Room steward on the Legend problem

Snow storm

Huh? Non-smokers don't cause more work.....smokers do.

I too would support Carnival not allowing smoking in the cabins. It's the one reason why I won't book a balcony cabin.

That said I don't think it's okay for the staff to lie about the smoking policy. As long as Carnival allows, the staff should accommodate.

Also, charging smokers a clean-up fee is NOT discrimination any more than rental car companies charging an extra fee to drivers under 25. It's simple, you cause more work/more risk, you pay more money.

Huh? I do not smoke nasty cigarettes. When I smoke its always fine hand rolled cigars. They do not stink or leave an obnoxious odor.

Stewards do not like them, but Carnival made the rules.

Sitting on the balcony smoking cigars with a martini or some crown. PRICELESS!!

I'm a smoker... But I hate smoking in closed quarters (such as a room or a bar) I will smoke outside. I guess I am snobby smoker :-/

Same here. I am a wanna be non smoker, on the fence with all the rules. I go with the flow.

This has nothing to do with Consideration, its about following the rules. How am I being inconsiderate by following Carnival's rules about smoking?

I respect your need to smoke and you have the right to do so. However, the consideration I am talking about is the next person coming into the Cabin after your cruise. After all you have paid for the cabin and if you want to smoke so be it. So I guess consideration does not come into it at all for smokers and how they leave the cabin for the next cruise. I have cruised with my sisters and they are both smokers. That is why we book a balcony. They are considerate towards my aversion to smoke and they respect that. In the long run, I still consider smoking in the Cabins a fire hazard. So all and all it is up to Carnival to adjust the smoking policy. So smoke in the Cabin it is your right.

I respect your need to smoke and you have the right to do so. However' date=' the consideration I am talking about is the next person coming into the Cabin after your cruise. After all you have paid for the cabin and if you want to smoke so be it. So I guess consideration does not come into it at all for smokers and how they leave the cabin for the next cruise. I have cruised with my sisters and they are both smokers. That is why we book a balcony. They are considerate towards my aversion to smoke and they respect that. In the long run, I still consider smoking in the Cabins a fire hazard. So all and all it is up to Carnival to adjust the smoking policy. So smoke in the Cabin it is your right.[/font']

Those who use the cabin after me are not my problem. As long as I am staying within the rules and don't damage the cabin, then wh should I care about the person staying in that cabin after me? If they happen to smell smoke, then that problem can be solved by contacting the steward. That sounds like a Carnival problem, not my problem.

Now, if I was cruising with a non-smoker, and they are staying in the same room as me and request that I don't smoke in the cabin,then I would leave the room to smoke. My wife also smokes so that really isnt't a problem for me.

DST, not a chance of getting a hotel room where smokers have been as I always ask for a room in a non-smoking floor..Hotels have come to their senses about smoking, time for cruiseline to do the same.

yep...but then again that would mean that most of the cabins would become non smoking....because...that is what cruisers would be asking for!!!

Oh the times..they are a changin'

I think you might have some bad info.

Yes bad info indeed - the Paradise was a non-smoking ship and they stopped it because it did not sail full due to the restrictions.....It is a smoking ship again with the same rules as the other ships in the fleet

Guess smokers do have a bit of leverage ;)

I think they are allowed to say that to discourage smokers. It is a nasty habit. Smoking in the cabin is the same as smoking in the next passenger's cabin. Those pax may object to a smoke-infested cabin, and the steward has to do extra work to disinfect, scrub the walls, etc.

The steward gets paid no more for the extra work and the smoker pays no more yet causes more work to be done. Smoking in the cabin should be allowed only if a $50 cleaning fee is paid... and the fee should go to the steward.

I agree! My DD is asthmatic and smoke triggers her asthma. If they want to allow smoking then I wish they would have "No Smoking" rooms like hotels.

I respect your need to smoke and you have the right to do so. However, the consideration I am talking about is the next person coming into the Cabin after your cruise. After all you have paid for the cabin and if you want to smoke so be it. So I guess consideration does not come into it at all for smokers and how they leave the cabin for the next cruise. I have cruised with my sisters and they are both smokers. That is why we book a balcony. They are considerate towards my aversion to smoke and they respect that. In the long run, I still consider smoking in the Cabins a fire hazard. So all and all it is up to Carnival to adjust the smoking policy. So smoke in the Cabin it is your right.

I totally agree with C'estsbon. I think cruise ships should have smoking and non smoking cabins. It is hard to understand why cruise ships allow smoking and would not allow someone to bring a portable coffee pot that only heats water and will turn off after dispensing the water. Go figure...It is really scarey to think someone would endanger others and not care about the guest that will be in the cabin after them. Yes, I am not a smoker, but been raised around smokers all my life. I do think there should be somewhere on the ship where smoking is allowed. Even the balcony should be ok. Oh well, people are going to do as they please. I have got to say, I never have smelled smoke in any cabin I have stayed in. Now that I know this is allowed, I will have to bring lots of spray and pray that the ship does not catch on fire....Ask any fireman if cigarettes are unflamable and see what they have to say. I have seen pictures of a house burning down due to ashes getting in the cushion of a couch.

I totally agree with C'estsbon. I think cruise ships should have smoking and non smoking cabins. It is hard to understand why cruise ships allow smoking and would not allow someone to bring a portable coffee pot that only heats water and will turn off after dispensing the water. Go figure...It is really scarey to think someone would endanger others and not care about the guest that will be in the cabin after them. Yes, I am not a smoker, but been raised around smokers all my life. I do think there should be somewhere on the ship where smoking is allowed. Even the balcony should be ok. Oh well, people are going to do as they please. I have got to say, I never have smelled smoke in any cabin I have stayed in. Now that I know this is allowed, I will have to bring lots of spray and pray that the ship does not catch on fire....Ask any fireman if cigarettes are unflamable and see what they have to say. I have seen pictures of a house burning down due to ashes getting in the cushion of a couch.

