are the passengers still on board pacific jewel

Drelix

they had engine problems and canceled the next cruise completely just wondering whats happening onboard with the passengers.

are they still on board or what... it all seems hush hush

I would still be on board. There is no need to disrupt the passengers' holiday by flying them home, or for P & O to incur the cost of this. The Captain announced that the ship is safe to sail, but is travelling slower than usual. Passengers were asked to submit claims for expenses caused by the delay.

The cruise is expected to take 24 hours more than usual - a 9 night cruise becomes a 10 night cruise. I am sure they have enough food, even if they might run low on a particular item or two.

Hi all, on our last cruise they were running out food and on tuesday morning the was no milk as it had gone off and there was very little choice of what food to have.

Oh please spare me! The ship is sailing from Noumea to Sydney - it is expected to be a day late, it is not out in the middle of the Indian Ocean or South Atlantic where it could be several days from a port. The decission to proceed at a slower rate was made before the ship left Noumea, I'm sure that if anything essential was running short it would have been restocked before sailing - the passangers won't starve.

Amazes me how little people really know or understand about operating a ship - to even think that a ship would leave a port with so few provisions that there was a potential that they would run out with a delay of 24 hours is incredible! Yes some items may run low, but believe me she could float around for a few more days yet before things became critical.

As for keeping it quiet - I disagree. P&O have advised the affected passangers, it is on their F/B page, what more is there to say, it is hardly worthy of front page news.

Sorry to sound testy, but there does seem to be a lot of negativity around when it's anything to do with P&O.

David

Oh please spare me! The ship is sailing from Noumea to Sydney - it is expected to be a day late, it is not out in the middle of the Indian Ocean or South Atlantic where it could be several days from a port. The decission to proceed at a slower rate was made before the ship left Noumea, I'm sure that if anything essential was running short it would have been restocked before sailing - the passangers won't starve.

Amazes me how little people really know or understand about operating a ship - to even think that a ship would leave a port with so few provisions that there was a potential that they would run out with a delay of 24 hours is incredible! Yes some items may run low, but believe me she could float around for a few more days yet before things became critical.

As for keeping it quiet - I disagree. P&O have advised the affected passangers, it is on their F/B page, what more is there to say, it is hardly worthy of front page news.

Sorry to sound testy, but there does seem to be a lot of negativity around when it's anything to do with P&O.

David

Here hear David, I totally agree with your sentiments. As for front page news, it made a short paragraph on about page 10 of today's Daily Telegraph in Sydney.

David

Hooray, for commonsense. I don't think anyone is going to starve in 24 hours! There is no need to fly anyone home as they are quite safe - just a slower trip.

By the way, I see P&O is going to extend the period in which they must take their next cruise, which is good thing because some won't be able to take time off work.

David

I agree with you as for this cruise that is Pacific Jewel, as they may taken on more provions at Noumea as P&O new that it was going to take longer then normal to get to sydney.

I agree with you as for this cruise that is Pacific Jewel, as they may taken on more provions at Noumea as P&O new that it was going to take longer then normal to get to sydney.

That's possible. They were in Noumea for an extra 1/2 a day, and they knew they had at least an extra 24hrs cruising to get back to Sydney so they might well have done some top up provisioning in Noumea.

This is a completely different set of circumstances to Pacific Dawn, which held up at the last minute - ironically, practically within sight of it's provisions.

That's possible. They were in Noumea for an extra 1/2 a day, and they knew they had at least an extra 24hrs cruising to get back to Sydney so they might well have done some top up provisioning in Noumea.

This is a completely different set of circumstances to Pacific Dawn, which held up at the last minute - ironically, practically within sight of it's provisions.

yes it is completly different circumstances between the jewel and the pacific dawn. and no we were not going to starve to death on the dawn. but some may have hope we did lol

just 1 day late we were informed, then our cruise was cancelled because repairs would take a lot longer than they thought..... :(

We're back home from Sydney now....we didn't get notifiation in time to not fly out of Adelaide....so we had a night in Sydney and came home this afternoon....:(

I am sorry i got all my information from some one who said it was like going to be 3 days late back or something not one day i am sorry for sounding like an idiot

Drelix, you didn't sound like an idiot. I'm sure there have been many rumours flying about. A lot of people get the wrong information and spread it without first checking if it's correct.

I see you have another cruise booked. :) Where are you going this time?

just 1 day late we were informed, then our cruise was cancelled because repairs would take a lot longer than they thought..... :(

We're back home from Sydney now....we didn't get notifiation in time to not fly out of Adelaide....so we had a night in Sydney and came home this afternoon....:(

Oh Lizard, I'm so sorry. We've all been feeling bad for you folks. What a huge disappointment. Hope you are able to get on another cruise in the not too distant future.

Hey Lizard, sorry for your cancelled cruise and travel arrangements.

I will assume you had Travel Insurance. I and I'm sure others would appreciate it if you can let us know how you get on with your expenses including reimbursement of your flight and accomodation costs seeing they were all part of your holiday that was affected.

What I mean is: yes you had a flight to Sydney and back but you wouldn't have even done this if you werent going on the cruise. Again I assume that if your flights were booked through P&O as part of your package that they would reimburse these costs.

Anyway we would be intersted.

You sure read a lot of misinformation posted by some folks.

In fifty years of cruising I have had all sorts of delays and hold-ups in many parts of the world.

NOT ONCE HAS THE SHIP RUN OUT OF FOOD !!!!!!!

Does anyone out there really believe that the ship caries only enough food and supplies for the exact number of days of a cruise?

For a good part of my working life I was directly involved with the operation of cruise and passenger ships...you would have to at sea in a real remote part of the ocean for an awful long time to run out of food.

Seems to me that some folk just like knocking P&O, and yet they still keep on re booking ::confused:

That's very true, Frederick43!

Re food, I can't imagine any ship etc would take just enough food for a set number of days. Of course they would carry plenty of extra food, long-life milk, flour etc. They may run out of some perishables such as fruit, but I'm sure there would be plenty of the tinned stuff! :)

Hey Lizard, sorry for your cancelled cruise and travel arrangements.

I will assume you had Travel Insurance. I and I'm sure others would appreciate it if you can let us know how you get on with your expenses including reimbursement of your flight and accomodation costs seeing they were all part of your holiday that was affected.

What I mean is: yes you had a flight to Sydney and back but you wouldn't have even done this if you werent going on the cruise. Again I assume that if your flights were booked through P&O as part of your package that they would reimburse these costs.

Anyway we would be intersted.

Hi stanc61.

Yes we def had travel insurance....never leave home without it.:)

P&O have told me all reasonable out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed....flights, including the cost incurred to change the flight home, hotels, taxi, food,Travel Insurance. A full fare refund and 25% off our next cruise.....

We didn't book through P&O but a TA and flights I did online myself.

Now as soon as hubby knows if he has a job to go to, I'll hunt for a cruise next year :)

Hi All :)

The delayed cruise is back :) We arrived Sydney harbour yesterday morning. Never did we have any problems with food, nothing ran out, it was great, they even put on extra shows and entertainment, everything was absolutely fabulous, review to follow :)

Archived