A 'secret' for cheap hotel room

marklaur

I was pondering hotels on lastminutetravel.com and decided to do a search on sites that may reveal the undercover hotel. Stumbled upon an article at walletpop.com that mentions clicking on 'birds eye' on the bing map at the bottom of the hotel description page. It shows you a satelite picture of the hotel and surroundings including street names! A couple of the hotels even had the hotel name printed on the map.

I played around a bit with this technique and it worked for all of the hotels I had wondered about. Then I changed the city but the 'birds eye' icon was not "clickable".

Anyway, it worked for me so I thought I would share. I really wanted the Doubletree across from the Galleria Mall for Thanksgiving and Black Friday. I had a reservation with the hotel, cheapest room being $123. I scored a room with Lastminutetravel.com for $90:D. I just saved the cab fare!

Happy shopping! :)

I had also heard on the news a week or so ago to call the hotel directly and ask for the hotel manager. They said they are eager, in this economy, to fill their hotels and many times if you offer a lower price than found on a discount site they will grant it to you. Said they pay a fee or commission to those online discounters.

We did that awhile back at a hotel in Minneapolis. I called the hotel and asked to talk to the manager. I told him that I could get a room for xxx $ on expedia. I asked if he could match that price, and he said he would.

It is worth a try at least. Suppose it just depends on how full the hotel is for that night.

Marklaur, great find. I tested a few of the obvious hotels in Miami: Intercontinental and Hyatt Regency. Birds Eye view zoomed in perfectly. I just hope I can take advantage of this tool before they take it away.

For an easier way to figure out hotels on LMT read this thread as someone explained how to do it even easier, works everywhere you might travel in North America

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1218104&highlight=

This certainly isn't easier. From the selected hotel you simply click on "Birds Eye View" then it shows you the hotel. Done. One Click, instead of visiting another site, copy, paste, remember ID #. This may be helpful for added confirmation, but in no way is it easier or quicker.

This certainly isn't easier. From the selected hotel you simply click on "Birds Eye View" then it shows you the hotel. Done. One Click, instead of visiting another site, copy, paste, remember ID #. This may be helpful for added confirmation, but in no way is it easier or quicker.

Birds eye view dosn't work with every hotel, which would make it easier to use. Sorry for being helpful

I had also heard on the news a week or so ago to call the hotel directly and ask for the hotel manager. They said they are eager, in this economy, to fill their hotels and many times if you offer a lower price than found on a discount site they will grant it to you. Said they pay a fee or commission to those online discounters.

Thanks for posting this and I certainly am going to start trying this. It makes me mad that, although I belong to many "frequent flyer" plans at various hotels they will not credit me for stays booked at discount sites.

Marklaur:

I too would love to stay at the Double Tree Suites on East Sunrise Blvd and followed you steps on lastminutetravel.com but would like to make sure it is the Double Tree before I go and confirm the booking.

I was looking at March 6th to 9th and 1 room 4 people. First hotel that comes up for the Fort Lauderdale Beach area is a 3 star hotel in Ft Lauderdale, 1 bedroom suite, avg nightly rate $178.05.

Is this the Double Tree Suites ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I was pondering hotels on lastminutetravel.com and decided to do a search on sites that may reveal the undercover hotel. Stumbled upon an article at walletpop.com that mentions clicking on 'birds eye' on the bing map at the bottom of the hotel description page. It shows you a satelite picture of the hotel and surroundings including street names! A couple of the hotels even had the hotel name printed on the map.

I played around a bit with this technique and it worked for all of the hotels I had wondered about. Then I changed the city but the 'birds eye' icon was not "clickable".

Anyway, it worked for me so I thought I would share. I really wanted the Doubletree across from the Galleria Mall for Thanksgiving and Black Friday. I had a reservation with the hotel, cheapest room being $123. I scored a room with Lastminutetravel.com for $90:D. I just saved the cab fare!

Marklaur:

I too would love to stay at the Double Tree Suites on East Sunrise Blvd and followed you steps on lastminutetravel.com but would like to make sure it is the Double Tree before I go and confirm the booking.

I was looking at March 6th to 9th and 1 room 4 people. First hotel that comes up for the Fort Lauderdale Beach area is a 3 star hotel in Ft Lauderdale, 1 bedroom suite, avg nightly rate $178.05.

Is this the Double Tree Suites ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

That is the one:D Go for it!

Birds eye view dosn't work with every hotel, which would make it easier to use. Sorry for being helpful

Mr. Cruiser, No need to apologize. I'm the one that should apologize. The information you passed on is huge. It takes the guess work out of these hotel deals. I'm sorry that my post came across harshly. After I reread it, I noticed it was rude. Thanks again for the info. I tried it several times and every time it gave me the specific hotel. I just hope they don't catch on.

WOW great thread! I am looking now but I am having a hard time telling which hotel it is, esp when some of the birds eye zooms are an area with more then one. I am looking to get 3 rooms at the Hyatt for March 4-5. Can you tell if that is coming up???

As a former hotel manager, I'd be so pissed that someone wanted to waste my time getting a cheap room, I'd refuse. Sometimes it works but other times you are wasting someone's time who pays people to do this. Hotel reservations agents have much more power than you think. You can usually get the same deal from the hotel reservations directly. Not the #800 reservation bank but from the hotel directly.

Hotel rooms in South Florida are at an all time high occupancy rate. They are not hurting for business.

Mr. Cruiser, No need to apologize. I'm the one that should apologize. The information you passed on is huge. It takes the guess work out of these hotel deals. I'm sorry that my post came across harshly. After I reread it, I noticed it was rude. Thanks again for the info. I tried it several times and every time it gave me the specific hotel. I just hope they don't catch on.

Now THAT was nice. Wish more people on here would re-read their posts.

WOW great thread! I am looking now but I am having a hard time telling which hotel it is, esp when some of the birds eye zooms are an area with more then one. I am looking to get 3 rooms at the Hyatt for March 4-5. Can you tell if that is coming up???

If you want the downtown Hyatt look for the hotel that says 612 rooms in the description. It was listed as a 4.5* when I booked it.

I ran your dates and the Hyatt did not come up. They show the Intercontinental, Conrad and Epic for 4 star or better.

... the bing map at the bottom of the hotel description page. It shows you a satelite picture of the hotel and surroundings including street names!

Thanks so much. This was a terrific tip as I've already booked a hotel and wanted to see what was around it. I just went to Bing and put in the hotel address. This was like taking a virtual walking tour. Appreciate your sharing this. :)

Archived