Using a debit card to guarantee an account

I wanted to post my recent experience using a debit card to guarantee my ship account. (I just got off the Majesty on Monday) I have read many times about having a hold placed on the account, etc.

This is the 4th time I have used my debit card. This time, I used a different card from a different account from a different bank. In all 4 times, I have NEVER had a hold placed on my account. I don't know if it is just my banks, but again, I have used 2 different cards from 2 different accounts from 2 different banks. I opened the second account so the debit card I was using would not be tied to our household account just in case a hold was placed, but it hasn't happened yet.

Three times I have put cash on my account and only used the debit card for a small residual balance, but one time I did not use any cash at all and I still did not have a hold placed on my card for the amount of my onboard account.

So, I just wanted everyone to know that it is not automatic to have a hold placed on the account. I am not saying it doesn't happen, just that it hasn't happened to me in the 4 times I used a debit card.

I have also used my debit card many times. I have yet to experience any kind of hold placed on the card.

We get back home, and the only thing ever tied to the account is the final charge amount in cases where we did not pay it off on the ship.

I have seen this happen. Alot of times when you hear names paged to the Purser's Desk on disembarkation day it's because the cruise line is having difficulty with debit card payments. Most of the time it's related to one's bank needing verification that the card owner is authorizing the use of their card for multiple and repeated charges from the same merchant. It's because of the multiple pending authorizations being requested within the short time span and the bank wants to make sure it's legit. Usually a phone call to the bank will release it.

This is very helpful.

I am paying cash for the most part for my onboard account, but will probably have to use my debit card as well.

For Hotels, not cruises, they do put a hold on your debit card. So for those staying ina hotel prior to sailing, make sure you know that part because it has taken upto 10 days for it to be released before.

Deborah

Same for us on the last 4 cruises. Our debit card is used as a "credit" card and nothing shows in our checking account until the full amount of our seapass shows up a few days after the cruise, just like any other use of the card when we use "credit" instead of "debit".

I always contact our credit union before traveling so they know when and where we will be during our travels.

Cathy

It hasn't happened on a cruise, but I HAVE had my account held hostage by a hotel once (and it's my own fault, because there was a sign at check-in that stated that it might happen.)

A couple of phone calls took care of it, but the bank employee I talked to that a PRIOR phone call before using the card would've taken care of it, like a call you would make before traveling out of the country.

Kinda scary, when you know you have funds and can't get to them.

Most of the time it's related to one's bank needing verification that the card owner is authorizing the use of their card for multiple and repeated charges from the same merchant. It's because of the multiple pending authorizations being requested within the short time span and the bank wants to make sure it's legit.

Not how it happened for us. We used our Bank of America Visa check card on FOS last December; no hold placed ont he account, and the bill went out of the account in one go, not as multiple and repeated debits.

I have seen this happen. Alot of times when you hear names paged to the Purser's Desk on disembarkation day it's because the cruise line is having difficulty with debit card payments. Most of the time it's related to one's bank needing verification that the card owner is authorizing the use of their card for multiple and repeated charges from the same merchant. It's because of the multiple pending authorizations being requested within the short time span and the bank wants to make sure it's legit. Usually a phone call to the bank will release it.

Same for us on the last 4 cruises. Our debit card is used as a "credit" card and nothing shows in our checking account until the full amount of our seapass shows up a few days after the cruise, just like any other use of the card when we use "credit" instead of "debit".

I always contact our credit union before traveling so they know when and where we will be during our travels.

Cathy

That is what we do also. ;)

Anyone going on a trip should always notify their banks, before they leave, that their cards will be, or may be, in use from a certain date until the date they return.

They should also give the banks the information as to where they will be going. I even give them the hotel and ship when they ask. I even had to name them 10 islands one time. :D ( I think the guy was new)

That way the bank will not stop payment on their cards if they think it is suspicious activity from been stolen.

Depending where I am going, my bank also gives me the numbers to call in case the card is stolen so I can let them know right away.

I have done that for years and my bank thanks me for it.

Archived