Elliptical machines on the Emerald

gingera

Kymbakitty said, 'I can only speak from my general experience, but I tend to think the whole knee problem issue is more genetic than anything (that, and introducing something into your life overnight or being sporatic about it...like run once every 3 months). '

Yes, it is genetic and lifestyle, too. Some have better genes when it comes to using the body and it sounds as though you know how to exercise properly.

What is it about the Precor that you like above other brands? Does Princess have the one you like best?

I wonder if part of the reason for knee problems has something to do with intensity used in workouts?

While I don't risk riding on the road any more, when I was in my 30s I did a lot of it. I rode quite a few century rides (including back to back days) & from SF to LA in 4 days. I learned then that it's better to cycle at a lower resistance & higher cadence than to strain against a higher resistance, slower cadence pace. Either way burns the same amount of calories but high resistance/low cadence is much harder on the knees & will fatigue you faster.

So that's my goal now that I'm only riding my recumbent bike at home & maybe it will make sense to anyone experiencing knee pain who might want to consider doing it differently. It works for me...I do 60 minutes at over 20mphs most days of the week & have no knee problems now that I'm much older now.

Since I've never used an eliptical machine, do they allow you to adjust the resistance? If so, then maybe it would work like my cycling experiences where less resistance & a faster pace is less strain on the body?

Yes, AstroFlyer, you can change the resistance on an elliptical. Depending on the machine, you can do it manually or the machine has preset routines. We love our Life Fitness machine! As I've said before, my husband has no problem using it after his total knee replacement :)

I have the Life Fitness x8...it has all sorts of programs....I use less resistance and faster pace b/c of my fitness level. I would imagine most ellipticals have different resistance, or at least, the ones that are better quality.

I would guess that as my core starts to get stronger, the lower back ache will get better.

Just a note about the ellipticals on the Emerald, if you are 6' or over, you probably won't be able to use them since you will come very close to smacking your head on the ceiling. My husband is 6'2 and he couldn't use them. The ceiling in the gym is a bit low.

I'm in awe of all you super fit people...wow. I've just purchased an elliptical for home use and can only manage 5 mins before losing breath. How long will it take me to reach 30mins (doing intervals of course)? I'm 58.

From my experience the treadmills are the preferred choice...you hardly ever see someone on ellipticals and I realise why this is so.

Kinkacruiser:

Yes it does take a little time to get up to 30 or 40 minutes but an elliptical is much easier on the body IMHO :-)

Don't get discouraged - any time spent exercising is better than sit tin still!

I confess, I haven't worked out on a cruise before, but I've really been successful in losing weight at home - down 30 pounds so far this year. Don't want to backslide so I'll be working out on our next cruise:-)

I confess, I haven't worked out on a cruise before, but I've really been successful in losing weight at home - down 30 pounds so far this year. Don't want to backslide so I'll be working out on our next cruise:-)

Mustang...congrats on the weight loss!

I'm in awe of all you super fit people...wow. I've just purchased an elliptical for home use and can only manage 5 mins before losing breath. How long will it take me to reach 30mins (doing intervals of course)? I'm 58.

From my experience the treadmills are the preferred choice...you hardly ever see someone on ellipticals and I realise why this is so.

Your age is not relevant--the question is, when did you incorporate exercise as part of your life and how often do you exercise?

Is this a new endeavor or have you been exercising regularly for many years?

Then your question can be addressed....

Dawn

Kinkacruiser,,,,I don't know if I would be considered 'fit' but I have exercised since age 30. I don't compare myself to anyone else, and I go at my own speed...I think you will like your elliptical. If you get too tired, ease up on the intensity and speed. Over time, you will know when to increase......Good luck!

Mustang...congrats on the weight loss!

Thanks! I need all the encouragement I can get :D

I am older than you & do an hour on my treadmill or my recumbent bike most days of the week. I'm not fanatical about it & if I have something else to do won't get it in.

Research shows that a brisk walk is as heart healthy as running & easier on our joints. But exercise at a pace comfortable & gradually build up to it. And as I mentioned earlier, I learned decades ago while doing long distance cycling that it's better using a lower resistance & a faster rate of peddling.

And what works for others might not be healthy for you...doing anything is better than nothing.

Your age is not relevant--the question is, when did you incorporate exercise as part of your life and how often do you exercise?

Is this a new endeavor or have you been exercising regularly for many years?

Then your question can be addressed....

Dawn

Hi Dawn,

I've been using the elliptical for about 2 weeks...2-3 short (5 min sessions per day). I also have a Total Gym 1000 at home and do circuit on that 3 times a week. I also walk briskly (4mph) every day for 30 mins. Weight is 122lb and 5'5". Started the total gym 2005 and have been walking since 1992. Quit smoking 2005 as well...maybe that's why I'm out of breath?

Looking forward to your reply.:)

Hi Dawn,

I've been using the elliptical for about 2 weeks...2-3 short (5 min sessions per day). I also have a Total Gym 1000 at home and do circuit on that 3 times a week. I also walk briskly (4mph) every day for 30 mins. Weight is 122lb and 5'5". Started the total gym 2005 and have been walking since 1992. Quit smoking 2005 as well...maybe that's why I'm out of breath?

Looking forward to your reply.:)

There is no obvious reason as to why you are only able to do 5 minute stretches at this point in time other than the muscles you are working are different than the ones your body is used to using. I think before you know it, you will be able to last as long as you do on the treadmill...but I think it is a better workout (unless, of course, you walk on an incline--that is a great workout).

Keep up the GREAT work....and a big congrats on quitting smoking!!!!!

:)

Just a thought, but shouldn't this post be on the Fitness, Spa and Sports cruises?

Kinkacruiser,,,the first posting was asking about the kind of ellipticals that are on the Princess line, but got off topic.

There is no obvious reason as to why you are only able to do 5 minute stretches at this point in time other than the muscles you are working are different than the ones your body is used to using. I think before you know it, you will be able to last as long as you do on the treadmill...but I think it is a better workout (unless, of course, you walk on an incline--that is a great workout).

I have to agree with you re the better workout. Thanks for your encouragement.:)

I have to agree with you re the better workout. Thanks for your encouragement.:)

Archived