Belize or Costa Maya - which is best for beach day?

GeorgiaMomof4

Cruising next April 2 on Carnival Dream. There are 9 of us ranging in ages from 47 down to 6. We are trying to decide which of the ports either Belize or Costa Maya would be the best for a beach day. We prefer not to book through the cruise line (in hopes of saving money and less crowds) - would like a quiet, laid back, beautiful beach and water with easy access to the water and maybe some water toys for the kids. Nothing too crowded though. Which port and which beach do you all recommend? Thanks in advance for your response.

Ditto Costa Maya. Catch a cab/van to the fishing village of Majahual ($3 to, $2 back.) 10 minute ride. Walk the boardwalk (Malecon) and pick your spot in front of one many bars/restaurants. Most offer free chairs/loungers as long as you buy drinks/food from them. Most relaxing day at the beach we've found.

OK - Costa Maya for Beach! What do we do in Belize then? Any suggestions? Doing dolphin swim in Coz, Victor Bodden in Roatan, so not sure what to do in Belize - it needs to be inexpensive though!

Easy - Costa Maya by a huge margin. Find something else to do in Belize.

OK - Costa Maya for Beach! What do we do in Belize then? Any suggestions? Doing dolphin swim in Coz, Victor Bodden in Roatan, so not sure what to do in Belize - it needs to be inexpensive though!

I would recommend cave tubing or a Mayan ruins tour (Altun Ha tours are inexpensive). Make sure you do something in Belize other than just walking around the port. If you pick any port to do an excursion, Belize should be it. Belize is beautiful and interesting, but not in the port area. Most people who are disappointed with Belize are people who walk around Belize City and think the whole country is like that. It's not. Belize is a country for exploring and rainforest and scuba diving and adventure; it's not a country for laying on the beach or upscale shopping. If nothing else take a water taxi to Caye Caulker - just don't hang around Belize City all day. Oh, and if you do decide to ignore my advise and hang around Belize City, please don't come back to this board and trash the whole country of Belize and say it is ugly or dangerous or whatever. It kind of gets tiresome.

Ditto Costa Maya. Catch a cab/van to the fishing village of Majahual ($3 to, $2 back.) 10 minute ride. Walk the boardwalk (Malecon) and pick your spot in front of one many bars/restaurants. Most offer free chairs/loungers as long as you buy drinks/food from them. Most relaxing day at the beach we've found.

I agree Costa Maya...

Thanks Bill! I'll check into that. By the way, our family comes to Ormond every year for vacation. I truly envy you - it's such a beautiful area. We stay at Plantation Island just down the street from Julian's.

For Belize why not Google up the Coral Breeze Tours site & go snorkening off of Caye Caulker & then go to Caye Caulker for a great local lunch with your snorkel group.

It is hard to beat this trip which we do twice each year with them

Enjoy Belize.

Bill in FL

I looked at Coral Breeze website and unfortunately it's a little more than we will be able to spend because of our other excursions in the other ports. Any ideas for Belize that might be less expensive?

Thanks Bill! I'll check into that. By the way, our family comes to Ormond every year for vacation. I truly envy you - it's such a beautiful area. We stay at Plantation Island just down the street from Julian's.

I looked at Coral Breeze website and unfortunately it's a little more than we will be able to spend because of our other excursions in the other ports. Any ideas for Belize that might be less expensive?

Altun Ha Tours is not expensive thats is what we r doing there in 2 weeks............ very excited

Archived