To Dream or not to Dream...some questions

daisy7113

We sailed the Dream this is pasted June the Dream in our opinion fell a little short. Please don't get me wrong the cruise was still great and had a wonderful time but our least favorite out of 10.

I think I got caught up with hype of a new ship like Oasis and the Epic I had high expiations for a brand new ship that just came out in 2009. I was surprised with the layout; it bottlenecked in certain areas on promenade deck (5) and always seemed crowded and dark to me. From inside the ship you did not see water in most public rooms the windows were covered and at times it just felt like a hotel rather then a ship. If you found a deck chair out by the pool on sea days you are subject to blaring music which we did not find relaxing. I Think it was just the little things that I never experienced on prior cruise's (Carnival, Celebrity, RCCI, Disney) that seemed to stick out . The service was great in the main dinning room but it seemed that the assistant waiter were spread a little thin ( I refilled the water glass for the table) no big deal. The food was good no complaints in the MDR and there were lines in the buffet during peak times but you had many great food choices. Only saw one show since you needed to be there an hour before it started in order to get a seat and that was on par with other at sea. Over all we had a great time, everyone was nice and friendly did not encounter any rude and obnoxious people or staff. Sorry I do not mean to offend anyone just stating my opinion. I will sail Carnival again but not the Dream nor the a Magic especially if they don't change the layout. We never made it to Roaton due to winds. Use Costa Maya as a Beach days, Belize would recommend a tour from the ship and we did the amazing race in Cozumel had a great time.

You bring up some valid points (especially if you compare the Dream to the Oasis or the Epic) they are just different (apples to oranges type of thing). You certainly don't offend anyone by stating your opinion. I do have a question for you. We did not experience any larger crowds than Conquest class as others have stated, and your comment about having to get to the show an hour before kind of caught me off guard. Was it really that crowded? When we were on her in August, all of the show (we did late seating) were at best two thirds full.

I think I just had higher expectations of a new ship, and was a little let down. Was was hoping that Carnival was going to be a contender with the Oasis and Epic.

We were on the cruise the last week of June into July and as stated never experienced crowds as I did on this ship, I know people have said they had no issues but on deck 5 near the shops and and going to the pool areas it always seemed like a movie just let out.

We had early seating for dinner.

Chris

My family were on the 9/4 Carnival Dream sailing and we love love loved it also!

To repeat others, the cove balconies were awesome! They also appeared to be the only ones where you could get any privacy.

We had awesome service in the MDR. The food was average at times, but I chalk it up to having to feed several thousand people in a short time. No worries!

I thought the 'Dancin' in the Streets' show was the best I had ever seen for one of the production type shows.

We went to Nachi Cocom in Cozumel. I will never go anywhere else. That place was awesome and we wanted for nothing.... We took a ship excursion in Belize - reef snorkeling and bannister island. It ended up being very rough, so the snorkeling was no good, but loved bannister island - an island no bigger than a city block.

I wouldn't hesitate to go on her again, but I think we are going to see what else is out there first.

CJ

The Dream is not particularly "a dream", just another, larger Carnival ship with more cabins crammed in and smaller general areas. The only bright spot we found was our cove balcony. If you like the itinerary, you should have a pleasant cruise on The Dream, just don't let your expectations about the ship get too big.

You bring up some valid points (especially if you compare the Dream to the Oasis or the Epic) they are just different (apples to oranges type of thing). You certainly don't offend anyone by stating your opinion. I do have a question for you. We did not experience any larger crowds than Conquest class as others have stated, and your comment about having to get to the show an hour before kind of caught me off guard. Was it really that crowded? When we were on her in August, all of the show (we did late seating) were at best two thirds full.

I have to chime in here, sorry. Yes, it does seem crowded at times especially during the rush hour of lunch at the buffet. At times, I thought they just added more people wihout expanding the public facilities. Buffet and Theater seemed like same size as other ships. Havings said this, I want to book a cove balcony from what I have read about them. Yes I would book again.

I have to chime in here, sorry. Yes, it does seem crowded at times especially during the rush hour of lunch at the buffet. At times, I thought they just added more people wihout expanding the public facilities. Buffet and Theater seemed like same size as other ships. Havings said this, I want to book a cove balcony from what I have read about them. Yes I would book again.

