Document surprise - different cabin!

mountainhouse

Friend got docs in for the Grand, and the cabins changed. TA confirmed a port side BB - Aloha deck, a bit forward of midship in August. Confirmation was in writing, when the deposit was made. Now the docs show a starboard BB - Aloha, a bit aft of midship. First reaction is that the TA should refund some money, since this is the same as GTD. How would you handle it?

With Princess, you TA should have asked if your friend would accept an upgrade. Princess is the only line that I know of that has that option in their booking procedure.

It they said "Yes" to the upgrade question, it is basically the same as getting a GTY reservation. We were on the Dawn Princess and were "upgraded" to a different cabin in the same category just like your friend. The only difference was that we went to a higher deck.

So, if your friend heard the words, "Will you accept an upgrade from Princess" and said "Sure, why not?" they accepted the possibility of the change. When booking Princess, if you want a specific cabin you have to say no to the upgrade question.

Charlie

It depends whether or not your friend was booked on a guarantee basis or not. Even when a GTY is booked, a cabin is often assigned. If the TA booked a specific cabin, there should have been some communication from Princess asking if a change in location was acceptable. The TA in turn should have asked your friend. If that didn't happen, it's either the TA's or Princess' fault - and you'll never know the answer unfortunately.

There is likely no difference in the cabin, other than port or starboard, so unless there was a specific reason to be on port side it's really not a big deal.

It's a sideways move!

Sounds as though it could be a slightly better location as mentioned before.

All the comments posted earlier are good points to be aware of when booking.

I hope you and your friends enjoy your cruise!:D

Even with a cabin assignment at booking your cabin can be reassigned in the same category or upgraded, unless you specifically state no upgrade. We did this last year on the Caribbean Princess because we had booked a BB Aft Cabin and did not want to be upgraded.

I booked a balcony cabin on the aloha deck midship and was assigned a cabin because I did not want a gty. Then my TA advised me that I could upgrade to a mini suite for $200.00 extra p/p on the Dolphin deck all the way forward because there was one left. Instead of booking that particular cabin, my TA recommended booking a mini suite gty, so I did. Turns out I received a three cat. upgrade from AE to AA mini suite midship, cabin #420 on the Dolphin Deck. I accessed the Princess web site and when I was personalizing my cruise and filling out the Imigration Forms, I observed that I was confimed for that cabin. I could have easily been assigned the forward mini suite cabin, but another pax booked it and I was given the upgrade.

John

John

Archived