Toddler sleeping arrangements on cruiise

alto19

Forget even pulling the mattress to the floor. I would have them leave you the comforter from the top bunk (I assume that is the case because if you have a balcony, you have a couch I believe); just have them put the bunk up so the room seems bigger and you are not worried about bumping your head. Those comforters are so thick and soft that they make a great bed themselves on the floor. Toss a blanket on top with a pillow and voila - happy toddler!

This is what we did with my 3 year old on the Fascination a few weeks ago. I didn't want him on an upper berth, and I had trouble sleeping sharing a bed with him. On the 3rd night we discovered this solution - he was very comfortable and it worked out great.

On our first cruise with our 2.5 year old - she slept on the pull out sofa and we placed lots of pillows on the edge of the bed as well as the floor - just in case. She is very active and rolls all over the place. She was fine. She was so wiped out that she slept very well.

On our second cruise she was 3 and we let her try the pullman bed. The steward offered us a bed rail and it worked great. You have to ask for these when you first get on the ship as they tend to run out quickly. I was worried sick the first night that she would roll off on top of us but she loved it. You can also pull the mattress off the pullman bed and put it on the floor. We also had the glow in the dark stars that we brought for her to put on the ceiling at night over the pullman bed - she had fun with those.

I would also suggest bringing a small night light as it tends to be very dark in the stateroom at night (even with a balcony). We usually leave the tv on all night on the info station (the one that tells you the ship location, knots etc...) Turn the volumn way down and you can hear soft music. Helps our toddler go right to sleep. :)

Happy Cruising!

We just got back from a cruise to celebrate my DDs 2nd birthday. On the first night of our trip (we spent a few nights at my mom's house prior to the cruise), my DD figured out how to get out of the PnP. Ruh roh! We made a makeshift bed for her out of the a loveseat at my mom's, but weren't sure what to do on the cruise. We wound up trying her in the PnP, and put it in an alcove area which worked well (she only got out a couple of times, but it was convenient and safe). However, we had a sofa in the cabin we could have turned around, or turned into a bed and gotten bedrails for. Our stateroom attendant was awesome and was really willing to work with us. I'm sure you'll sort out a good option. Sometimes I think that the largest part of parenting is improvising and winging it - that seems to be a constant need. Good to have ideas for options, though, and to think ahead as best we can. Good luck and hope you have a great cruise!

Archived