Why would you be sorry for chiming in? I hear you, and yes there are more people on her than other ships. I guess I went on her thinking it would be way more crowded and did not feel it as such. Lido during lunch, was it crowded, yes. But, every Carnival ship (or every ship I have been on) is the same way. Would I in a perfect world add more public space if I was re-designing the ship ...sure. We had some people sailing with us that had a cove and LOVED it.

I think I just had higher expectations of a new ship, and was a little let down. Was was hoping that Carnival was going to be a contender with the Oasis and Epic.

We were on the cruise the last week of June into July and as stated never experienced crowds as I did on this ship, I know people have said they had no issues but on deck 5 near the shops and and going to the pool areas it always seemed like a movie just let out.

We had early seating for dinner.

Chris

Check the prices, you are getting what you pay for with Carnival. That being said we cruised on the 2nd sailing from Florida last December in a cove. Going back in 15 days in a cove. Any minor things were offset with the cove balcony cabin.

We did Eastern on the Dream and would sail the Dream again. We had a great time. Yes, it is a large ship but not overwhelming and nicely organized if you are used to Carnival. We have sailed Fantasy class other times and I found the layout very similiar. I did the behind the scenes tour and it was about 5 hours and I was worn out. I think she said we did over 3 miles. It was neat. That was my splurge on the trip.

We love Costa Maya and want to go back. Cozumel has lots of great cheap beaches. Havent been to your other two stops.

The smell - yes, I did get two separate brief smells - but what is, about so many miles out from port they can dump waste. Not a big deal. They explained it on the Behind the Scenes tour.

The waiters and room stewards were great. We felt like they were old friends by the time we left. Hard to believe it had only been 7 days!

Never felt crowded. I hated the laser show and that is probably the only time I thought there were too many people around. No chair hog issues. I never went to Serenity Deck, it's beautiful though (I walked around) and someone posted a review that supposedly they also serve lunch there.

Yes, there are lines for food at the lido at key times but then there were Never lines at the salad bar just off Lanai BBQ. It was on sea days where the Sushi station is. No one was ever there. The line always are for what people can eat at home. Mongolian and Burgers. My son only wants to cruise on ships that have the Burrito Bar. He's almost 15 but I think he ate it 5 days. I also loved the Tandori. I ate the Main Dining room 2 or 3 times for lunch - they had the best ice cream sundae - no bananas in there. It was for adults! (The food lines on the Fantasy Class are so much worse!)

It's funny, people seem to just get in the first line they saw. There were another set of stations inside the lido serving the same food that never had lines and the Pasta station/restaurant upstairs was awesome.

I also went to the free cooking demo - it was my lunch one day. It was in the Supper Club.

The Cove Balcony's were very nice. I purchased the Spa Pass. Not sure I will next time. I used it 6 nights but had to make myself and did it instead of other things to get my moneys worth.

>>I purchased the Spa Pass. Not sure I will next time. I used it 6 nights but had to make myself and did it instead of other things to get my moneys worth.<<

Can you tell me your experience with the spa pass, what was good or bad? Planning on purchasing it for DH and I but why would you not do it again? Thanks!

I liked the Dream. I have only Sailed Carnival, and only Spirit and Conquest Class Ships. So my perspective may be a bit narrow in comparison to other Cruisers.

I found the layout to be similiar to the Conquest Class, but the addition of the Lanai Deck brought on of the endearing qualities of the Spirit Class Ships.

I had a Balcony that overlooked both the Lanai Deck and on of the several Hot-Tubs, While this did take away the privacy of the balcony, I enjoyed being able to see the activity on the Lanai.

And the Lanai Barbaque was a nice addition.

I liked the Pasta Bar, all of the Waterslides and the Serenity Deck.

I did get to see a friend's Cove Balcony and liked it. As did the Friend.

Whatever you decide. Enjoy your Cruise !

I was on the Dream on the June 26, 2010 sailing and then also just returned from the RC Liberty of the Seas on Oct. 10, 2010.

I have sailed on the Dream, Miracle, Glory, Fascination, Celebration for Carnival. My most recent sailing before the Dream was on the Glory.

I have to honestly say that I was most disappointed in the ship. The crew and staff were excellent - I just thought that the ship was 'okay' at best. I enjoyed the Glory much, much more.

