Cruiseline advice

deanswife1990

My DH and I are interested in booking a cruise for early (Jan or Feb) 2012. We have only cruised twice. Both times with Carnival. We really enjoyed both cruises. We would love to experience a different cruise line to determine if it's just cruising in general that we love or if we're going to stick with Carnival.

About us:

1. We are in our early 40's.

2. Don't drink so partying is not a priority for us even though we weren't bothered by it on Carnival.

3. We enjoy the shows and food

4. Mostly prefer the Caribbean (for now)

5. We are laid back.

I know I will get a difference of opinions. I would love to hear from people who have cruised a variety of lines and what their opinoins are of each.

Thanks so much!!

My first thought is Royal Caribbean. You will get a mixed review on the foods but we have always enjoy it on RCL and never had any complains about it. And I am a picky eater. If you don't like to party that much you will be happy to know that before 1:00 - 1:30 AM all the bars and lounges on RCL ships are closed down for the night. And they do have a strict curfew for young children roaming the halls at night. I want to say 11:00 but I could be wrong but this curfew is enforced. I also find that the shows on RCL are better than Carnival. To prove my point; my first cruise was on Carnival. I remember a Parisan show with the Can-Can dances etc. My second cruise was on the same Carnival ship and just this past year. Guess what? We saw the same Parisan show that we saw 5 years earlier. And yes, it was exactly the same. We have traveled on the Voyager 3 other times and never saw the same show twice.

Hope this helps.

Karen and I have been on HAL and celebrity once each. We have booked another for this December with HAL again. Holland America has the reputation of catering to a more mature crowd but I wouldn't call them the newlywed or nearly dead bunch. There were very few children on-board (which is not to say that I don't like them).

If you like art and antiques I would suggest that you look into HAL.

I hope this helps you!

Bruce

DH and I always do Celebrity, we enjoy the relaxing atmosphere the calmness of the ships, and the upscale service that the staff is trained to provide. The food is great, there are a variety of entertainers on board, the bars and lounges are always great to be in. Overall an amazing upscale experience!

As you can see, most people will suggest their own favorite line of choice. Since you are looking for a relaxed atmosphere with good food and shows, you can't go wrong with either Princess, Holland America or Celebrity. You will find the most simularities between these 3.

My favorities are Princess and HAL. Celebrity was a bit too formal and stuffy for me, but it has been awhile since my last Celebrity cruise.

Yes, try all the cruise lines. Each line is a new experience.

rccl- voyager and freedom class have ice skating shows and a promenade. Great shows, good food, and service. Always fun great band at pool.

Hal- was the first ship I was ever on with a doomed pool, they had a bbq waiting for us at the pool when we returned from port. Another day there was a chocolate extravaganza in the dining room. Ship was beautiful. Hal is very laid back. Much older crowd.

Celebrity - Service and food is upscale in dining room, shows are wonderful, your are pampered, they even have waitstaff in buffet area to carry your tray to your table. ( or atleast they did when I sailed them).

Lots of fun, pool parties, lots of activities, Middle age crowd.

Costa - Truely different experience, I really felt when on that ship I was in italy. Non stop activities at pool, so many and all different. Lots of dance lessens, even bingo. Themed nights in dining room. toga night last night of cruise. (first time I went to diner in a bed sheet). Shows are very different. Some poeple love this line some hate it. I enjoyed every minute.

So get out there and try something new.

Archived