Husband found someone else's jewelry!

IResQU

This was about 3 years ago, but left what at the time was a very expensive video camera in my cabin. Called CCL Lost and Found. The next passenger(s) who had my cabin had indeed turned it in (it was under the bed....don't know how it got there). Glad they were honest. Had many hours of video on the camera from many family celebrations in addition to the cruise that I hadn't downloaded yet. Plus, the camera itself was worth about $700 at the time.

Carnival shipped it to me. Trying to recall, I don't even think they charged me for shipping it (could be wrong as I never looked for separate shipping charges on my cc).

I would send the jewelry back to CCL. That's probably the most likely place the true owners of the jewelry will go to.

When my wife cleared out the safe from our Sept 19th Mariner sailing, she found $500 Australian dollars with a photo copy of a passport. We turned it in to an officer at the pursers deck. I'd like to think with the passport info and our room number, the money made it back to it's owner.

Steve

WOW!! We found some cash in a safe one time in Vegas. I didn't bother returning it or notifiying anyone as it was less than $2 in canadian coin. Heck, I couldn't even cash it in. :eek: I left it for the next folks. Hopefully they were from Canada. :D

Please keep us posted if you find the owner of the jewelry. I love happy endings.

Erika

When my wife cleared out the safe from our Sept 19th Mariner sailing, she found $500 Australian dollars with a photo copy of a passport. We turned it in to an officer at the pursers deck. I'd like to think with the passport info and our room number, the money made it back to it's owner.

Steve

I still don't understand how items can be found in the safe AFTER you clean it out. How can you not see the items when you first use the safe?

I found a pretty nice ink pen once, under the lip of the safe. ;)

I still don't understand how items can be found in the safe AFTER you clean it out. How can you not see the items when you first use the safe?

I found a pretty nice ink pen once, under the lip of the safe. ;)

It's similar to the "last sock in the dryer phenomena". When you look, they hide; when you feel, they move. It's as simple as that.:D

I'll never forget an experience I had several years ago. We were on a Holland America cruise with a large group of friends and family. I had a carry on suitcase and an over the shoulder bag with all my valuables in it-passport, cash and travelers checks, my best jewelry etc. At that time you had to put your stuff through an x-ray machine which was outside at the bottom of the ramp where you got on the ship. I was in a hurry to catch up with the rest of my group and grabbed my carry on bag but left my other bag sitting on the x-ray thing! I was on the ship and waiting for an elevator when I realized what I had done. I about had a heart attack! I raced back to the area and found the bag still sitting there. No one had even moved it! It did have a luggage tag on it and might have made it to my room but my valuables would have probably been gone.

I'm super careful now!

I can see how not seeing it happens. Say DH put some things in the safe and he saw the other items thinking I had already put things in the safe. We put our passports and the duplicate copies in the safe, our house keys, jewelry, phones and some other things. I can see how it got "looked over". And when we are packing we are not really looking at things, just get it all packed and not forgotten. I just hope the owner comes forward and gets it back.

Yes, I guess I could see how that could happen if both partners are using the safe. Wouldn't happen with us. lol My DH doesn't do the safe. He has no idea how to work them, and cannot remember thew codes. He has messed the safe up in the past, so gave up. :rolleyes: I do everything. I open them, put our things in, take them out, know the code. :D

Why would you not send it back to the ship??? They are the ones who could get it back to owner.

Because I know that if I find out who the owner is, I will personally see to it that it gets back to them. I know that if it is in my possession, it will have a priority, whereas the ship will handle it as they handle the ordering of a crate of lobsters or kegs of beer.

Suppose you send it back to the ship, and the owner is never found?

I trust and know that I will do a better job in handling this than "the ship".

I agree that a human will do a better job of this than a corporate behemoth.

Except amazingly people get stuff returned to them all the time. They do have a department set up to handle it. BTW, even if the RCI does find out who it belongs to they are not really allowed to give out that information to the op without the owners permission. Which means possibly having to ship the jewelry back to RCI in order for it to be returned to the owners anyway.

Why are you assuming they won't handle it properly? I've ready many posts by people who have had their items returned to them by RCI.

