price increase Nov 1?

sfvoyage

I just received the Mediterranean voyages 2011 booklet (euro version), and it mentioned that prices will increase on Nov 1st. Is this typical every year?

This year, there have been many price reductions a few months prior to various sailings, at a good discount from the so-called "discount" brochure prices. I was going to wait a couple more months before booking my chosen spring 2011 cruise.

sfvoyage, it depends on which cruise and when. For example, the December 10th Sojourn cruise from Ft. Lauderdale generated a last minute sale offer to already booked passengers. A $300 per person fare increase (over what has already been paid) would jump you from V1 to V5 or V6. How common this is I have no idea. But in general, the

penurious passenger--in which I include all writers--has two choices. Book early, at what are presumed to be early bird prices. Or wait until late in the booking calendar and hope for a fire sale.Two things to remember. The "discounted" fare is (as you imply) merely a reduction from a pre-calculated price designed to include the "price reduction." And you may want to approach your cruise price objective with a target cost basis. Something like $7-800 for two per diem seems reasonable.Still, it is wise to remember that really popular cruises on small ships can and do sell out. But the economic uncertainty may trump all else and help to hold the line on prices.

Archived