I didn't feel that the cost that we paid for the Dream (which was $1000 more for this sailing than the Glory) was worth it.

This feeling about the ship itself was further magnified after sailing on the RC Liberty of the Seas.

So I guess my answer to you, the OP, is that you consider why you are looking at the Dream - is it the itinerary? If so, I would probably recommend another Carnival ship that has the same itinerary. If the cost to be on the Dream is the same and you like going out of Port Canaveral, then go for it.

As far as Roatan goes, it was by far our favorite port on the Dream cruise. I felt very safe and we were all over the island.

As others have said, if you are looking at some of the features of the Dream and wanting to sail her, then do it, have realistic expectations, and have a GREAT time!

Because as well all know, you have a HUGE say in how your cruise turns out - go an have fun!

We sailed 10/23-10/30, and we consider this our best cruise ever! Yes, it will feel crowded during embarkation/debarkation when everyone is in the same space, and during peak mealtimes on Lido - that's normal. There's definitely more space, and we could always find a quiet spot. The Ocean Plaza/Lanai area was a very good addition, too.

The only time we smelled "the smell" was at Port Canaveral and at one of the ports of call - only on deck, not in our cabin. Our cabin was on Deck 8, so maybe we were out of range, but in discussing this with others we met, no one had smelled "the smell."

I also must say that the embarking/debarking processes went much more smoothly & faster than on any other ship. One of the pursers told me that the larger passenger capacity caused Carnival to revise those processes - works great! We took advantage of the Luggage Express, which is only offered on the largest ships for people flying with certain airlines on the trip home. For $20/ person, Carnival checks you in online, prints & delivers your boarding pass the day before, and your check-in luggage is removed from the ship & sent directly to the airport... so you don't have to deal with it till you arrive home. It worked seamlessly for us!

The crew we encountered were awesome, and the entertainment staff was always visible AND accessible. Cruise Director Josh walked among the guests all over the ship, all the time, and he'd stop & talk with anyone. :) The whole affect was that they were there for YOU... big difference from other cruises, in that respect.

If you have any specific questions, I'll do my best to respond.

We just got off the Dream on Saturday and had an amazing time.

We never went to the main buffet so I can't speak for the lines there. The only time we had to really truly WAIT for food was about 35-40 minutes at the pasta place on Friday (sea day). WORTH THE WAIT.

Check out my review, the link is in my signature under the "Carnival Dream Western Caribbean October 2010" or whatever it says ;) I just started the review and will hopefully finish it within a week.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Roatan. Probably my favorite port ever. When I went to Tabayana (sp?) Beach in 2005 there were men with machine guns, but maybe three to five of them total and it didn't seem unsafe at all. This time we went to Gumbalimba and didn't see anything of the sort.

Thanks for the post OP. We'll be going on the Dream on April 16th (Spring Break for our kiddies).

We've only been on RC (3x no kids) and DCL (3x) and decided on Dream b/c it's a newer ship, the itinerary and recommendations from friends.

I started doubting our decision several days after we booked b/c all of the negative reviews but even though we really enjoy DCL it can be super expensive and RC was great but had it's issues as well.

With every bad review you will find positive ones from individuals who were on the same cruise at the same time. We'll be going with the mindframe be patient and be nice it's a vacation! Nothing's perfect.

For us we want the kids to have a nice time and just relax a little!

I also just sailed on the Dream this past week, I'll be starting my review today or tomorrow (with lots of pics). We did encounter rude staff, long wait lines and the sewage smell, but we still had a great cruise. No matter what ship you choose you could and probably will have some sort of issue, how you let it affect you will determine the outcome of your cruise ;)!

we are thinking of booking the dream for Jan. And the thinking has nothing to do with ship more of a logistics for us. 6 years ago when we went to costa Maya there were armed me around. These places are just starting to get lots of people, Add boatloads and or busses of people with money and it could be a pirate type persons dream. Also with the recent Drug stuff I can image all ports are fortified.

we are thinking of booking the dream for Jan. And the thinking has nothing to do with ship more of a logistics for us. 6 years ago when we went to costa Maya there were armed me around. These places are just starting to get lots of people, Add boatloads and or busses of people with money and it could be a pirate type persons dream. Also with the recent Drug stuff I can image all ports are fortified.

drug stuff at cruise ports....ummmm no. Are there armed men at cruise ports (for your protection I might add) yes....been there since at least mid 90's. Costa Maya is a wonderful port.;)

I have read all these comments with interest...I am seriously considering booking the Dream for a family reunion cruise in Jan. 2012.

