USA into Quebec - where to stay??

We plan to drive from Vermont into Quebec Province and then onto Montreal next fall. Can anyone provide us recommendations as to where to stay after we pass over the border and into Quebec? We would probably be coming up Highway 91 and then take 10 into Montreal.

We plan to drive from Vermont into Quebec Province and then onto Montreal next fall. Can anyone provide us recommendations as to where to stay after we pass over the border and into Quebec? We would probably be coming up Highway 91 and then take 10 into Montreal.

It's about two hours from the border to Montreal. Do you want a place to stay in between?

Not sure actually. We may be driving from Manchester, NH and want a place to stop before heading into Montreal. I don't really know how much of a drive it is from Manchester to just over the Canadian border. Will do my homework in this regard, but thought I would check to see if there are places to stay an hour or two outside Montreal. There is not much to choose from in upper Vermont. Thanks for any input. :o

It's a little under 3 hours from Manchester to the Canadian border, taking I-93 to I-91. There are some newer hotels (Choice, Hampton, maybe some Best Westerns) around Littleton, NH and St. Johnsbury VT. North of there you have fewer name brands but there are some independent motels in Newport and Derby, VT.

If you want to get into Canada and then stop I suggest that you look around Sherbrooke, (the largest city in the region east of Montreal) or Magog (where Rte 55 gets to Rte 10). We used to call this area the "Eastern Townships" but I guess now it's called "les Cantons de l'Est" (I grew up in Northern VT and my French Canadian culture came from English-speaking Montreal media).

Thanks for the feedback. We have been to New England several times and this time we are flying into Boston, visiting with some friends in New Hampshire and then driving to Montreal and Quebec City. These are our main destinations so we don't need to spend a lot of time in New Hampshire or Vermont. We thought about driving through and getting into Canada, leaving us only an hour or two drive into Montreal. We plan to stay in Montreal three or four nights, drive to Quebec City for four or five nights and then return to Boston. We don't want long driving days so plan on four hours actual driving, tops, each day.

Would Sherbrooke be on the way into Montreal? Quebec Province is our main sightseeing destination, and again, most of that in Montreal and Quebec City. I really appreciate your responses.

Not sure actually. We may be driving from Manchester, NH and want a place to stop before heading into Montreal. I don't really know how much of a drive it is from Manchester to just over the Canadian border. Will do my homework in this regard, but thought I would check to see if there are places to stay an hour or two outside Montreal. There is not much to choose from in upper Vermont. Thanks for any input. :o

Sherbrooke is a little in the other direction. Lake Massawippi is considered one of the prettiest spots in Canada. The Ripple cove Inn is the finest hotel but expensive. I checked and 'Lune et Croissant" B & B gets rave reviews on trip advisor. Look under Ayer's Cliff Quebec. Don't stay in a chain motel/hotel You can do that anywhere.

See Ephraim's posts for Montreal and Quebec City is very special.

Manchester to Montreal is less than a 5 hour drive. If you want to break it up, then Stowe might be somewhere in the middle. (But personally, I would just drive through.) Sherbrooke is about 3.5 to 4 hours from Manchester. And about two hours from Montreal, because you would be travelling in the opposite direction.

We still call it the Eastern Townships in English. The official French names is Les Cantons de l'Est but often just refereed to as Estrie.

As for a place to stay in Montreal.... since I'm an innkeeper, I'm sort of biased. :)

After you cross the border at Derby line, maybe 20 min after you are right beside Magog, where the 55 meets the 10.

There are lots & lots of chain hotels in Magog. its a pretty big town.

and there are a couple of nice ones at Mont Orford,

We stayed at the Auberge or Manoir des Sables very very nice.

there is another one kind of nice Cherbourg at Orford, probably could get a nice rate there or possibly both of them in the summer.

The food at Manoir des Sables is very good. and a nice setting by a little lake and they also have their own golf course.

From Magog its a little under 2 hours to Montreal or 1.5 if you drive a tad over the limit, but do not go too fast. The Police do Radar on that highway 10 a lot.

In Quebec city don't stay at the Hilton, it doesnt live up to the name, its being renovated for the longest time. and the food is pretty bad.

lots of other great choices in Quebec city

I should have said the food is sometimes not so good, kind of acceptable at times and it can actually be good other times. but yes sometimes its pretty bad, they do offer to exchange it though, Would not be a terrible place but just not as good as it once was.

Archived