LAPTOP on LIBERTY?

Where can you use a laptop? RCI's info says that you also need to have Windows for WiFi/internet to work? I have a MAC... not with windows. What's your experience?

Mac and ipad work fine, I have used both on multiple ships including the liberty. On the Freedom (Liberty's older sister ship), wifi worked everywhere, so I think the Liberty would be the same.

To setup the mac, go to the computer lab, select the wifi option, create a username and password, then select a plan (unless you are purchasing by the minute).

Then connect with your mac. Go to your web browser and it will pull up a login page. Login and it will give you a page to bookmark to log out. When you are done surfing, go back to that page and logout and it will tell you how many minutes you have used.

Where can you use a laptop? RCI's info says that you also need to have Windows for WiFi/internet to work? I have a MAC... not with windows. What's your experience?

I am a Linux user and have had no problem using WiFi on the Liberty. In fact, no problem on any ship that has WiFi.

Came back from the Liberty two weeks ago and was able to use my MacBook Pro with no problem, but it was painfully slow and expensive.

Around the 4th day I realized it was a lot faster to check email and Twitter from my iPhone instead. I also created a quick bookmark on my home screen so that I could log off quickly. I was able to check my email and Twitter in under a minute ($.65), then compose my replies and log back in to send them in under a minute. WAY cheaper than trying it on the computer, which would take ages to load anything through Mail.

Just a tip for those who have iPhones. :)

Thanks for all the info. So, basically, I can just use my laptop and would not have to use a ship PC?

Once you have used the ship's computer to set up your account, you can do everything else on your laptop, but you will incur the same charges regardless. The amount will depend on the package you sign on for. I will have my new MacBook Pro with me on the next few cruises and expect to use it to stay in touch with family and friends.

Awesome, helpful info everyone. THANKS! Pharaoh.... I will bring my MacBook PRo and iPhone. When you set up up a bookmark on your screen - was that on the MacBook or iphone?

I created the logoff bookmark on the homescreen of my iPhone, so when I was ready to log off, I just clicked the button and it would do it automagically.

I had an issue before I created the bookmark, where I couldn't find the logoff page on my iPhone and it kept me online for 11 minutes, so creating the button was extremely helpful in preventing that.

Also, for you Mac users, I don't use Safari, and I found that using the ship's internet was impossible when using Chrome AND Firefox, so if any of you use those browsers, you'll have to put them away for the week.

so you went to the log off page on the iphone. was it the link to the page with the log off button? then you created a homepage button for it. so you would just go to home click that button and it takes you direct to log off page?

I created the logoff bookmark on the homescreen of my iPhone, so when I was ready to log off, I just clicked the button and it would do it automagically.

I had an issue before I created the bookmark, where I couldn't find the logoff page on my iPhone and it kept me online for 11 minutes, so creating the button was extremely helpful in preventing that.

Also, for you Mac users, I don't use Safari, and I found that using the ship's internet was impossible when using Chrome AND Firefox, so if any of you use those browsers, you'll have to put them away for the week.

I've used both Firefox and Safari on RCI ships without any problem, so I guess there isn't a hard and fast answer.:)

so you went to the log off page on the iphone. was it the link to the page with the log off button? then you created a homepage button for it. so you would just go to home click that button and it takes you direct to log off page?

Writing this from the iPhone perspective: When you log on, it asks you if you want to create a bookmark to the logoff page. I said yes, but I never found where it put the bookmark, which created the problem that I couldn't log off and it left me online longer than I wanted to be.

Instead, when it brought me to the timer page (the page that auto-refreshes the amount of time you've been online), I hit the "+" on the bottom, hit "Add To Home Screen," and created the link for THAT page. Then, whenever I went to the home screen and hit that button, it would automatically log me off.

It was a lot easier and cheaper doing it that way on my phone than using my computer. I have no idea why it loaded my mail so much faster from my iPhone rather than my MacBook Pro, but that's the way it was.

I've used both Firefox and Safari on RCI ships without any problem, so I guess there isn't a hard and fast answer.:)

Sorry for the confusion -- I had zero problems using the internet with Safari. I just normally use Chrome at home and had all kinds of problems with it on the ship. Also with Firefox, but that may have just been me since I always have problems with Firefox. Oof.

thanks will be doing this

Writing this from the iPhone perspective: When you log on, it asks you if you want to create a bookmark to the logoff page. I said yes, but I never found where it put the bookmark, which created the problem that I couldn't log off and it left me online longer than I wanted to be.

Instead, when it brought me to the timer page (the page that auto-refreshes the amount of time you've been online), I hit the "+" on the bottom, hit "Add To Home Screen," and created the link for THAT page. Then, whenever I went to the home screen and hit that button, it would automatically log me off.

It was a lot easier and cheaper doing it that way on my phone than using my computer. I have no idea why it loaded my mail so much faster from my iPhone rather than my MacBook Pro, but that's the way it was.

Archived