Dress standards

Panhandle52

We are considering a cruise with Cunard on the new Queen Elizabeth, we have cruise before with princess, royal Carribean and Celebrity. my question is would it be out of place to wear t shirts with logo's on during the day? I don't mind dressing at night, but during the day I like to be comfortable.

Please advise.:confused:

my question is would it be out of place to wear t shirts with logo's on during the day?

That depends on what you look like in them :rolleyes:

Seriously though, as long as you follow the rules of no shorts in the dining rooms, no swimwear except by the pool, etc, you'll be fine:)

Cunard dress code is all about the evenings except for the common sense things Malcolm pointed out....

However I remember visiting QE2 back in the 1970s and 1980s most of the passengers dressed very designer. It looked very Beverly hills.

Plain T shirts in themselves are acceptable, but 95% of logos are just plain tacky or offensive.and not really amusing .

Like ColumbiaSC my husband also claimed that short sleeved open collared Polo were just as comfortable as T shirts and showed a better dress sense.

As a female, I wear regular "pants" not jeans, in fact I personally think jeans are less comfortable but that is just my personal view of course.

QE will be the same in dress as QM2 and QV, if I am considering a cruise line I have never travelled before I always get a full brochure and study the pictures (yes they are publicity shots but give you an idea of ambience) the layout , the views, the activities offered, etc. and if using an agent I ask if they have personally traveled on that ship or cruise line. (some have never done a cruise at all).

if you decide on Cunard I wish you a wonderful voyage.

Lynn

In what way is a t-shirt with a logo more comfortable than an open-necked collared short-sleeve collared shirt? It escapes me entirely.

I agree ColumbiaSC - in my opinion, the only place for a t-shirt by itself is in the gym. A polo shirt is just as easy to put on and it can be worn on elegant casual nights with a jacket.

Probably will get flamed, but that's my opinion and the way I dress on Cunard.

During the day ,on the Transatlantic run,I wear shorts and T shirt..even in the off season. Last July the eastbound crossing was cold and wet so i give in to long pants and jacket. I did attend an 11:30 a.m. world club party in shorts,boat shoes and Cunard Polo shirt on one crossing,but that wasn't

appropriate. The evening is formal attire and I wear a tux most nights

You'd be asked to leave my gym if you dressed in a T-shirt and nothing else :eek: :D

I meant to say that a t-shirt is fine when worn under a shirt - promise to wear "appropriate" clothing in the gym;);):D

T-shirts with or without logos are perfectly acceptable daytime attire. Don't let the open collared polo shirt lovers scare you away from an experience that transcends what's on your back . . .

OC Cruisers, nobody is scaring anybody away...

There are logos and LOGOS....right? What one person might deem ok to wear another doesn't.

So I say, put it in perspective and keep your large logo'd ACDC Tees and the like at home :D

We are considering a cruise with Cunard on the new Queen Elizabeth, we have cruise before with princess, royal Carribean and Celebrity. my question is would it be out of place to wear t shirts with logo's on during the day? I don't mind dressing at night, but during the day I like to be comfortable.

You can wear a t shirt if you like. Nobody will care much. Everyone will be too busy enjoying themselves, yourself included.

For your information, we ate breakfast and lunch in the Princess Grill and I didn't see any t shirts.

From my observations, the majority of your fellow passengers will be wearing something a little more upmarket than a t-shirt but ultimately it's up to you.

I'm a little concerned that you haven't explored other clothing options. Long sleeved shirts with collars are very comfortable, you just have to make sure you're wearing one that fits. There are different neck sizes and different materials all which make a difference to your overall comfort.

Next time your in a department store have someone measure you up and give you advice on appropriate sizes etc.

OC Cruisers, nobody is scaring anybody away...

There are logos and LOGOS....right? What one person might deem ok to wear another doesn't.

