Help me make the most of our upcoming cruise in an A3

roveer

What would make her 'figure you for low tippers' ?

I have been in the service industry before, and also owned/ran two businesses that dealt directly with people who were in the position of spending money that HAD a lot of money.

I can tell you that the ones with the least amount of disposable income tipped the best.........odd, right?

That is kind of why in a few places I asked if it is better to tip by the day or at the end, but......idk--

I wonder if I made up a little list, then said, 'we will be sure to take care of you--I have been in the service industry and ........' that kind of thing

I'm guessing about the low tipper thing. DH and I are very down to earth, ordinary dressers. We don't wear expensive clothes (although we have really good luggage - Travelpro - that I got for 75% off :>). I honestly can't think of any other reason why B would blow us off, yet get good reviews from a couple of other cruisers. And I had documented something objective - refusal to do what is considered a regular, routine service when asked nicely - as opposed to subjective, so it isn't that we just "didn't like her". She was sweet and respectful enough and did an ok job servicing the coffee machine and keeping DH supplied with cake & milk, but my sense was she really was doing the bare minimum, if that, for us (and THAT is subjective!)

I have no other explanation for our experience.

but really, don't let it put you off! The other aspects of suite life on this trip were so great that DH, who is ridiculously picky, agreed to do it again next christmas, in exactly the same suite, because he liked it so much! couldn't stop talking about how great everything was after we got home!

Another post for crabby apple - you had asked about suite hair care stuff - it is TO DIE FOR! At least on the Epic! I love the liquid soap, which comes in small bottles. it's pepperminty! And the cream rinse left my hair so nice and soft! Shampoo I can't tell one from another, but based on the soap & cream rinse I'm sure it is very nice too. If you need more just ask, they'll resupply. No need to bring along shampoo, soap, cream rinse, skin lotion, their stuff is wonderful. Do bring along sunscreen though, and insect repellent if you are doing a Caribbean itinerary.

I am a pretty laid back person when it comes to butlers and concierges - and I am one of those who avoids conflict at all costs (one of the things I would like to improve about myself). I have found that all but one of our butlers was very easy, friendly, efficient. The day we arrive, I do a few things: I get ashtrays from the stewards, ask them for an extra balcony chair if I need one, have him empty the fridge and tell them we use a LOT of ice lol. I have the first 2 or 3 days dining reservation requests pre-written for the concierge (lest I forget in all the excitement and can't get a reservation when I remember to do it!). I tell the butler that we are pretty easy to please, will probably only be having a few breakfasts ensuite, check for restaurant menus in the suite and have him bring them if they are missing, and make sure he checks the coffee maker "dregs drawer" (on more than one cruise it was full the first time we wanted to make coffee - I think it fills up on previous cruises and people don't know to ask the butler to empty it) - plus I tell him also that we use a LOT of ice lol and ask for an extra wine bucket to chill whatever wine we have brought onboard. If we have ordered a "bar setup" I usually let the butler know what mixers we will be needing as well, but tell them to take their time! I usually make a short list for myself to remind me what to cover, as the excitement of checking in takes all thoughts directly out of my mind - this next one will include asking for a mattress topper for the pull-out in the second bedroom for MIL, something I will no doubt forget as we usually don't use that bed!

The only cruise where we had a "bad butler" was a short 2 day cruise-to-nowhere, so it wasn't worth complaining. On our GV cruise, our butler was a little less than stellar at the beginning, but moved up to amazing as a few days went by with no complaining from us, I think he just needed to know what we wanted and I am not as "demanding" (not quite the right word) as I need to be. If your butler is bad, you can try talking nicely to them if it's a specific problem (like late breakfast, etc). Could be that every one of their suites orders breakfast for the same time and he is simply doing his best. If it's consistent or several things, try talking to the concierge OR the hotel manager, whichever you feel more comfortable speaking with. You usually get to know the concierge better than the hotel director, but I have found more "bad" concierges than butlers, making it tougher to talk to them - and more spectacular ones too! If you feel very comfortable with your concierge, by all means ask them to intervene. But if you are not, sometimes it is easier to speak directly to the hotel manager, if he is a complete stranger sometimes it makes it easier. On the Jade last winter, one of our CC friends "fired" their butler and got a new one by speaking to the concierge lol (quite honestly, I didn't think their issues were that bad, but the important thing is that they did).

