Epic,Oasis,Dream-Why not New York?

slyfox0113

Does anyone know why NY never gets one of the larger ships. I know RCCL Oasis did a couple of cruises out of Bayonne. But in general you have to go to Florida to get one of the larger, newer ships. Can anyone tell me why?

Oasis never cruised from Bayonne. It went directly from Europe to Miami.

Epic's maiden transatlantic cruise was to NY, and it then proceeded to Miami . The ship is too big for the Manhattan cruise terminal . In order to dock it they had to drop several lifeboats into the river in order to tie up at the cruise terminal.

One of the main reasons you won't get these huge ships cruising from NY is because they're too big for the cruise port facilities. The piers in Manhattan are too short and the ships stick out into the Hudson River. I took one of the QM2's first cruises from NY, which was before they built the Brooklyn cruise terminal she now uses, and the ship extended so far out into the river that the Coast Guard and NYPD had to patrol the area around the ship to keep river traffic at a safe distance from the ship.

I was on the Dream on its last NY/NY 8 day cruise before it was moved permanently to its Port Canaveral home. I think it would be great if some more ships sailed out of NY or NJ for those of us that live closer to that port but I do agree with the weather at times. We sailed in November and the seas were a bit rougher and choppier before we got into warmer weather.

It's just logistics.

The size of these ships does several things:

1. They are too big for the docks. When Epic came into NY they had to unload most of the lifeboats before docking

2. With 4,000-6,000 passengers it would overwhelm the facilities at the NY docks. The disembarkment from the Epic TA was a NIGHTMARE. It wasn't NCL's fault but the Dept of Homeland Security with the immigration process.

Having sailed out of NYC twice - never again. Sail out of any FL port and going thru embarkation is a breeze because there is so much available space.

I prefer sailing from NYC too. I think a lot of people do as well. But the fact is that Miami (or Lauderdale) is the world's largest cruise port. It makes sense to have your best and biggest ships where the most people are. I think that is the biggest reason.

Just an FYI, I was in NYC back in May of this year and the QM2 was docked at the Manhattan piers. Apparently, it does not go to Brooklyn exclusively.

~Intrepid <-- I Love New York!

The brand new Celebrity S class ship, Silhouette, will be based in New York. Sailing 12 day Carribbean itineraries starting November, 2011.

Is Bayonne, New Jersey really in New York? The Silhouette at 122,000 tons will be smaller than Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas at 138,000 tons. The Silhouette only cruises from New York in the winter, looks like it may reposition to Rome in the summer. Meanwhile, the Explorer of the Seas sails from Bayonne year round.

Is that really an improvement?

I prefer sailing from NYC too. I think a lot of people do as well. But the fact is that Miami (or Lauderdale) is the world's largest cruise port. It makes sense to have your best and biggest ships where the most people are. I think that is the biggest reason.

Just an FYI, I was in NYC back in May of this year and the QM2 was docked at the Manhattan piers. Apparently, it does not go to Brooklyn exclusively.

QM2 was supposed to dock in Brooklyn, but apparently due to damage to that pier in the May time frame it was forced to use the Manhattan pier instead. At least this is what was posted to the Cunard board.

Agreed on all points above Intrepid guy. Though not exclusive to Brooklyn, docking the QM2 in Manhattan seems to be quite rare as shown in the reponses to the attached video.

Enjoy.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6JNhbaQRTU

It had to dock in Manhattan temporarily because the passenger gangways at the Brooklyn pier were damaged in a storm. Once the Brooklyn facilities were repaired, the QM 2 returned there. Brooklyn is its NY home, and it only rarely docks in Manhattan.

Is Bayonne, New Jersey really in New York? The Silhouette at 122,000 tons will be smaller than Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas at 138,000 tons. The Silhouette only cruises from New York in the winter, looks like it may reposition to Rome in the summer. Meanwhile, the Explorer of the Seas sails from Bayonne year round.

For practical purposes, yes. Heck, it's closer to the Statue of Liberty than the Manhattan cruise terminal.

For practical purposes, yes. Heck, it's closer to the Statue of Liberty than the Manhattan cruise terminal.

I guess we will have to change your name to NYhorseman.........

On behalf NY we will adopt your cruise port......the more ports nearby the better in my opinion......

Cherylroslyn > Likes having more ports to cruise from....

I guess we will have to change your name to NYhorseman.........

On behalf NY we will adopt your cruise port......the more ports nearby the better in my opinion......

Cherylroslyn > Likes having more ports to cruise from....

Well, I was born and raised in New York City...;)

I wonder how many people even know that the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are in New Jersey and not New York.:eek:

Celebrity S-class ships vs. RCI Voyager-class ships?

YES It is DEFINITELY an improvement

Oasis never cruised from Bayonne. It went directly from Europe to Miami.

Epic's maiden transatlantic cruise was to NY, and it then proceeded to Miami . The ship is too big for the Manhattan cruise terminal . In order to dock it they had to drop several lifeboats into the river in order to tie up at the cruise terminal.

One of the main reasons you won't get these huge ships cruising from NY is because they're too big for the cruise port facilities. The piers in Manhattan are too short and the ships stick out into the Hudson River. I took one of the QM2's first cruises from NY, which was before they built the Brooklyn cruise terminal she now uses, and the ship extended so far out into the river that the Coast Guard and NYPD had to patrol the area around the ship to keep river traffic at a safe distance from the ship.

I stand corrected.

Don't these huge ships have issues with getting under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge?

I did watch something on the Oasis which showed they are able to lower the smoke stack. They had to do this just to be able to get out of the area where the ship was built. Their first voyage they had to go out at night (low tide I think?) and just squeaked under a bridge with the stacks lowered.

I would think we'd have the same scenario here? If so, then they're in trouble if there is a delay and they can't go out on time.

Would Brooklyn and Bayonne be capable of having the larger ships?

Kathy

I wonder how many people even know that the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are in New Jersey and not New York.:eek:

And how many people sailing to Bayonne on a cruise ship, aka Cape Liberty, know that they must first sail through New York City waters to get in or out of there?:p

Archived