Flea market and Central market in Acapulco

fisheswithbears

We are considering hiring a taxi and going to the flea market and the central market. Has anyone gone to these places? What sort of stuff is for sale and what sort of atmosphere did you find? After, we plan to see the Cliff Divers.

The "flea market" isn't a flea market as you'd expect to find in the USA. It's a market with many vendors who peddle touristy trinkets. There are maybe 1/2 dozen such markets in the city, along Costera Miguel Aleman which is the busy road fronting the bay. Prices are probably higher at this market (where tour guides almost always take people) than at the other markets. Though it's an easy walk from the ship terminal it'll be best if you take a taxi to the two markets and then to see the divers.

The Central Market is more than just the large building with the vendors in permanent stalls. It's the entire surrounding neighborhood with an expanisve network of temporary vendors selling fruits, vegetables, housewares, etc. This is probably the largest such market along the Pacific Coast of Mexico. I was at the market a couple of times within the past month and it's as vibrant as ever.

I have a dozen or so online albums with photos from Acapulco, including some that I've recently uploaded from my mid-September visit. One of the album contains many photos of the Central Market and you can view them when you click on this link:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/257206451PTuofl

The newest photos of the Central Market are at the end of that album, which I've been editing and updating. I don't provide photos of the "flea market" I think you're asking about - because I don't like the place (but I know other people who do).

You might like some of my other Acapulco photo albums and you can find them with my other albums of photos of Mexico, which you'll find listed when you click on this link:

http://community.webshots.com/user/billmasterson

Enjoy your trip!

We are considering hiring a taxi and going to the flea market and the central market. Has anyone gone to these places? What sort of stuff is for sale and what sort of atmosphere did you find? After, we plan to see the Cliff Divers.

Forget the flea market and take a bus or cab to Playa Coleta & then the water taxi to Isla Roqueta:cool:. This is an great & inexpensive way to experience the beach with the locals.

We had a private tour that stopped at all the "shopping" locations she could think of. Acapulco turned out to have the worst shopping of all the ports we stopped at. I could not find anything special or different than the other stops. Save shopping for another port.

Thank you for the pictures and info. You have certainly amassed a large amount of photos. Very helpful.

Our idea was more of browsing and people watching, not shopping for anything specific. I enjoy the produce, flower, and fish markets when we travel to other countries much more than all the jewelry and tourist shops.

Thanks again for the advice and information.

We had a lovely day in Acapulco. We walked across the street from the port to the fort. It was cool inside and quite interesting. Then we walked to the zocalo(market). It was a pleasant place to wander,sit, and people watch.

We were going to take a taxi from there to the cliffs and to have a drink at a pretty hotel overlooking the ocean but we were hot and tired so just walked back to the pier.

We had a lovely day in Acapulco. We walked across the street from the port to the fort. It was cool inside and quite interesting. Then we walked to the zocalo(market). It was a pleasant place to wander,sit, and people watch.

We were going to take a taxi from there to the cliffs and to have a drink at a pretty hotel overlooking the ocean but we were hot and tired so just walked back to the pier.

Sounds like an easy outing, just what we have in mind.:) Do you remember if there was an admission fee to the fort? How much walking do you think you did? DH doesn't get far on foot and stairs are an obstacle.

Given what you said about your interests in markets, I think you'll enjoy, very much, wandering the central market and the streets bordering it. It's a wonderful place to watch the "real Acapulco" go about it's daily routines. The varieties of produce, fruits and vegetables and meat products is spectacular.

Acapulco played an important part in the maritime trade connecting Asia with Spain and Fort San Diego was the focal point to protect the port. Some famous pirates worked the waters off Acapulco as they attempted to intercept the riches moving back and forth. There's a small fee - less than the peso-equivalen of US$3 if I'm recalling correctly - to enter the Fort. I was in the fort less than two weeks ago. I've been there scores of times over the years and never tire of it. If you look at my photo albums (the directory is linked in my signature line, below) you'll find one for the Fort and you can look at the photos and get an idea of what you might see. Some of the exhibits change seasonally. I just added some new photos to that album today.

You can, for about 40 or 50 pesos, take a taxi from the cruise ship passenger terminal to the central market and then when you're ready to return stop another taxi for the ride back. Travel by taxi in Acapulco is considered a very safe form of transport (not like in Mexico City where there is some danger if you don't know what you're doing). There are no meters in Acapulco taxi's - many of which are the Volkswagen "vocho" Beetle taxi's we'd see in the USA in the 60s and 70s. Just hand the driver 40 pesos when you get out and walk away - don't fall for any attempt to "up sell" an unsuspecting tourist.

Have a great trip!

