Why we don't go on "all gay cruises" anymore

RickIronton

So, I came here to CC and found this thread which I found very interesting. And, if anyone knows Craig from Norfolk...I never did make note of the name of the cruise club...tell him Donna say's I hope our paths cross again one day.:)

And, as my gay friends have laughed at me on several occasions, I really DO know that "yall don't all know each other". :p

• 4 years later...
eroller...that's funny you should write about Sandra Bernhard. Several years ago I went on a Mexico RSVP and RuPaul was the guest entertainer. We had the second showing; however, we heard from the first seating that he was just awful. I guess many people walk out of his show. Well, I went and he wasn't all that bad. Not great; not good either. Well, I guess later in the cruise someone was talking to someone in the elevator about how awful Rupaul's performance was not realizing "he" was in the elevator without drag. Rupaul raced out of the elevator and has never ever done another gay cruise since...LOL

Convoy, I was in that cruise with Rupaul and the situation about the first show being a bore. I too was at the second show, it was a great time for me. Maybe you might remember me. When Rupaul had a bunch of the audience do their runway walk, I was the guy that stripped right there on stage wearing nothing but a glow bracelet as a cock ring. Hopefully all enjoyed the show a little more when there was less on stage. Hahaha

It's so interesting to read all of the comments. We have never been on all-gay cruise and after reading the thread I think we will stick with mainstream. I guess my assumptions have been confirmed and that makes it easy to rule them out for us and our personal preferences.

Some things that push me towards mainstream:

- the way most all-gay cruises are advertised - don't get me wrong I appreciate eye candy in a speedo as much as anyone else - but I would feel self-conscious around the buff and brawn so that wouldn't help me to relax and enjoy myself.

- the high cost especially when we prefer a balcony stateroom

- Years ago I toured the Hedonism resort in Jamaica during my previous career as a TA (during Mr. Hedonism week where 80% of the clientele was buff) and while it was enlightening :eek: I feel like an all-gay cruise may be similar and again I would feel uncomfortable and not relaxed. I know, I have hang-ups :o

I do however think it is fantastic that we have lots choice: all-gay, all-lesbian, LGBT group cruises, mainstream etc.! :)

The OP is from over 5 years ago.

About the only thing I agree with is that the all gay charters are too expensive. However, the charters include gay oriented entertainment at no additional cost which I'm sure is not cheap for the charters to book.

The all gay charters are more fun onboard IMHO but don't go to as many varied and interesting ports as straight cruises. The small gay groups on straight cruises offer straight discount prices and more interesting destinations.

Edited by BayAreaBC

Currently, because of mobility limitations, we're limiting our voyages to crossings, but I generally agree with BayAreaBC. We've always found "straight" cruises offered the best itineraries, schedule and prices that we wanted. Often as part of a gay group, but often not.

While we enjoyed the all-gay charters (and saw the value delivered for the extra cost) - the total package didn't fit with our priorities in most situations.

As for RoyalVisit's concern about being out of place amongst the speedo disco bunnies shown on the ads - no need to worry. While there is some truth that Atlantis charters skew more to the young and beautiful and RSVP more toward more mature, in both cases the passenger mix pretty much resembled the community at large. There were all ages and types. As a bear, I found lots of further fur and no shortage of guys comfortable with their bellies.

Edited by MarkBearSF

- the way most all-gay cruises are advertised - don't get me wrong I appreciate eye candy in a speedo as much as anyone else - but I would feel self-conscious around the buff and brawn so that wouldn't help me to relax and enjoy myself.

The ads do not reflect the reality - as is the case with all advertising. ;)

There are all types of people on gay cruises and especially on RSVP, nobody should feel out of place. No, the majority of guys don't look like they just stepped off a run way, they are just everyday gay guys (and a few gals).

I have compared prices for RSVP cruises with the regular cruises before and after the charter and they were not that much expensive. The entertainment and environment you get for the extra cost could never be matched on a regular cruise.

The all gay charters are more fun onboard IMHO but don't go to as many varied and interesting ports as straight cruises. The small gay groups on straight cruises offer straight discount prices and more interesting destinations.

RSVP Caribbean cruises have had some interesting itineraries that are specially arranged for RSVP and does not happen on regular cruises. Sometimes they offer the same itineraries. Next February we go from Ft. Lauderdale to Key West, Grand Cayman, Roatan, and Cozumel. This past February we went to St. Barts, not a regular stop for HAL.

Edited by Boytjie

It's so interesting to read all of the comments. We have never been on all-gay cruise and after reading the thread I think we will stick with mainstream. I guess my assumptions have been confirmed and that makes it easy to rule them out for us and our personal preferences.

