Venice Hotels

auburn77

This is a wonderful website with all kinds of information

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

including places to stay in which areas. Immediately coming to mind are Ca' Doge and Santa Chiara right in Piazzale Roma. Arlecchino and Olympia are close but over a bridge.

Depends on your pocket book and what you are looking for. I fell in love with Ca' Doge (small hotel, but really Italian looking, if you know what I mean). We had the room with the little balcony.

http://www.venere.com/hotels/venice/ca-doge/

Some of the photos showing the exterior must have been taken a long time ago, the last photo shows it more like it really looks. The interior was lovely though. And the visitor's kiosk is right outside the hotel. As is the vaporetto stop, the bus to the airport, the people mover to the pier, etc.

Have fun planning, then taking your trip.

Venice is really quite small. As long as you stay in the main part of town (that is, not on Lido and not in Mestre) you'll be close to everything, including the cruise port.

The area immediately around Piazzale Roma is as close to the cruise port as you can get, for hotels.

In 2008 we stayed in the Hotel Arlecchino in the Piazzale Roma area. It was a really nice hotel with a good breakfast. Then there was no "people mover" so we took a free bus to the port - now it'd be the people mover. We found that area wonderful - easy to get to from the airport - we took a bus - and very close to the port. Also close to a vaporetto station and using those boats it's so easy to get anywhere in Venice. It's also a very walkable city - even wonderful to get lost and just wander around!

Venice is fantastic to sail out of - wonderful view of the city! Have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed in the Marriott in Venice. It is out near the airport. We traveled by bus into Venice to tour (bus ride 15 min) and took the hotel shuttle to the port. We had friends with an early flight after the cruise and they stayed here also. They arranged with the hotel to pick them up at the port.

We travelled from Rome to Florence to Venice. When we arrived at the Marriott, we were sooo happy with the lovely accommodations. Especially the air conditioning! We are breakfast and one dinner at the hotel. Their is a great restaurant right across the street from the hotel.

I would stay here again

We stayed at Colombina Hotel (St Mark's Square location) and loved it. I used Trip Advisor and Venere to look over reviews for hotels and as it got close enough to the date, I booked the nonrefundable rate because it was very good. I'd definitely stay here again.

• 2 weeks later...

We where in Venice 10-03-2010 for 4 nights & stayed at The Hotel 'Dell Opera. It was a wonderful small hotel & a great place to stay in Venice.It is close to St. Marks square, around the corner from the opera house, shopping & wonderful resteraunts for dinner. Our "water taxi" brought us to the front door of the hotel, making the hotel very accessible. We where a party of five, in three rooms. All three rooms where good size, beds comfortable, bathrooms updated with the "lift' close by, making all of the hotel very accessible. The breakfast room was very nice & the contenential breakfast had a nice selection of food. The hotel staff where very helpful & allways with a smile. The Hotel' Dell Opera is a wonderful hotel, in a great location, in a wonderful city. We look forward to our next visit to Venice & our stay at the Hotel Dell' Opera.

Another vote for P. Roma area. We stayed in the Olimpia, charming hotel on a small canal with a lovely garden and good service. Very handy for buses, taxis, port shuttles, vaporetto, etc.

One more thing to consider.....

When we were there in September we experienced high tide...some who stayed nr. San Marco square reported having to drag their luggage through the flooded streets, those who stayed in P.Roma area stayed dry.

It is easy and cheap to get to P. Roma from the airport, and from there to the cruise port.

Some pics:

This is the bridge you need to cross from P. Roma to the Olimpia and also to the Arlecchino - taken from outside the Olimpia:

IMG_0199.jpg

The Arlecchino is immediate left, then a restaurant, then the Olimpia (with 3 flags above the entrance) - pic taken from the bridge in the previous pic:

IMG_0204.jpg

View from our room in the Olimpia, looking across the small canal, you can see the cruise port shuttle buses in P.Roma. The Vaporetto is on the other side of the square.