This is what we were planning on doing. Except for the cliff divers (been there, done that, never again). About how long did it take you to walk from the fort to the zocalo?

Sounds like an easy outing, just what we have in mind.:) Do you remember if there was an admission fee to the fort? How much walking do you think you did? DH doesn't get far on foot and stairs are an obstacle.

I haven't been to the fort yet, but I did find their pricing and hours:

"The Museum is open to the public Tuesday through Sunday from 9:30 AM until 6:30 PM. Tuesday through Saturday admission is $30.00 pesos per person. Sundays admission is free"

Here is a link to The Fort

gomexico - Besides Zorritos, can you recommend a good place to have dinner. We aren't interested in Senor Frogs (or any place similar). Thanks.

Well, we are "walkers" so to us the walk from the fort straight down the road and then a right turn to the zocalo, did not seem far. We did not find anything "scary" about this walk.

Perhaps you should take a short taxi ride to the market and then another to the fort and then just walk back from the fort across the street to the cruise pier!

The fort was really very interesting!

The walk to the fort involves a lot of stairs. I suggest taking a taxi even though it is across the street from the pier.

Well, we are "walkers" so to us the walk from the fort straight down the road and then a right turn to the zocalo, did not seem far. We did not find anything "scary" about this walk.

Perhaps you should take a short taxi ride to the market and then another to the fort and then just walk back from the fort across the street to the cruise pier!

The fort was really very interesting!

There's no need to climb lots of steps to get into the Fort. There are several entrances.

You might want to walk the 1.5 block walk to your left when you leave the passenger terminal to the corner where the Sanborn's store is. Stick your head inside, it's a good and well-respected mini-department store with a good restaurant/lounge. You can check some gifts there to see what the high-price level would be and then use that informatiion to negotiate a better or appropriate price in the crafts markets. You can also find newspapers, magazines and books there. The restaurant is a good breakfast/lunch place.

When you get to the corner with Sanborns then turn right and you'll see in front of you a F.W. Woolworths store. Yes, Woolworths still operates in Mexico and this store is a large one with a restaurant/lunch counter. You can re-stock sun block, buy inexpensive clothing or tourist t-shirts, small gifts, etc. If you're missing an item of clothing you can pick that stuff up there as well.

Between the Sanborn's and Woolworths is a street and if you take a right there and walk 2 blocks you'll come to the main entrance to the Fort, which is at street level - no stairs to climb. It's less than a 10-minute walk for most people.

When you've finished at the Fort re-trace your steps and continue past the Sanborn's to Plaza Juan Alvarez - often referred to as the "Zocalo" where you'll find Acapulco going about it's business. There are restaurants, shops, banks, gift stores, etc. It's well shaded and a good place to rest your feet and do some people watching.

Also check with the passenger terminal staff to see if the special 2nd floor walkway from the terminal to the Fort is open when you're there. It's sometimes closed. If it's open then you walk right from the terminal into the Fort property. It's the easiest way to make that trip.

I don't think there are any special concerns you need to have for the walk from the passenger terminal to the Fort going past the Sanborn's store, as I outlined above. The only annoyance might be some vendors trying to sell things to the throngs of ships passengers leaving at the same time as you. Some of the items for sale are good, others not so - and just walk past the vendors saying nothing, not acknowledging them, if you don't want to look at what they have to sell. Once you stop to talk to one, though, others will gather about - trying to convince you to buy something from them as well.

If you have mobility issues and don't walk well then you could take a taxi to the entrance to the Fort. If you do just hand the driver 30 pesos (less than US$3) when you get out of the taxi. Don't succumb to paying more.

What will be open, what to do on the diea de lost muertos. Thank you.

The Dia de los Muertos observances typically start the 31st of October and runs through the 2nd of November. I think November 1st is probably the most activity-packed day.

This isn't an observance for which stores and attractions are closed. It's a cross between pagan/indigenous beliefs and some co-opting by the Roman Catholic church. It's not a big party, fiesta, either. Many people take the observance seriously and it's a tradition to prepare family altars honoring the dead - who the people believe re-visit at this time of year, each year (or, atleast they'll lay out the 'red carpet' to welcome them, just in case!).

I don't know what's planned, publicly, for Acapulco as far as observances go. You might want to speak with a taxi driver and ask him/her to take you to the nearest cemetery - where graves will be adorned with flowers, some other decorations, and where many people will be communing with their dearly departed. There's a cemetery a 15-20 minute ride from the passenger terminal where you'll be leaving the ship for the day.

I have an online album of photos featuring Dia de los Muertos observances in different parts of Mexico and you might enjoy having a look:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/498584812pZyPVJ

Archived