Robin

Thank you thank you sooooo very much.

Will we need/can we get reservations if we want to dine in the main dining room? I know we usually 'check out' the menu when they post it daily then decide from there.

We are looking forward to trying the sushi bar also. It is hard to get sushi of many variety in Germany

Can people see in from the outside when your taking a shower in an A3? We'll be in one in June

Yes and no... The windows are "blacked out" and very small to see and at weird angles from the port - so not really... BUT, if it's dark out and you are showering in the lit up shower, they might be able to see more. There is a pull down blind in the shower to use if you are in doubt or very modest. Also, keep in mind that some A3s on some ships (I know only specifically on the Jewel in a specific cabin) there is a protruding promenade deck directly below your suite, and I suppose those poeple walking out there could potentially see if they went out to the rail, turned around, craned their necks and looked. Some ships have "baffles" around the villa deck that block the view from the promenade deck - not sure who has them or what. When in doubt, go for the A3 that is farther back, where the promenade deck cuts back in to go under your balcony, rather than in front of it (see the deck plans). And don't forget the window washers! They can sneak up on you in port - sometimes you get a notice that they will be there, sometimes not, and sometimes you hear them coming lol... I have given more than one of them a free show!

Robin

Thank you thank you sooooo very much.

Will we need/can we get reservations if we want to dine in the main dining room? I know we usually 'check out' the menu when they post it daily then decide from there.

We are looking forward to trying the sushi bar also. It is hard to get sushi of many variety in Germany

You can likely get reservations if you ask the concierge but likely won't need them.. Haven't dined in the main dining room in ages, so can't really tell you for sure.. Sushi on the Jade is limited but very good, and all you can eat! If you don't want to sit at the bar there are tables in there shared with the asian restaurant.. Another tip, hubby and I will sometimes eat off of two different menus there - he orders the asian, I order sushi, and we split it. Each person can only order off one menu for one cover price, but you can certainly share!

Robin

You can likely get reservations if you ask the concierge but likely won't need them.. Haven't dined in the main dining room in ages, so can't really tell you for sure.. Sushi on the Jade is limited but very good, and all you can eat! If you don't want to sit at the bar there are tables in there shared with the asian restaurant.. Another tip, hubby and I will sometimes eat off of two different menus there - he orders the asian, I order sushi, and we split it. Each person can only order off one menu for one cover price, but you can certainly share!

Robin

Ooooh, Robin, tell me more please!! I love sushi AND Asian! I know nothing about Jade, just booked recently. I only do vegetarian, California roll & shrimp sushi. Is this an upcharge restaurant? How does it work and do you possibly have a link to a menu? Although I can search for it given the restaurant name....And can you really sit there and have all the sushi or items off Asian menu you want, and share? I'll have to see if my roommmate likes this type of food!

Dear friends:

I see no problem in bringing your guests to the Courtyard with you under certain circumstances. The obvious circumstance is to make sure that the Courtyard isn't crowded and by bringing your guests you are not inconveniencing anybody else.

I don't agree with other people loudly complaining about people being in the Courtyard when for the most part it is none of their business why those people are there.

We have sailed several times in the Garden Villa -- just two people. When just two people sail, you basically pay nearly the entire fare normally charged for a total of six people, since additional people pay a symbolic fare. We have brought guests to the Courtyard and to our Garden Villa on several occasions.

Under this circumstance, if I choose to bring four guests with me to the Courtyard I believe that is an issue between me and NCL (who by the way has no problem in this respect). If I arrived there and found a loud mouthed passenger complaining about something that was none of his business I would definitely put him in his place.

Let's even get back to the original poster. The original poster is putting a whole group of people in a cabin that I, personally, believe is comfortable for two adults and one child. Obviously, all of those passengers are perfectly entitled to use the Courtyard Villa.

But let's say I book an A2 Deluxe Owner's Suite, and we want to invite upstairs our friends who are staying in an AD regular suite. When we do this sort of thing, we always tell NCL first. So if NCL doesn't mind, why is it other people's business.

In any case, to the original poster, in our opinion no other mainstream cruise line gives you the service that NCL gives in their suites. I hope you have a really nice time.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I don't agee. You don't pay for the courtyard perk, you don't belong there -period!