BTW, the people that work for RCI are REAL LIVE HUMANS. Who'd a thunk it?

Except amazingly people get stuff returned to them all the time. They do have a department set up to handle it. BTW, even if the RCI does find out who it belongs to they are not really allowed to give out that information to the op without the owners permission. Which means possibly having to ship the jewelry back to RCI in order for it to be returned to the owners anyway.

Why are you assuming they won't handle it properly? I've ready many posts by people who have had their items returned to them by RCI.

Real Live Humans work for the government, too...and we see how much they get done!

I'm not assuming they wouldn't handle it properly, but I'm saying I trust an individual to handle it better.

RCCL would have my permission to provide my name, phone number and email so that they could make contact with me.

Yes, real live humans work for RCCL. I have come to be wary of trusting real live humans to do what is right.

Real Live Humans work for the government, too...and we see how much they get done!

I'm not assuming they wouldn't handle it properly, but I'm saying I trust an individual to handle it better.

My point is they are individuals. I work for the government and don't paint us all with a broad brush. Every agency is different.

I work for the government and don't paint us all with a broad brush. Every agency is different.

Please do me a favor and name one that does a good job.

And if you do, for every one I will provide ten that do not.

Please, please contact RCI. They do have a deparment that handles this. I left a bracelet that my adult children had just giving to me on Mother's Day on our June/July Mariner sailing. I didn't remember until 3 days after the cruise was over that I had left it. We called RCI and were told to call back 48 hours later so they could contact the ship. When we called back we were told that no one turned it in. 3 weeks later I got a phone call from RCI asking me to describe the bracelet. He said he had

it in his hands;) I had to pay for the shipping since I left it. I was very happy to pay.

Please do me a favor and name one that does a good job.

And if you do, for every one I will provide ten that do not.

Please do me a favor and get off your high horse. Because of course everyone else outside the government does such a great job too. :rolleyes: The POINT is painting everyone with the same brush is unfair and people who take it upon themselves to do a job that the cruiseline does do on a daily basis aren't necessarily doing it better. As a few posters have said, they have received their items from RCI. My guess is anyone who never gets their things back had them stolen by other passengers, nice huh?

Please do me a favor and get off your high horse. Because of course everyone else outside the government does such a great job too. :rolleyes: The POINT is painting everyone with the same brush is unfair and people who take it upon themselves to do a job that the cruiseline does do on a daily basis aren't necessarily doing it better. As a few posters have said, they have received their items from RCI. My guess is anyone who never gets their things back had them stolen by other passengers, nice huh?

Right. The passengers steal all the valuables.

No one from the cruise line would ever do that or mishandle such a situation, HUH?

My point was that if it was in my possession the owner would be guaranteed they would get it back from me.

Further, I painted NOTHING with a broad brush, so your assumption was incorrect.

Why would you not send it back to the ship??? They are the ones who could get it back to owner.

Because by not sending it back to the ship, the odds that someone will claim the items decrease, and you can at least say 'well, I tried to find the owner. -Plus, if nobody claims it, you're assured of getting to keep it this way.

;)

What is the matter with some of you people?????

Why is it, that what starts out as a normal adult conversation, or question, can turn into a name calling, mud flinging mess. Take a chill pill...... These people just reported that they found the jewellery, not "they didn't want to give it back" or "there's something fishy about finding it"...... I agree with them that I would hold onto it, and do my best to find the owners. There ARE a lot of honest people out there, but unfortunately RC is not immune to dishonest employees, as is any organization, but I KNOW that I am honest, and it would not leave my hands until the owner claimed it.

What is the matter with some of you people?????

Why is it, that what starts out as a normal adult conversation, or question, can turn into a name calling, mud flinging mess. Take a chill pill...... These people just reported that they found the jewellery, not "they didn't want to give it back" or "there's something fishy about finding it"...... I agree with them that I would hold onto it, and do my best to find the owners. There ARE a lot of honest people out there, but unfortunately RC is not immune to dishonest employees, as is any organization, but I KNOW that I am honest, and it would not leave my hands until the owner claimed it.

Hmmm....I think thou protest too much.......:confused:

Archived