How close to sailing time do you need to be back on board

merinski

We are thinking of going on a private tour in Mazatlan & are wondering how close to sailing do they want you back on the ship. We should be back 1/2 hr - 1 hr before we sail out. Thanks

The usual "back on board" deadline is 30 minutes prior to sailing. If you are tendering, add to that the time it takes the tender to reach the ship... probabably 45 minutes.

If you PLAN to be back a half hour before sailing, you are cutting it too close. Things happen and they won't wait for you. My advice is to book an earlier time slot, or choose a shorter tour.

If you PLAN to be back a half hour before sailing, you are cutting it too close. Things happen and they won't wait for you. My advice is to book an earlier time slot, or choose a shorter tour.

Or book the excursion through the ship. That way they have to wait for you! It is pricier (I do book private excursions myself) but you have the peace of mind knowing that the ship will not leave you if the excursion runs late. This happened on one of my last cruises, the dolphin swim ran late and we were an hour late leaving port while we waited for them.

The "official" word is one hour before sailing. The closest I have ever seen anyone cut it was a couple at Grand Turk last year. They were casually strolling down the pier. The passenger gangplanks had been pulled and the line handlers had removed most of the lines from the bollards. When they started to pull the crew gangway, the couple got the message and hurried aboard with about 15 seconds to spare.

I would suggest allowing somewhere close to the one hour so a minor malfunction will not cause you to miss the ship.

Doc

Aim for an hour than if your a bit late your still OK. :) Don't know if you've followed John Heald on FaceBook this past week but they do leave people behind. :eek:

I was on this cruise. It was the Splendor in Mazatlan. I stood on deck 3 and listened to their names being called. 15 minutes after the official time to be on board the crew hauled up the gangway and we sailed away. Later on that night John told us what had happened. The couple had rented a jeep and got it stuck on the beach 40 miles away. The couple stayed overnight in Mazatlan and flew to Cabo the next day. So don't be late or it will cost you.

We were on the Dream last summer at the same time the Oasis was docked right beside us. A bunch of us were out on the balcony watching and the next thing we heard was some awful screaming with choice words too!! It was a girl who only had on a bikini needless to say they had already pulled up everything and were backing out as she got closer to the ship, a few of her friends showed up a few mins later, there were about 5 of them who missed the ship...I kinda sorta didnt feel good about them not making it to the ship on time, but you are always told what time to be back by...rule of thumb be back a bit earlier than what you are told...just to be on the safe side!

A group of people were running up as we were pulling away.

Ah, nothing better than waving goodbye to a pier runner!:D

We saw a guy come back to the ship once just as they were starting to untie the boat. The crowd was all jeering the guy as he got out of the cab, obviously drunk.

When he looked up at the ship he saw he was the center of attention and started to dance. The Captain then blew the ships horn at him and he ran straight to the gangway as fast as he could. The horn is loud enough to make you sober real quick!

It is a good idea to be back at least 20 - 30 minutes before the final boarding time. Trust me, they will leave without you because I have seen it done several times. Don't cut your boarding time too close......

Archived