended by the owner of our local PADI shop.

Have set up two-tank shore diving with a private dive instructor.

There are lots of other dive shops that are highly recoomended on this site. Go to the PADI website and do a location search for additional dive shops.

Good luck with your decision.

Sara

Let me know how your diving is at Sunset. That is our plan for our Jan cruise. Figured a nice less expensive shore dive would be the best way to start out our 4 days of diving. Then we're gonna go off the boats in the next 3 stops.

Can't wait!!!!

I look forward to seeing how things go for ya.

We will be on the Nov 20 Princess Crown. Would like to dive at Caymen,Roatan and Cozumel. Am an experienced diver and would prefer not to be on a boat with just new divers.

Any ideas.

Thanks,

CHYC

I dove with Neptune (Casey) once and it was pretty good. Had to take a cab to the 7-mile beach, and waded in the water to the boat. Was ok.

After that I went to Eden Rock. Rented from a stand ABanks (Eden Rock Dive Center was closed that day), and dove with a buddy we met there. He was an GUI instructor and we had a great 1-hr dive in the shallow waters there.

Let me know how your diving is at Sunset. That is our plan for our Jan cruise. Figured a nice less expensive shore dive would be the best way to start out our 4 days of diving. Then we're gonna go off the boats in the next 3 stops.

I look forward to seeing how things go for ya.

Will do!!

Diving off shore is great at Sunset House, stayed there once and have made dives there while cruising several times--enjoy!!

Thanks!

We will be on the Nov 20 Princess Crown. Would like to dive at Caymen,Roatan and Cozumel. Am an experienced diver and would prefer not to be on a boat with just new divers.

We have two new divers, so our exp level is different. But based on what I learned doing all the research: avoid the cruise excursion (larger groups, lots of newbies). Each of these stops have plenty of quality dive operators that do small groups (6-12), even private dives.

We were doing to do Cozumel, Scuba w Allison has a good rep and I was impressed with her communication. Decided in favor of Cayman due to diff in currents (Cozumel is better for drift diving, Caymen for shore diving).

In Roatan we narrowed it down to Barefoot Cay and Bananarama. BC has a "valet" approach and the non-divers are doing spa stuff there :D.

Bananarama has lots of good feedback on these boards and their communication was great also. They are on the popular West Beach (West Bay?) area.

Sara

Archived