Please - need help with jewelry!

JoniPoni

I'm usually lurking ... not posting ... and I can't believe the stuff I've learned on this board! I have a top I have NO IDEA how to accessorize and have been stewing about it ... and then I thought of this board! You ladies certainly can help!

It's a top I bought for formal night. I have black flyaway cocktail pants, and picked up a black top to wear with it. It is very plain styled -- almost like a t-shirt, short sleeves, round neck. The fabric is knit, and patterned with glittery stuff - the color of the glitter is (going back to my Crayola days) what we called magenta.

Somehow rhinestone/crystal/zirconia type earrings don't seem right with that bright color. But what?? BTW, I am a large woman with very short grey hair, so I usually wear large or dangley earrings so there is no unfortunate gender confusion. Ideas - please???

Hi:) The outfit sounds really nice. Magenta is in the purple family (I think) Sometimes sparkly tops don't need necklaces (can take away from the top) but I would definitely get a pretty pair of earrings. And you mentioned you have grey hair...the Magenta, black pants and your hair color sounds lovely. I would say a dangle earring in the white metal family would go excellent with the color scheme. Whether they are silver or white gold.....that sounds beautiful to me.

Oh if you feel better with a necklace, I would try to find something a bit simpler...as not to take away from the top~in a white metal too.

I am sure other gals will give you more suggestions too.

Have a wonderful cruise:)

I totally agree with Lois R... "less is more". I would not put a necklace to take away from the top, and I would wear a simple dangle white gold or silver earing. Unless, you get really lucky and find an earing with a stone that comes close to the colour of the beads, but that probably will be too difficult.

Those are quick and welcome responses. No, I hadn't considered wearing a necklace as the top can stand alone ... but did wonder about the earrings. I wasn't sure if a plain silver was dressy enough, or if I should be looking for some with stones ... (but then what kind of stone). You all are great and I appreciate the ideas.

What color stones? If you have diamonds..they go with everything:D

And nowadays they make some fabulous look-a-likes. I have a pair from QVC...they are called "Epiphany" Platinum Clad. They really look like platinum and diamonds. And are at a price I can afford.

If you want a colored gemstone, I would say a purple and white (Amethsyt) would go with the black and magenta.

Okay, I'm no expert at this type of thing - I had to post my own jewelry advice post! (by the way, I'm so glad you posted this because it gave me the idea to ask for advice and I got great advice!) So - with the caveat that I'm not really good at this - what about something like this?

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product.asp?styleid=2851076&category=2376779~2374604~2375353~2377739&PrevStyleID=2856720&NextStyleID=2857129

By the way, I agree with the other poster that this outfit with short gray hair sounds very striking - especially if you can get some big funky earrings that go well with it!

Okay, I'm no expert at this type of thing - I had to post my own jewelry advice post! (by the way, I'm so glad you posted this because it gave me the idea to ask for advice and I got great advice!) So - with the caveat that I'm not really good at this - what about something like this?

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product.asp?styleid=2851076&category=2376779~2374604~2375353~2377739&PrevStyleID=2856720&NextStyleID=2857129

By the way, I agree with the other poster that this outfit with short gray hair sounds very striking - especially if you can get some big funky earrings that go well with it!

Love them...

Good morning:) Love those silver earrings!

I have found over the last few years my taste in jewelery has become more varied (thankfully)! Gives me so many more choices:D

I have a new dress, wish I could post a picture of it. It is blue, with a tonal design on it (not loud) and it drapes so nicely on me. It is not a formal dress but definitely will be worn on an informal evening. Anyway, I have a silver ensemble, necklace and earrings that look fantastic with it:) . The Blue and Silver go so well together!

And the earrings in that first picture look very sexy;) bet they would go nice with your magenta top!

If you live by an Avenue store try there. I was in there yesterday and they have tons of earrings!! All kinds including the style shown above and some with colored stones. I saw some that had hot pink or magenta stones. Most of my "outfits" I just got earrings and cute, funky bracelets...no necklace. Hope this idea helps!

Those are great ideas !! I will dig through my jewelry box today as I THINK ... somewhere ... I have a pair that might look good. (never toss anything, you know!) They have some fine chain dangles - will have to look at them and go online too. I like the choices you found too.

I just wasn't sure which direction to go with earrings. I want to look up the threaders too. Thanks again!

PS Blue dress sounds GORGEOUS and you already have the perfect accessories!

Sounds lovely, Lois. I am trying trying to find casual dining clothes, too. Love the earrings from Nordrom. We have one at our local mall and I will be going there to look. I have decided not to take any of my personal jewelry(not that it's that expensive), but my husband has given most of it to me and it would break my heart to loose a piece. So, I'll look for the fun and funky for a change.

Pat

Ephride, you have the luxury of time. I'm not sure of what major department stores you have in your area, for me it's Macy's, Robinson-May and Nordstrom just as an example. These store frequently run extra percent off already reduced bargain basement sales. They mark down costume jewelry dramatically to get it out the door. I've picked up some pretty amazing deals, a fake diamond ring for $4, I get so many compliments on it. Once, I was looking for a simple gold chain (real gold) for a charm I already had and looked through their sale chains (Macy's) and got a $125 chain, marked down several times, even the clerk was surprised when it rang up as $18.

My favorite costume jewelry is sold at Nordstrom, during their sales events they always have wonderful pieces for around 20-40% off the normal price. Chicos has some fun, funky stuff, their prices are pretty low, even when not on sale.

I always take my good jewelry with me when I travel. On a cruise or in a hotel room I keep it in the safe. I keep my jewelry roll in my purse when flying. I don't worry so much about it. It would hurt to lose some of the pieces, but what good are they if you keep them locked up at home? Of course, I use common sense and do not wear them in port or questionable areas. I even wear my heirloom pearls to work, with my jeans and 60's looking shirts, I want to enjoy them. My dear MIL left them to me, they had been left to her. The only time I ever saw them come out of her jewelry box when she was alive was when I borrowed them on our wedding day.

I'm definitely still looking. I know what I want...I just haven't seen it yet! I'll bring a couple of my cheapo rings for day-to-day wear and get a couple cheap fancy ones for dinner. I'll have to check out nordstroms though. I know a lot of places have what I'm shooting for.

their Big Bonanza Silver Day is coming up, Tuesday, March 1. They will, no doubt, have many, many new earring styles to choose from.

I love the new threader style earring. Lots of movement, lightweight, and very comfortable; they look great with short hair.

T

Archived