Is this possible in time docked in Burnie?

woodley

We are docked in Burnie from 8-6. I want to rent a car and drive to Trowunna wildlike park then back track to stanley stopping for lunch before going to the top of the Nut.

Has anyone any idea of how long it takes to get to the care hire office and if we will have time to do the above then return the car before we set sail again.

We are docked in Burnie from 8-6. I want to rent a car and drive to Trowunna wildlike park then back track to stanley stopping for lunch before going to the top of the Nut.

Has anyone any idea of how long it takes to get to the care hire office and if we will have time to do the above then return the car before we set sail again.

Hi Woodley, It's just under a 2 hour drive form Burnie to Trowunna (Mole Creek) and then 2 hours back to Burnie. Stanley (The Nut) is in the opposite direction and it's about a 1 hour drive.

A lot of the car hire companies will meet the cruise ships at the dock. I suggest you ask them.

As your 2 destinations are in completely different directions it will make for a very long driving day if you did both.

My suggestion would be drive the 2 hours to Mole Creek and spend a couple of hours at Trowunna Wildlife Park have lunch and then head back to Burnie via Devonport.

A lot of the car hire companies will meet the cruise ships at the dock. I suggest you ask them.

Definitely check the pick up point with the rental company.

The dock at Burnie is a working one and you have to take the provided shuttle, usually to the visitors Centre or the towns Main Street.

We were on the Volendam last December and hired a car through Thrifty at Burnie. You are taken by shuttle to the new visitor information centre (you have to use the shuttle to exit and enter the working port), thrifty had our car waiting there.

We drove west Along the coast, and called into a few beaches along the way and headed to Stanley and had morning tea at a quaint little cafe, it is very English there, we then took a chairlift up the nut. Well worth it, we then drove to the "Highfields House" which the locals will happily direct you to, and took in the beautiful views back to the "Nut" http://www.stanleytasmania.com.au/index.html we then drove back to Stanley and went to a waterfall, (we followed an itinerary of HAL's). Well worth going to Stanley. Also a lot of fields of flowers we drove through.

We drove through some really beautiful country. As suggested before, it is impossible to combine both destinations.

We were on the Volendam last December and hired a car through Thrifty at Burnie. You are taken by shuttle to the new visitor information centre (you have to use the shuttle to exit and enter the working port), thrifty had our car waiting there.

Thanks for that information. Very good to know. If we ever find ourselves back at Burnie, I think we will do exactly the same.

Been there twice now and know just about every shop in the CBD.

Took the Hop on Hop off bus but did not get off , so next time must go further afield.

Thanks for that information. Very good to know. If we ever find ourselves back at Burnie, I think we will do exactly the same.

Been there twice now and know just about every shop in the CBD.

Took the Hop on Hop off bus but did not get off , so next time must go further afield.

From what we saw of Burnie itself, it wasn't that great a place, you need to get out of the town to appreciate the area.

• 2 weeks later...

coming from a Devo girl here, Burnie is a hole LOL!!! There is also a great food drive tour you do, which is very popular with the self drivers :) I have posted the link previously.

BUT I don't think you can go past a good day at Stanley and the Nut, really is a fab day. Unless you need to see the animals, Stanley would be my suggestion. The locals are friendly and don't give two hoots that you are tourists, you get treated the same as if you were a 3rd generation-er :)

coming from a Devo girl here, Burnie is a hole LOL!!! There is also a great food drive tour you do, which is very popular with the self drivers :) I have posted the link previously.

BUT I don't think you can go past a good day at Stanley and the Nut, really is a fab day. Unless you need to see the animals, Stanley would be my suggestion. The locals are friendly and don't give two hoots that you are tourists, you get treated the same as if you were a 3rd generation-er :)

Please . . . please that will be enough about singing my praises . . . LOL

• 2 weeks later...
ha ha ha!!! BUT..... who is the "nut" Stan, hope it aint your better half !!!!:p

No she is the smarter of this partnership . . . lol . . . Iv'e been to Tassie twice and haven't actually been to Stanley or The Nut, next time for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Let's add on to this thread and see if I can get an answer also.

What are the odds I can rent the car in Burnie drive to Point Beauty for the SeaHorse house and Platypus house. Drive back to the wildlife park in Mole creek. Stop for a couple minutes at the Marble house in Sheffield before returning car in Burnie. Google maps says it should take 4 hours and 45 minutes drive time. Is that a good estimate? Is the scenery on that route ordinary or extraordinary? Don't care about food stops as that is what the cruise ship is for.

Should we skip the wildlife park and see the Melbourne or Sydney zoos instead?

• 1 month later...

Archived