captain's name

simcoeguy

The current captain, Captain Anthony Herriott, is a Brit (Sussex). Don't know when next change is sceduled, but he is supposed to be on board at least through December.

Just wondering what difference it makes? Is there a specific reason you ask (other than plain old curiosity?)

The current captain, Captain Anthony Herriott, is a Brit (Sussex). Don't know when next change is sceduled, but he is supposed to be on board at least through December.

Just wondering what difference it makes? Is there a specific reason you ask (other than plain old curiosity?)

Some just like to know. ;)

I've sailed a fair bit with Princess, a black card for several years, and have found that most often the ship is a happier place with an Italian in command, and more rigid, formal and stuffier with a Brit. I'm an ex Sitmar loyalist so that has something to do with it I expect. I'm sailing on December 6, and was just curious!!! Now I know what to expect. Thanks fo the replies.

We disembarked on Monday, Oct 11, 2010 from the Grand's Nordic TA and unless there was a changeover on that date, the Captain of the Grand is Capt. Bilton. No idea for how long. He did a fantastic job and got us into every port on our itinerary - not that usual in the N. Atlantic this time of year. Excellent captain!

post_new.gif Today, 06:05 PM

simcoeguy user_offline.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gif

I've sailed a fair bit with Princess, a black card for several years, and have found that most often the ship is a happier place with an Italian in command, and more rigid, formal and stuffier with a Brit. I'm an ex Sitmar loyalist so that has something to do with it I expect. I'm sailing on December 6, and was just curious!!! Now I know what to expect. Thanks fo the replies.

Agree with you...we just had a wonderful cruise on the Ocean Princess and Captain Stefano Ravera is the best Captain we have sailed with! quote.gif multiquote_off.gif

post_new.gif Today, 06:05 PM

Agree with you...we just had a wonderful cruise on the Ocean Princess and Captain Stefano Ravera is the best Captain we have sailed with! quote.gif multiquote_off.gif

I couldn't agree with you more. Our table had the pleasure of dining with Stefano Ravera when he was the Staff Captain on the Sea Princess. He kept us amused with his stories throughout dinner, including one about his 13 engagements to be married. :D He also served as the Safety Officer on the Regal Princess. Such a nice man. I was glad to see that he made Captain.

I'd have to disagree; I thought that two of the "happiest" ships I've sailed on with Princess have had British captains, the most recent one being the aforementioned Capt. Bilton. Just goes to show the uselessness of stereotypes, I guess. . .

Thanks for the explanation, I was just wondering if there was something I was missing that I should know.

I would like to second Hospvol's invitation to join our roll call and to meeting you on board the ship. This is the address for the roll call http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1113590

I'd have to disagree; I thought that two of the "happiest" ships I've sailed on with Princess have had British captains, the most recent one being the aforementioned Capt. Bilton. Just goes to show the uselessness of stereotypes, I guess. . .

I can't imagine a "happier" cruise than sailing with Capt. Tony Yeomans of the Ruby Princess. We've sailed with him four times in the last 3 years, and he's friendly, approachable, and an all around great guy.

And, I, too, am a former Sitmar loyalist. In fact, on the Ruby TA in 2009, one of my former Sitmar waiters, Francesco, was the beverage manager in the pool area. It's not uncommon to still find former Sitmar employees on Princess.

Hi All,

First we are all very lucky that Princess has such a great line up of captains,

As to stiff Brits, those who have sailed with the likes

of Captains, Nash, Procter, Yoeman, Perrin, Bilton etc, etc,

will use many words to describe them but formal and stuffier they would not use.

yours Shogun

I can't imagine a "happier" cruise than sailing with Capt. Tony Yeomans of the Ruby Princess. We've sailed with him four times in the last 3 years, and he's friendly, approachable, and an all around great guy.

I agree. There is a reason he is called captain McCharming!

I also found Marco Fortezzi (Italian) to be a very fun approachable captain. Like Captain Yeomans, he is active at the Cruise Critic meet and greets, the Chef's Table cocktails in the galley, and frequently seen around the ship in the public areas.

By no means was I slammng the Brits, so sterotyping was not part of my thinking. My thoughts were just observations!!! There is no question that there are many pleasant British Captains; I just have noticed that in my mind Italians tend to command happier vessels. I've sailed with many

Brits as the majority of my sailings have been with P & O and Cunard where all of the Captains are British, as am I!!! I was only asking, certainly not asking for a debate-one poster should take a pill!

Archived