....so you didn't know that they allowed smoking in the room, and you say your have never smelled smoke in any cabin you have stayed in, but now that you know, you are gonna bring lots of spray??????

If you have never smelled smoke in any of the rooms you stayed in, then whats the need for the spray?

BTW...I am a volunteer firefighter and I know good and well that cigs cause lots of house fires, but with the new fire safe cigarettes out now, this is start becoming less and less an issue. I can barely get mine to stay lit long enough to smoke it, goes out very quickly if you are not drawing on it...

Oh yeah, you hear about cruise ships burning up all the time because of irresponsible smokers:rolleyes:

Those who use the cabin after me are not my problem. As long as I am staying within the rules and don't damage the cabin, then wh should I care about the person staying in that cabin after me? If they happen to smell smoke, then that problem can be solved by contacting the steward. That sounds like a Carnival problem, not my problem.

Now, if I was cruising with a non-smoker, and they are staying in the same room as me and request that I don't smoke in the cabin,then I would leave the room to smoke. My wife also smokes so that really isnt't a problem for me.

Those who use the cabin after me are not my problem. That sounds like a Carnival problem, not my problem.

I now see your indifference towards people. No more required.

huh? I do not smoke nasty cigarettes. When i smoke its always fine hand rolled cigars. They do not stink or leave an obnoxious odor.

Stewards do not like them, but carnival made the rules.

Sitting on the balcony smoking cigars with a martini or some crown. Priceless!!

pricelessly nasty

I see a lot of y'all think that smoking policies in Hotels should be adopted by the cruise line. The smoking policy in a hotel allows a smoker to walk out side and have a cigarette but for the life of me and can not figure out how a smoker is going to walk off the ship (while @ sea) to have a smoke without getting that cigarette soaked. I imagine it would be very hard to keep a soaked cigarette lit. :):)

I see a lot of y'all think that smoking policies in Hotels should be adopted by the cruise line. The smoking policy in a hotel allows a smoker to walk out side and have a cigarette but for the life of me and can not figure out how a smoker is going to walk off the ship (while @ sea) to have a smoke without getting that cigarette soaked. I imagine it would be very hard to keep a soaked cigarette lit. :):)

LOL thanks for the giggle (but yes so true)

And as another health care professional - drinking of horrible for your liver ....maybe Carnival should charge extra for drinkers :eek:

Alcohol consumption (especially red wine) can actually improve the health and life expectancy of some individuals. In most, alcohol can be regularly used in safe amounts. (granted, many have difficulty limiting themselves to those parameters but it is possible and many others do it.)

Smoking, however is "unsafe at any speed" and not just to the the smoker, but to anyone who gets a whiff of secondhand smoke or is exposed to the residue of third hand smoke.

Bottom line: NO comparison.

Hotels don't require you to smoke outside. They have different floors for smokers and non-smokers. Hotels are finding fewer and fewer customers requesting smoking rooms, which is why eventually the cruise lines will follow suit.

Depends where you are talking about. I just got back from a trip to Wisconsin and the whole hotel was non smoking had to go outside. It was the law no smoking anywhere indoors not just this hotel.

Alcohol consumption (especially red wine) can actually improve the health and life expectancy of some individuals. In most, alcohol can be regularly used in safe amounts. (granted, many have difficulty limiting themselves to those parameters but it is possible and many others do it.)

Smoking, however is "unsafe at any speed" and not just to the the smoker, but to anyone who gets a whiff of secondhand smoke or is exposed to the residue of third hand smoke.

Bottom line: NO comparison.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy that BS about getting a whiff of second hand smoke. The only way 2nd hand smoke is gonna bother you is if you are around it for extended periods of time...A Whiff is not going to cause cancer and it wont kill you.

Again choice, I would rather clean a dirty ashtray then look, smell or clean Sh!t

As a nurse, I have, indeed, cleaned more than my share of sh!t. And at the end of my shift, the odor never followed me home.

However after an afternoon at my mother's. My hair and clothing reeks of her cigarettes for hours!:eek:

They are both horrible, but cigarettes are amazingly tenacious as well.

And everyone around you. (that's the part you need some help with)

I'm not an idiot, and I don't need your help or anyone elses to know that they can be bad for those around me, but only if they are around me for a long time. But all you people who think that 5 minutes of exposure will kill you, or that staying in a room that a smoker occupied before you will ruin your vacation...ya'll are the ones that need some help or GET OVER IT.

209785544v13_480x480_Front.jpg

I'm not an idiot, and I don't need your help or anyone elses to know that they can be bad for those around me, but only if they are around me for a long time. But all you people who think that 5 minutes of exposure will kill you, or that staying in a room that a smoker occupied before you will ruin your vacation...ya'll are the ones that need some help or GET OVER IT.

I don't think you will have any trouble finding yourself without anyone around you on a cruise ship. I don't think anyone would get close enough to inhale your second hand smoke so, you are probably right in that regard.

I don't think you will have any trouble finding yourself without anyone around you on a cruise ship. I don't think anyone would get close enough to inhale your second hand smoke so, you are probably right in that regard.

Good, I would rather hang out with the smoking crowd. Its usually a better time anyway. Getting around all those hand waving in front of their face, over reacting, fake coughing, "allergic", "my right to breathe" non-smokers drives me crazy anyways.

Its LEGAL. Its ALLOWED. Get Over It!

Goodnight all.

Archived