Help needed on Belize City

maestra

My husband and I are planning a cruise this July that will stop in Belize City. Can anyone who has been there recently tell me what it is like? I've heard some not so nice things and just wanted to check things out. This site has always been helpful. Thanks.

My husband and I are planning a cruise this July that will stop in Belize City. Can anyone who has been there recently tell me what it is like? I've heard some not so nice things and just wanted to check things out. This site has always been helpful. Thanks.

Belize is my favorite port. My partner and I have considered moving there once our daughter is older and opening our own orphanage there.

The not so good things you've heard usually revolve around the people and the shopping, etc. This is all relative, and opinions vary from person to person.

If you expect McDonald's and Wal Mart, you'll be very disappointed. But if you enjoy meeting locals, seeing local crafts and seeing how the real people of these places live you'll be amazed and never want to leave.

There's a great little flea market just outside the gates of the Tourism Village. You are generally warned not to go out there because it's "dangerous". It isn't any more dangerous than any poor town in the US. There are local tour operators trying to drum up a bit of business. They are very pushy (they don't touch you like the vendors in Costa Maya do). But if you tell them "no" with conviction, they'll stop. Inside the flea market, the tour operators don't bother you. It's a small market, and most of the people are more than happy to talk to you about their country. It's also my favorite place to shop out of all the ports I've gone to (ok, not that many!). The market is where you can get some great deals, and they have a lot of haggling with you on prices too. They make it a game, and laughs are usually had by everyone involved.

Inside the tourism village there are a lot of little shops. Prices are higher than if you venture into the business and banking district (not sure the exact name the locals call the area). Haggling isn't as common. You can get some decent deals. Particularly on local crafts and imported things. (If you're a beer drinker, be sure and try a Belikin!)

I guess it really depends on what you want out of your visit.

If you want to snorkel, there's some of the best snorkeling in the world (so I'm told) on the Cayes. Ambergris is the most popular and touristy, but I've heard they don't clean the turtle grass out of all the beaches. I've been told that Caye Caulker is the best for snorkeling. And a much shorter ride via water taxi. There are some Mayan Ruins that might interest you. There's also a very popular Cave Tubing excursion. This is supposed to be a "must do" although I've yet to do it (My next trip we arrive entirely too early in my opinion for water sports of any kind)

Try some of the Belize websites (feel free to email me Babie1093@hotmail.com. I have tons links for Belize) and research what might interest you.

Hope my rambling babble helps a bit :o

LES!

Belize City itself is not particularly attractive or interesting (nice shopping area by the port though). HOWEVER there are plenty of wonderful excursions to take in Belize.

Many people have enjoyed cave tubing.

Some have taken ferries to one of the Cays.

Lots of good Mayan ruins in Belize. Personally we took an excusion to Lamanai and loved it. (Exciting speed boat ride along the New River with stops to see wildlife (lots of birds, baby crocodile) and the ruins at Lamanai are excellent.)

Belize City itself is not particularly attractive or interesting (nice shopping area by the port though). HOWEVER there are plenty of wonderful excursions to take in Belize.

Many people have enjoyed cave tubing.

Some have taken ferries to one of the Cays.

Lots of good Mayan ruins in Belize. Personally we took an excusion to Lamanai and loved it. (Exciting speed boat ride along the New River with stops to see wildlife (lots of birds, baby crocodile) and the ruins at Lamanai are excellent.)

We took this tour in December and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think to enjoy Belize you need to either get wet (terrific reviews on the snorkel and scuba adventures) or get out into the country. As Zeno noted, Belize City itself is not very attractive - but then again, neither were Puerto Limon or Colon.

• 2 weeks later...

Belize was our favorite stop. We were on the Elation in Feb, 17th,stop. The

people of Belize were the friendliest & most helpful. We went on a city tour

& yes it is very poverty stricken. It makes you appreciate what we do have.

The shopping was good.

I been to Belize in Febuary did a tour with *****, It was the highlight of my cruise. Friendly people, Good shopping and clean. There is a flee market at the tourist area, You can bargain with some of the venders.

At Altun Ha there are the kids with parrots, Racoons, and Snakes for pets.

All the kids was friendly.

Cath :cool:

Belize is a great port except for the tendering. It is quite a contrast to Cozemel or Grand cayman, not touristy and built up. Friendly people, great scenery, super snorkeling or diving, cave tubing and historical ruins. Nice choices. We will be back for our 3rd cruise and will do cave tubing.

Archived