Some things that push me towards mainstream:

- the high cost especially when we prefer a balcony stateroom

- Years ago I toured the Hedonism resort in Jamaica during my previous career as a TA (during Mr. Hedonism week where 80% of the clientele was buff) and while it was enlightening :eek: I feel like an all-gay cruise may be similar and again I would feel uncomfortable and not relaxed. I know, I have hang-ups :o

I do however think it is fantastic that we have lots choice: all-gay, all-lesbian, LGBT group cruises, mainstream etc.! :)

This thread is from six years ago and I think there have been a lot of changes in the gay community in that time; for example, social media has taken off and gay bars/clubs have become fewer and fewer while gay families (with children) have become more common. I went on a gay cruise last year (RSVP) and it had all kinds of passengers--definitely not limited to buff and brawny--all ages, all body types.

Nevertheless, go with what makes you most comfortable and meets your needs. If you want great entertainment and a gay community vibe, gay cruises are great; if you don't care about that, regular cruises are probably a better choice.

My husband and I are both considered seniors by the gay community standards. We have never done a all gay cruise but have considered it. Friends of ours who are in the same age group as we are have done one and had a blast. We feel we would probably consider going on one if we had a group of friends all going together. That way you have a comfort zone with friends and can still enjoy everything else around you. We will see what happens.

My husband and I are both considered seniors by the gay community standards. We have never done a all gay cruise but have considered it. Friends of ours who are in the same age group as we are have done one and had a blast. We feel we would probably consider going on one if we had a group of friends all going together. That way you have a comfort zone with friends and can still enjoy everything else around you. We will see what happens.

When we did our first cruise - RSVP in 2007 - we did not know anyone, except a few people I got to know here on a Cruise Critic Roll Call for the cruise. That helped, but I think people are so friendly that even f you did not know anyone you would soon be making new friends on board.

My partner and I are both in our 70's and love the all-gay cruises. RSVP is our favorite, but we have done Atlantic and Brand g too. As well as the Aquafest and Pied Piper groups on ordinary cruises. All of them are fun. You make new friends because everyone is friendly and there is very little attitude. Try it, you might like it.

• 2 weeks later...

Coming from the lesbian perspective. My partner and I have done 4 women's cruises with Olivia travel company and loved every minute of them. The lesbian entertainment, the comeraderie on the ship, the general aura of happiness, freedom to avoid judgment of the general population, etc etc. I have the impression that the lesbian ships are not big nonstop parties, like I perceive the men's gay cruises to be.

That said, the cost is a good bit higher, so we are taking our first mainstream cruise next spring and are really hoping it's a great experience. We took a mainstream packaged land trip to Costa Rica recently, and true most of the fellow vacationers were a good 10-15-20 years older than us, but I was still kinda culture shocked about being the only gay travelers in a group of 40 people.

Funny, I thought we acted exactly like who we are, and I think we look like a 50ish lesbian couple, but on the last day one of the older women said to me, it's so nice that you two are friends and can travel together. She had no clue. We were on our way out and would never see her again, so I didn't bother to correct her, but I hated being in that situation. I hope not to repeat that whole scenario on a mainstream cruise to Alaska.

• 4 weeks later...

While we have a gay cruise on our bucketlist, even if I pretend I don't realize how inflated pricing is, our biggest problem is that they tend to be held when kids are in school. I totally get why in terms of chartering a ship .. but it means we are a good 9 years from even being serious about looking.

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest I never thought a 'Gay' specific cruise would appeal to me, as thought it would be probably be too much OTT for me. However, after reading the past 14 pages (lol) of blogs, I would now certainly consider going on one. Thanks for all your input, it has been truly helpful [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does anyone know about when Atlantis releases its itineraries? I'm turning 40 in 2018, and I'm kind of thinking I'd like to give this a go, just to cross it off the bucket list...assuming I can get my husband to agree.

I think like RSVP they usually announce their cruises one year out; while on a cruise they will announce the similar cruise for the next year. On RSVP those on the cruise get first dibs to book the cruise one year later. I don't know if Atlantis does that too.

Depending o which cruise, Atlantis cruises can be difficult to get on to if you have not sailed with them before since they offer it to alumni first - those with the most Atlantis cruises sailed gets priority and it is opened up to those with less cruises sailed in a staggered way. Sometimes it sells out before the regular public can book it.