IMG_0290.jpg

This pic was taken from the bridge across the Grand Canal, that connects P. Roma to the S. Lucia train station. Hotel Santa Chiara is the bldg on the right. To the right of that is P.Roma, the train station is behind me to the left.

26.jpg

Another vote for P. Roma area. We stayed in the Olimpia, charming hotel on a small canal with a lovely garden and good service. Very handy for buses, taxis, port shuttles, vaporetto, etc.

+1 for the Olimpia. We arrived by train so it was a short walk from there to the Olimpia (and the new bridge near the station made it a lot easier with the luggage). We found the hotel very comfortable, decorative inside with a good breakfast and lovely internal garden. Good value for Venice too.

+1 for the Olimpia. We arrived by train so it was a short walk from there to the Olimpia (and the new bridge near the station made it a lot easier with the luggage). We found the hotel very comfortable, decorative inside with a good breakfast and lovely internal garden. Good value for Venice too.

...and you get free cappuccino at breakfast, if you ask for it. :)

We just returned yesterday from the NCL Gem on a Venice to NY TA. We spent two night in/near Venice. We went the cheaper route and stayed at the Crown Plaza hotel on the mainland. It is a very nice and clean hotel. they pick you up at the airport for the price of 5euro per person. The train station to Venice in literally in their back yard. We scheduled a private shuttle to the pier which cost the four of us 60euro and well worth it.

We spent the days in Venice and then took train back to hotel. this way we also expierenced the beautiful farmland in mainland Italy. the hotel sells the train tickets (7euro r/t) One day we took the vapretto southeast (to the right) from train station to St. Marks then walked to Rialto Bridge and over it to San Paulo but when it was time to return we took valparetto (northwest) heading back to train station (in the dark) we missed our stop and were almost to St. Mark's square again. So we had to switch vapretto and go back in search of the right stop for the train. Very scary but we made it. all part of our trip.

The TA crossing was very exciting weather wise. We went through a nor-easter with waves 70ft high - reaching deck 12 and 13. Lots of rockin and rollin. Dishes, tables, decorations, bottles on shelves, etc. flying everywhere. Some people were tossed around but I don't think anyone was seriously injured. It really was quite scary. It lasted for about 38 hours.

One word of warning if you enjoy alcohol. There is a shop in the Venice pier that is a duty free shop. You can buy alcohol and they give you a ticket to pick it up at their window after you go through customs. What they do not tell you nor do they care after they have made the sale........ there is another inspection when you get on the ship!!! If you have purchased wine and are carrying it on they charge you a $15 corkage fee for each bottle. You can then carry it on and enjoy. Hubby wasn't too happy about paying $30 for our two bottles but we did have it in our room to enjoy regardless of the price. also if you purchase hard liquor, they confiscate it (cannot enjoy it on board) and return it to you at 9pm the night before you get off ship. They do allow you to bring on soda from other ports and even some ports have alcohol available for purchase after you go through security in the terminal that is if there is no security again on the ship.

If you have any more specific questions I would be happy to answer them either by posting or e-mail. I am in the process of writing my journal of our 16 trip. I have to do it before I forget all the intimate details.

I'm sure you will have a great trip.

• 2 weeks later...
We just returned yesterday from the NCL Gem on a Venice to NY TA. We spent two night in/near Venice. We went the cheaper route and stayed at the Crown Plaza hotel on the mainland. It is a very nice and clean hotel. they pick you up at the airport for the price of 5euro per person. The train station to Venice in literally in their back yard. We scheduled a private shuttle to the pier which cost the four of us 60euro and well worth it...........

Would you mind sharing who you used for the shuttle to the ship? We are going next October and will stay only one day pre-cruise. but we will be on a b2b and the first cruise has an overnight at the end so we'll get two more days then for touring in Venice. Can I assume that was 60 Euros total for 4 people?

Was it a hotel shuttle for a fee that you called the hotel for on arrival or an independent service that you arranged in advance?

Archived