I don't agee. You don't pay for the courtyard perk, you don't belong there -period!

I agree. I'll raise my point once again that we would love to cruise with brother in law & wife but they choose not to pay for a suite, and DH and I love the suite life and won't cruise any other way - and if we pay the $$$ we absolutely are NOT going to pass up the perks. It would be a perfect solution for us to invite BIL & DW to share the CY with us, but we don't because if every CY pax invited one guest, the CY would be equally crowded to the rest of the ship, and there goes the biggest suite perk IMHO.

If you bring in guests when "the CY isn't crowded and you aren't inconveniencing anyone" then EVERY CY pax should be allowed to do the same, and then the CY will be crowded. Sorry, JMO. What gives one pax more right to bring guests than any other pax?

Or if it is actually OK to bring guest, please do LMK and BIL & DW will immediately book the same cruise as us, and we'll invite them to share our suite perks. For that matter, we'll have other friends & family cruise too, ask them to pitch in towards the cost of our suite and invite them to share also!

I see you said NCL doesn't mind - guess BIL & DW might be joining us for a future cruise!! (tongue in cheek!)

"If you bring in guests when "the CY isn't crowded and you aren't inconveniencing anyone" then EVERY CY pax should be allowed to do the same, and then the CY will be crowded. Sorry, JMO. What gives one pax more right to bring guests than any other pax? "

Perfectly said! Thank you!

We have a 10 year old son with us, which is a dilemma, since now we have 'met' via internet another family with a little boy. Too bad we cannot just add him as a pax to our room so he can come up and play in our room. I bet he can play IN our room, just not in the pool, right?

Do you know?

Would people be offended if he came to our room to play a game with our son, we wouldn't feed him or anything :)

I guess from what I am reading that is a big no. I don't want to tick anyone off that is for sure. Everyone needs to have a nice time.

I can say that when my parents had an owner's suite on Costa, they invited us to their room many times to sit around and chat in their living area. Not any sort of courtyard but their room.

We have a 10 year old son with us, which is a dilemma, since now we have 'met' via internet another family with a little boy. Too bad we cannot just add him as a pax to our room so he can come up and play in our room. I bet he can play IN our room, just not in the pool, right?

Do you know?

Would people be offended if he came to our room to play a game with our son, we wouldn't feed him or anything :)

I guess from what I am reading that is a big no. I don't want to tick anyone off that is for sure. Everyone needs to have a nice time.

I can say that when my parents had an owner's suite on Costa, they invited us to their room many times to sit around and chat in their living area. Not any sort of courtyard but their room.

Hello again, Crabby! It is 100% absolutely OK to have all the guests you want in your room, and even give them a quick tour of the CY area! Nothing wrong with that, no one, not even the biggest hard**s, objects! It's YOUR space and you can do whatever you want there!!! You can even ask your butler to bring in lunch or dinner for EVERYONE, including the child's parents, as often as you like!!!! The only thing to keep in mind, and you are already aware of this, is add something to your planned tip for bringing additional meal(s) for your guests. You can even ask butler to bring cookies & milk for both children for a snack, or the little guest can sleep over with your son. It's all good!

The issue that's being debated is if person 1 books a suite with suite privileges and they bring one or more guests into SHARED/PUBLIC/COMMON private suite areas or restaurants, but other suite pax can't do this. Any suite pax can have all the company they want in their own suite!

Dear friends:

"We have sailed several times in the Garden Villa -- just two people. When just two people sail, you basically pay nearly the entire fare normally charged for a total of six people, since additional people pay a symbolic fare. We have brought guests to the Courtyard and to our Garden Villa on several occasions.

Under this circumstance, if I choose to bring four guests with me to the Courtyard I believe that is an issue between me and NCL (who by the way has no problem in this respect). If I arrived there and found a loud mouthed passenger complaining about something that was none of his business I would definitely put him in his place."

Then I suppose I can bring 3 other people into courtyard since my room holds that many. I would not dream on doing this. It is just wrong. I hope one day you are put in your place, and told no.

Do you know?

You can have anyone in your room.. that is your business. They just can not go into courtyard or upper private sun deck areas.

Archived