So I say, put it in perspective and keep your large logo'd ACDC Tees and the like at home :D

The pointed meanness of some posters, judgmental attitudes and condescending suggestions about consulting retailers for proper attire horrifies me. People who ask simple, innocuous question like the OP shouldn't be made to feel inferior.

AC/DC isn't logowear--and if it were, so what?

Why can't we help others without being mean? Cunard belongs to everyone. That's perspective.

The pointed meanness of some posters, judgmental attitudes and condescending suggestions about consulting retailers for proper attire horrifies me. People who ask simple, innocuous question like the OP shouldn't be made to feel inferior.

AC/DC isn't logowear--and if it were, so what?

Why can't we help others without being mean? Cunard belongs to everyone. That's perspective.

OC Cruisers, once again, no one on this board is making any body feel inferior. Furthermore if you read my comment about ACDC it was made as a funny gesture :rolleyes: Sense of humour is needed I guess... :D

OC Cruisers, once again, no one on this board is making any body feel inferior. Furthermore if you read my comment about ACDC it was made as a funny gesture :rolleyes: Sense of humour is needed I guess... :D

A sense of humour is a must when it comes to fashion.

Especially when you consider what some people have choosen to put on as their outfit du jour. :D

This applies whether at land or at sea.

Don't give it a second thought BritNavyGal. I knew your post was intended humorously.

Hi Panhandle. You didn't mention if you are male or female. I mention that only because I think there still remains a gender difference in terms of acceptability where the wearing of t-shirts is concerned. You did specify t-shirts with logo's, but I'm not clear on what you mean by that, i.e. there are t-shirts with a tiny logo that read "ralph loren" and there or others with a huge mottos printed across the chest reading like "I'm with stupid". Abviously, big difference :)

Just from my experience, the voyage also makes a difference in terms of daytime attire on board. On voyage that involves no ports of call, such as a TransAtlanticCrossing, passengers apparently dress differently than on a port intensive cruise.

But the main thing---in my humble opinion,is that you dress comfortably following the dress code (and t-shirts, should you choose to wear them during the day is within the dress code). Most importantly, I believe on any Cunard ship you will have the opportunity to enjoy your voyage on fine, well staffed ships while enjoying the company of your fellow passengers. :)

With regard,

Salacia

You can wear a t shirt if you like. Nobody will care much. Everyone will be too busy enjoying themselves, yourself included.

For your information, we ate breakfast and lunch in the Princess Grill and I didn't see any t shirts.

From my observations, the majority of your fellow passengers will be wearing something a little more upmarket than a t-shirt but ultimately it's up to you.

I'm a little concerned that you haven't explored other clothing options. Long sleeved shirts with collars are very comfortable, you just have to make sure you're wearing one that fits. There are different neck sizes and different materials all which make a difference to your overall comfort.

Next time your in a department store have someone measure you up and give you advice on appropriate sizes etc.

Wow Margatebne. Bit taken aback by some of your comments. :(

I think we need to ask ourselves: How would I feel if someone made comments like that about my attire on board? :eek:

With regard,

Salacia

Hi Panhandle. You didn't mention if you are male or female. I mention that only because I think there still remains a gender difference in terms of acceptability where the wearing of t-shirts is concerned. You did specify t-shirts with logo's, but I'm not clear on what you mean by that, i.e. there are t-shirts with a tiny logo that read "ralph loren" and there or others with a huge mottos printed across the chest reading like "I'm with stupid". Abviously, big difference :)

Just from my experience, the voyage also makes a difference in terms of daytime attire on board. On voyage that involves no ports of call, such as a TransAtlanticCrossing, passengers apparently dress differently than on a port intensive cruise.