My spouse and I have been on both, we have been on 4 atlantis cruises and while I enjoy being surrounded by all men on an atlantis cruise and love the parties.. I have also become fond of all straight cruises with a few on board gay couples. We tend to be very out in our daily lives and that extends to our travel as well and have found that the straight people on the cruises in general are very receptive.. We though have had a few mild negative experiences like some people won't sit next to us or they are bit reserved with conversation till they loosen up a bit. We have also had negative experiences on an all gay cruise where guys did not think you were up to their standards would not talk to you, so its no different. We went on a few straight cruises and then had an atlantis cruise this past march just for one last time and we decided it was our last time after that cruise as the cruise format and entertainment is about the same as always. We are getting older and the parties are too late for us to fully enjoy them and when we travel we look to sightsee a lot and so often want to go to places that atlantis does not cover or at a time of year that we cannot go. Plus there is the cost, we are Canadian and have to pay everything in American dollars which can be costly, there are no freebees like drink packages or free gratuities.. so last year we booked a straight cruise for 14 days from Singapore to hong kong and it was cheaper than our 7 day atlantis cruise round trip to Puerto rico. I think I will be sticking to the straight cruises in the future. I do not mind being amongst a bunch of straight people. My husband and I have been fully out in our lifestyle in our community for many years and I am comfortable being out in a straight community on board a ship.

I think like RSVP they usually announce their cruises one year out; while on a cruise they will announce the similar cruise for the next year. On RSVP those on the cruise get first dibs to book the cruise one year later. I don't know if Atlantis does that too.

Depending o which cruise, Atlantis cruises can be difficult to get on to if you have not sailed with them before since they offer it to alumni first - those with the most Atlantis cruises sailed gets priority and it is opened up to those with less cruises sailed in a staggered way. Sometimes it sells out before the regular public can book it.

Well, that's kind of annoying. I would hope if they do another one on something like Allure, since I hope that wouldn't sell out.

We're more Celebrity people, but I don't know if we could swing a balcony on one of their Europe cruises when we add airfare.

We're more Celebrity people, but I don't know if we could swing a balcony on one of their Europe cruises when we add airfare.

For a Europe cruise I wouldn't say no to an inside or obstructed ocean view cabin since it is likely port intensive with few sea days. We did that for our RSVP Alaska and Hawaii cruises.

With so much activities on a RSVP cruise we found we hardly spent any time on the balcony (and even in the cabin) so for this year's Caribbean cruise we booked a large inside and saved some money too. It worked out well so we booked an inside for next February too.

RSVP does some European cruises too and you may have a better chance getting on one of those, compared to Atlantis.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For a Europe cruise I wouldn't say no to an inside or obstructed ocean view cabin since it is likely port intensive with few sea days. We did that for our RSVP Alaska and Hawaii cruises.

With so much activities on a RSVP cruise we found we hardly spent any time on the balcony (and even in the cabin) so for this year's Caribbean cruise we booked a large inside and saved some money too. It worked out well so we booked an inside for next February too.

RSVP does some European cruises too and you may have a better chance getting on one of those, compared to Atlantis.[/url]

That's a fair point. Part of me would rather just grab a backpack and wander around the French countryside, but there's something appealing about being in an all-gay group.

My buddy and I have been on gay cruises to Florida ports, Mexican ports, Mediterranean ports and Baltic ports.

We have enjoyed them all but no longer book exclusively gay cruises.

Mainly because,......... of the price. We find much cheaper prices on regular cruises with the possibility of upgrades and specials through our travel agent.

Secondly,......"straight" cruises have a much more diverse, eclectic group than the homogeneous group aboard the gay cruises.

And finally,.......there seems to be a subtle judgment concerning age, occupation and life style.

True,...all gay cruises alleviate the apprehension of homophobic comments but to date, we have not experienced negative reaction to our life style on straight cruises.

We encourage all cruisers to experience both type cruises. I'm sure some will prefer "gay" while others will enjoy "straight",.....and still others will mix it up.

Looking forward to comments about the gay versus straight cruise experience.

Rick

Different strokes.. Well, you know the rest.. My wife and I do NOT care what your lifestyle is OR isn't. As long as you LOVE cruising and respect your fellow man, that's ALL we care about. Anything else, is nobody's business.

Mac

I came to this board to comment on how expensive Atlantis has become. First thing I see is this thread. So I'm not the only one.

This current cruise is leaving from a port we don't have to fly to, but it is still ridiculously expensive. Like twice what we normally spend when we go on vacation.

We've enjoyed quite a few Atlantis and RSVP cruises, but they are about to lose yet another gay couple as clients.

Edited by IslandExplorer

I've taken 3 Atlantis cruises.. they were great when I was young and fit in with the others. I'm older now and don't particularly like clubbing anymore, I don't spend every waking minute in the gym. And while those cruises are fun, I'd much rather take more cruises for less money than less for more money. For me, it's just I grew out of that.