getting on the ship

kingsx

Whatever time they tell you, I think it's like 2 PM, is VERY late. As Donna said, most people report embarkation starting at 11:30 for normal departures, though when we went, it started closer to 11:45.

With that being said, if you're leaving at night or later than the usual time, embarkation may be later.

As the other said somewhere a little before noon is when the start boarding.

One of the many nice things about Princess, is that the cabins are ready when they start boarding. Youcan go right there and get rid of your carryon luggage.

In almost every embarkation port I've been to, actual boarding started between 11:30am and Noon. The first people to board are the Elite/Platinum/full suite passengers as well as special needs. General boarding starts afterwards.

Princess gives a later boarding time to hopefully, spread out the arrival time of embarking passengers. If you arrive later, chances are you'll have no wait and be able to board right away. If you arrive early, there are usually crowds and a wait.

In San Francisco boarding USUALLY starts at 11:15 for "special assistance" passengers and then 11:30 for others. Also the Bon Voyage package people usually board earlier than that (about 11:00)

I have been told that the terminal in Sydney has a different system and it does not even open to the public until 12:30pm as it has to be cleared of all the inbound passengers and luggage (that is the Overseas terminal)

Hong Kong does not start check-in until 11:00am.

Princess gives a later boarding time to hopefully, spread out the arrival time of embarking passengers. If you arrive later, chances are you'll have no wait and be able to board right away. If you arrive early, there are usually crowds and a wait.

That's exactly why they do that. Can you imagine the mess if everyone showed up at either end of the embarkation window?

I have been told that the terminal in Sydney has a different system and it does not even open to the public until 12:30pm as it has to be cleared of all the inbound passengers and luggage (that is the Overseas terminal)
Not true. We stayed at the Sydney Harbour Marriott which was less than a block away from the pier and took our luggage down at about 10:15am and dropped it off. Went back to the hotel, gathered our stuff, checked out and went back at about 11:30am, arriving a few minutes later. I was in my cabin by 12:15 along with hundreds of other passengers.

Any one have experience with Ft Lauderdale boarding time? We leave on a the Crown December 18 for a 5 night cruise. The itinerary says check in is 1:00 to 4:00. So you are saying if I plan to get there at 12:00 there is a good chance boarding would have already started or will start. I don't want to have to stand and wait outside. We have to park and drop luggage off and would love to get on to start our first family vacation with the whole husbands family as soon as possible. Will they be serving lunch somewhere. The parents in laws hate buffets so is the main dining room open? Thanks.

Any one have experience with Ft Lauderdale boarding time? We leave on a the Crown December 18 for a 5 night cruise. The itinerary says check in is 1:00 to 4:00. So you are saying if I plan to get there at 12:00 there is a good chance boarding would have already started or will start. I don't want to have to stand and wait outside. We have to park and drop luggage off and would love to get on to start our first family vacation with the whole husbands family as soon as possible. Will they be serving lunch somewhere. The parents in laws hate buffets so is the main dining room open? Thanks.
FLL is like the other ports. Boarding starts between 11:30 - Noon. The dining room is available for lunch on some ships but I don't think all of them. I just checked my Crown Princess "Welcome Aboard" Patter and there's no mention of lunch in the dining room the first day. That doesn't mean they don't have it, though. Lunch is served daily in the DaVinci dining room from Noon - 1:30pm, so if you board early enough, you can check there.

Archived