Newbie snorkeler, no name beach???

CHOPPERTESTER

My DW is afraid of going into deep water to snorkel. How far do you have to swim to see fish at no name beach?

What about the nearby hotels on Bonaire, one is the Divi Flamingo and the other is the Plaza resort, is there good snorkeling there where you can stand up?

Any help would be appreciated.

Here is some info on No Name Beach.

http://www.bonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/22932/353596.html?1207108408

We snorkeled there last year from a boat on an excursion. I wouldn't suggest it as a place for a shore snorkel for a new snorkeler.

I want to relate my own experiences as a new snorkeler to perhaps help your wife. We first snorkeled in Hawaii from shore many years ago. For me, it was too shallow--always worried about "was the water deep enough to not accidentally hit coral, rocks, etc". I didn't enjoy it, and decided snorkeling wasn't for me.

About 6 years ago I decided to give snorkeling one more try, basically because DH was given the task of choosing excursions on a cruise, and for one port, he chose a snorkeling (from a boat) excursion. DH held my hand (literally, not figuratively) the entire time. Without the fear of hitting coral and rocks, and with my husband holding my hand, I found snorkeling to be absolutely awesome. I still don't want to snorkel in water that is too shallow or too deep (I want to be able to see the bottom), and I don't want to be in a current that keeps me from being able to maneuver well. I prefer boat snorkeling to shore snorkeling so I don't have to worry about getting back into shore when waves make the water murky enough to obscure dangers, like large rocks. I also always wear a snorkel vest--I don't really need it, but mentally it helps--plus I'm sure I'm more visible in the water if I need to be rescued:eek:. It helps to use the snorkel vest in a pool before going in the ocean with it, to get comfortable in deeper water with it.

Since then, I've helped a friend who couldn't even swim and was terrified of being in the water to get comfortable and love snorkeling. Basically the steps were...1) get comfortable in the deep end of a pool with a snorkel vest. 2) find a place where entry and exit to the water is easy (which in some places means a boat). 3) don't leave the person (even holding their hand if necessary) until they're comfortable. 4) beware of the fear of "bottomless" areas. 5) be patient and don't push the person past their comfort level.

Even though I don't go all the places my husband does, he's amazed at the places I will go. I've come a long way in 6 years, esp. considering I have to travel so far to do it!

If none of these things apply to your wife, I'm sorry to go on so long. But perhaps it can help someone else become more comfortable snorkeling. It's such an amazing world under there!

Archived