To Dream or not to Dream...some questions

daisy7113

RMLERL-

Thank you SO much...just the kind of input I am looking for! I will be anxiously awating you review of your 'dream " cruise.

Since we live in Brazil , doubt the poverty in Belize would shock the kids , so that´s not really an issue...I am really leaning towards booking with Carnival.

Would love to hear further opinions...

Thanks

Kim

Daisy7113..glad you booked the Dream! Sorry to have kind of hijacked your thread!

Just sailed the Dream 10/16/10. We loved it. Just hubby and I plus a fun-tastic roll call group.

There were only 2 times we really felt crowded. Embarkation, lido deck. But we met friends from a previous cruise at the pasta bar at 1 and almost had it to ourselves. Fantastic.

The 2nd time was lunch on lido the last sea day, but we'd been on deck all day and a shower came along so we (along with everyone else) decided it was time to eat lunch. A bit of a mad house.

Never smelled the smell and never met a cranky crew member.

We are normally fans of the spirit class ship but we enjoyed the Dream so much we are seriously considering it again next fall.

We did western

Cozumel--Nachi Cocum

Belize--quick trip to the pharmacy and spent the day on the ship. Loved it

Roatan--We just enjoyed Mahogany Bay (did Viktor Bodden last time)

Costa Maya--bus to Majahul.

We had an inside spa cabin on deck 11--perfect location. Just steps from being on the deck. Spa was really nice but we only used it 3 times. Just too many other things to do.

Anytime dining rocks!

We spent our deck time 1 deck up from lido on deck 11. Lounge chairs in the shade. Mine facing the sea with a good book. Hubby's facing the big screen watching a concert or movie. Perfect spot for us. We spent many hours here. There are tons of chairs all the way around this deck and I never ever saw them even half full.

My friend had a cove balcony and next time that is what I want!

Welp didn't plan to do a mini review, but there it is. :D

I have read all these comments with interest...I am seriously considering booking the Dream for a family reunion cruise in Jan. 2012.

I am actually torn between 2 ships and itineraries. Most of the people in our group are cruising "newbies" and have never been to the Caribbean.

I want to leave from Port Canaveral and I am looking at Freedom of the Seas and the Dream.

Freedom visits :

Cozumel

Falmouth , Jamaica

Labadee

Grand Cayman

Dream hits:

Belize

Roatan

Cozumel

Costa Maya

I want the best itinerary for newbies (I have done the Freedom´s itinerary , but not the Dream´s).I have read almost 100% good reviews on the Freedom and iffy reviews on the Dream. I have an open mind and take reviews with a grain of salt. I´ve never sailed on Carnival , so don´t know exactly what to expect (I usually sail on Celebrity).

Our group will have all ages , with a good size group of "tweens".

Thanks, I´really appreciate any input.

Kim

Cozumel...eh.

I did like Costa Maya a lot...we did a ruins tour, and it was great, but some people we met did a beach day on their own and loved it.

I know nothing about Labadee but personally I think Grand Cayman is way overrated. We went there and had a great tour, but the island itself just didn't seem like much to me. I haven't been to Falmouth specifically but I've been to Jamaica...it's a beautiful place and can be a lot of fun, but I went there for 6 days and I think I would suggest that over a cruise because there really is a TON to do on Jamaica, it being a slightly larger island. Plus flights can be pretty affordable...the reason I cruise is to visit places that it would otherwise cost me lots of $$$ to get to by plane.

Belize and Roatan are the ports that tipped me to Carnival's favor for our recent Dream cruise. The first time I went to Belize we did the Goff's Caye snorkeling excursion...the little cay was amazing, the snorkeling was good, it was just a wonderful day all around. This time we went cave tubing and again, an amazing experience. Roatan is a no-brainer. I did the Tabyana (sp?) Beach day on my first cruise there...beautiful beach, amazing snorkeling. This time we spent the day at Gumbalimba park...went kayaking, snorkeling and toured the park, saw all sorts of animals and the monkeys crawled all over us!

I encountered a few less-than-stellar crew members on the Dream. There were one or two moments where I *think* I smelled that smell...but notice I said moments, and notice I said "think". I feel like because so many people talked about it, I could have been just looking to smell it and imagining things. If that wasn't the case and the smell actually existed, it was there one moment, gone the next...never lingering or really bad or whatever.

I've never sailed Celebrity but I think whether you go with Carnival or RCI you have to understand that you're probably taking a step down. I'm of the firm belief that if you go into your cruise with an open mind and simply wanting to have a good time/experience, it can't ever really be horrible :)

I have read all these comments with interest...I am seriously considering booking the Dream for a family reunion cruise in Jan. 2012.

I am actually torn between 2 ships and itineraries. Most of the people in our group are cruising "newbies" and have never been to the Caribbean.

I want to leave from Port Canaveral and I am looking at Freedom of the Seas and the Dream.

Freedom visits :

Cozumel

Falmouth , Jamaica

Labadee

Grand Cayman

Dream hits:

Belize

Roatan

Cozumel

Costa Maya

I want the best itinerary for newbies (I have done the Freedom´s itinerary , but not the Dream´s).I have read almost 100% good reviews on the Freedom and iffy reviews on the Dream. I have an open mind and take reviews with a grain of salt. I´ve never sailed on Carnival , so don´t know exactly what to expect (I usually sail on Celebrity).

Our group will have all ages , with a good size group of "tweens".

Thanks, I´really appreciate any input.

Kim

Labadee was awful. Very rocky, not really a nice beach area at all. Grand Caymna gets missed a lot (tender port). Jamaica is kind of crappy. Dream is definitely doing better ports. Compare the ships and RCI has lots of extras but will you really use them? After our one RCI, we realized that the oo-ahh factor was not enough to justify the extra expense. All that being said, we were just on the Dream and it was one of our best cruises ever.

Kim--I would reccomend the ports on the Dream for the tweens. Book Victor Bodden on roatan. You can get an all day guide and for $5 additional dollars go see the monkey's and let them climb all over you and you can stay with them as long as you want. We are going back again this year and taking our families on the tour. It was by far the best day i've spend on an island. I think the tweens would really get a kick out of the monkey's. Also did the cave tubing in Belize about 8 years ago and really enjoyed that one as well but it is a lot of work with the walking, traveling etc. Costa Maya is a great beach day.

Archived