I am actually torn between 2 ships and itineraries. Most of the people in our group are cruising "newbies" and have never been to the Caribbean.

I want to leave from Port Canaveral and I am looking at Freedom of the Seas and the Dream.

Freedom visits :

Cozumel

Falmouth , Jamaica

Labadee

Grand Cayman

Dream hits:

Belize

Roatan

Cozumel

Costa Maya

I want the best itinerary for newbies (I have done the Freedom´s itinerary , but not the Dream´s).I have read almost 100% good reviews on the Freedom and iffy reviews on the Dream. I have an open mind and take reviews with a grain of salt. I´ve never sailed on Carnival , so don´t know exactly what to expect (I usually sail on Celebrity).

Our group will have all ages , with a good size group of "tweens".

Thanks, I´really appreciate any input.

Kim

Was on the Dream in Oct had a great time. Is the ship perfectly laid out no. Did I walk through the dining room a couple of time to get where I wanted to yes. Was it crowded yes but so were all the other cruise ships I have been on. Am making plans for my next cruise am I going on the dream probably not but that has nothing to do with the dream but wanting to see other ports rather than anything wrong with the dream.

Sorry to hijack the thread but could you tell me which private excursion you took to the ruins. We will be on the Dream in Feb and want to see the ruins there. The authentic Belizian lunch sounds great. Thanks

Sorry it took me so long, I didn't realize anyone asked me a question. I can't for the life remember the name of the company we used, but we went to Altun Ha. It was an amazing trip and the "lunch" was a restaurant that was really someone's personal residence. It was awesome. It was home cooked, she had a butterfly garden, tilapia pools, and a beautiful piece of property. We were able to get out of the city and see the country at it's best. I truly enjoyed it!

I have read all these comments with interest...I am seriously considering booking the Dream for a family reunion cruise in Jan. 2012.

I am actually torn between 2 ships and itineraries. Most of the people in our group are cruising "newbies" and have never been to the Caribbean.

I want to leave from Port Canaveral and I am looking at Freedom of the Seas and the Dream.

Freedom visits :

Cozumel

Falmouth , Jamaica

Labadee

Grand Cayman

Dream hits:

Belize

Roatan

Cozumel

Costa Maya

I want the best itinerary for newbies (I have done the Freedom´s itinerary , but not the Dream´s).I have read almost 100% good reviews on the Freedom and iffy reviews on the Dream. I have an open mind and take reviews with a grain of salt. I´ve never sailed on Carnival , so don´t know exactly what to expect (I usually sail on Celebrity).

Our group will have all ages , with a good size group of "tweens".

Thanks, I´really appreciate any input.

Kim

Having been on FOS 2x LOS 2x, Oasis and Celebrity Century last winter and many Carnival ships, I love them all. Just got back from the Fantasy after sailing Oasis in April, (Smaller to Gigantic) and we leave next week for the Dream. My kids are 12,9,8 &6.

I have not been to Falmouth but have been to Ocho Rios and I have not been to Roaton. Howver, I have been to all of the other ports. Labadee is beautiful, the Zip Line is great, there's a floating aqua park and beautiful beaches. I felt the poverty in Belize was too much for my kids at the time, 3 years ago but I would take them again, just with a more appropiate excursion. You can't go wrong in Cozumel and Costa Maya has its port and pool. We have a lot of newbies going with us next week on the Dream.

But I'll speak to your "tween" issue, Carnival has the waterslides. Freedom of the Seas will have the "Flow Rider", so if your tweens are surfers, wake boarders or snow boarders, they'll want the Flow Rider. If the waterslides will keep them happy, go with the Dream. For pools, FOS will win that one, just because they are bigger with a seperate area for the smaller kids. Teen programs are about equal but I'll give that one to Carnival too. Having had my kids on ships for years and many sailings, Carnival does it better.

My final answer is the Dream for your parameters, Carnival seems to have it down with 1st timers, tweens and making everyone feel like part of the family, whether its your 1st time or 50th. Good luck and if I change my mind after the Dream, I'll let you know but I have all confidences that it will greatly exceed my expectations.

Archived