But the main thing---in my humble opinion,is that you dress comfortably following the dress code (and t-shirts, should you choose to wear them during the day is within the dress code). Most importantly, I believe on any Cunard ship you will have the opportunity to enjoy your voyage on fine, well staffed ships while enjoying the company of your fellow passengers. :)

With regard,

Salacia

As far as I can see, all tee shirts, or collared shirts for that matter, with logos on them.are little more than advertisements for one thing or another. I see very little difference between a logo advertising a particular beer maker or a logo advertising a fashion designer. Both are companies that are placing their products as advertisements on their shirts. Therefore, if you are wearing any shirt with a logo on it, you have become a vehicle for a particular company to advertise. If it doesn't bother you to give free advertisement and become little more than a walking sandwich board, then go for it. What one person considers tacky may be quite fashionable to another. There is no accounting for taste. :)

As far as I can see, all tee shirts, or collared shirts for that matter, with logos on them.are little more than advertisements for one thing or another. I see very little difference between a logo advertising a particular beer maker or a logo advertising a fashion designer. Both are companies that are placing their products as advertisements on their shirts. Therefore, if you are wearing any shirt with a logo on it, you have become a vehicle for a particular company to advertise. If it doesn't bother you to give free advertisement and become little more than a walking sandwich board, then go for it. What one person considers tacky may be quite fashionable to another. There is no accounting for taste. :)

Real PM, I happen to agree with you. But to confess, I did purchase several well made polo shirts that fit my husband quite well without him having to be measured for fit. The fabric is a quality woven cotton that washes and dries well. There is a tiny horse embroidered over the chest pocket. I suppose this tiny horse is a logo of some company or another. Nevertheless, it looks good on him, the quality of the item is apparent, and the price, dear lady, was right.

Please avert your eyes if you see my husband wearing his polo shirts on board; no doubt you will recognize him as "a walking bill board". If you judge my purchase as tacky, please do not judge my husband by his attire.

And I promise you, I won't judge your attire. Not that I would even notice.:)

Regards,

Salacia

I'm new to Cunard. Will be on a TA on the QV in the spring. I do plan on bringing a few T-shirts for day wear. Usually bring T-shirts with ports of call designs on them, that we have purchased on our travels to wear with sports pants. Love to walk the the main deck during the day time -- generally bring a light sweat sport shirts and a light jacket for cold days at sea. Will bring some slacks and sports type shirts as well for nicer weather. I mention these t-shirts because I do think it is possible to bring tshirts that are in good taste for travel.

I'm new to Cunard. Will be on a TA on the QV in the spring. I do plan on bringing a few T-shirts for day wear. Usually bring T-shirts with ports of call designs on them, that we have purchased on our travels to wear with sports pants. Love to walk the the main deck during the day time -- generally bring a light sweat sport shirts and a light jacket for cold days at sea. Will bring some slacks and sports type shirts as well for nicer weather. I mention these t-shirts because I do think it is possible to bring tshirts that are in good taste for travel.

Prs993 ect...Welcome. I hope you enjoy Cunard voyages as much as I have enjoyed them. And kudos for your love of walking, and dressing for that activity. I haven't sailed on QV, or experienced a TA. Looking forward to your review next spring. -Regards, Salacia

Real PM, I happen to agree with you. But to confess, I did purchase several well made polo shirts that fit my husband quite well without him having to be measured for fit. The fabric is a quality woven cotton that washes and dries well. There is a tiny horse embroidered over the chest pocket. I suppose this tiny horse is a logo of some company or another. Nevertheless, it looks good on him, the quality of the item is apparent, and the price, dear lady, was right.

Please avert your eyes if you see my husband wearing his polo shirts on board; no doubt you will recognize him as "a walking bill board". If you judge my purchase as tacky, please do not judge my husband by his attire.

And I promise you, I won't judge your attire. Not that I would even notice.:)

Regards,

Salacia

Oh, I certainly am not and never have been judgmental in the least, and I am absolutely sure your husband is not tacky at all. I never said I thought the little man on the horse was tacky--or that the label for a certain beer was either, for that matter. I was just trying to point out that each of us have different tastes and what some might find tasteful, others may not. And also that a logo is a logo.:)

Archived