Requesting help finding cruises of NZ only

bearsfolks

We want to do a 14+ day cruise of NZ only, focusing primarily on the natural beauty of the islands. What we'd like to do on this first trip to the region is to cruise NZ, and then fly to a couple of places in Australia rather than spending days at sea going between the two countries. Almost every cruise that I've seen so far seems to start or end in Australia.

I would really appreciate some help in finding such a cruise, either in terms of ships/lines that do this, or companies that specialize in this region and offer what I want. Other than Lindblad, I seem to have come up empty.

TIA.

We want to do a 14+ day cruise of NZ only, focusing primarily on the natural beauty of the islands. What we'd like to do on this first trip to the region is to cruise NZ, and then fly to a couple of places in Australia rather than spending days at sea going between the two countries. Almost every cruise that I've seen so far seems to start or end in Australia.

I would really appreciate some help in finding such a cruise, either in terms of ships/lines that do this, or companies that specialize in this region and offer what I want. Other than Lindblad, I seem to have come up empty.

TIA.

Hi bearsfolks, you might like to try IslandEscapedotcodotnz

They do a few different cruises in NZ and also Vanuatu; their boat Island Escape only has 12 cabins soits very hands on.

Regards Stan

Suggest you consider a land tour, either by bus or a selfdrive. We wanted to see as much of NZ as possible and chose to do an 18 day bus tour last March. We chose a local company, with many years of experience. All meals were included in the price. It was Fall season in NZ and weather was perfect for touring. Afterwards, we flew to Melbourne, Cairns and Sydney and spent 3 days in each city and booked day tours. Afterwards, we sailed out of Sydney harbour towards Hawaii. Wonderful!

I agree - think about a land tour. In all honesty you can't really see everything that NZ has to offer if you are relying on day trips off a cruiseship. Many of the most spectacular places are well inland or far from the usual cruiseship ports. We have toured NZ twice (north and south island respectively) and you should be able to "do" each island comfortably in a week each. We chose to hire a campervan and it was great but there are organised coach tours available too.

Thanks, Stanc61, I'll look into the Island Escape.

Stelladoro and Room010: I think you've verbalized what I was afraid of! The obvious advantage of cruising is not having to pack and unpack every day, and also of having someone else drive for you. Plus you get to meet people on the ship. The disadvantage of driving in NZ is driving on the wrong side of the road--even though I learned to drive in such a country decades ago! I'm going to have to do a fair amount of convincing of SWMBO if I'm going to go the driving route.

If I may ask some questions of you (and anyone else who is willing to respond):

Would it be possible to get the route(s) that you took?

Were you on the road every day, or were you able to stay in a place for a few days?

Who did you do the bus tour with?

Most importantly, what places were you able to go to by land that you would not have been able to get to by cruising?

On the other side, are there places that can only be seen from cruising, and not by land?

Thanks for all your help.

Circular cruise of NZ : Milford Sound, Dunedin, Christchurch, Wellington, Napier, Tauranga, Auckland, Bay of Islands (Scenic Cruising).

Option 1 - SUN PRINCESS or SEA PRINCESS ex Sydney fortnightly October through March.

Option 2 - DAWN PRINCESS ex Melbourne fortnighly departures December through late February .

Option 3 - (from 2011/12) ex Brisbane fortnightly from October to late February .

Option 4 - DIAMOND PRINCESS ex Sydney , then NZ circuit finish at Auckland. Regular departures late year to early next year.

Option 5 - DIAMOND PRINCESS ex Auckland, then NZ circuit and Tasmania, Melbourne, finishing in Sydney . Regular departures late year to early following year .

Hi, thiscoming Feb, we will be spending a month in NZ. We fly into Aukland, stay for 3 days, pick up a car and drive trhu to Queenstown, arriving in time to meet up with our cruise. From Queenstown they take us to the ship. It is the Oceanic Discoverer. She is small--about 70 pax. We will sail from Milford Sound around to the east coast and up to Auckland--approximately 14 days. The one stop I am positive about is Stewart Is. Our TA arranged this thru Scenic via Goway tours. Will report on this trip when we get back. We really didn't want to goon a LARGE ship and we're not. DH is a computer research buff and found the trip, then we approched our TA. She made all the arrangements. Good luck finding what suits you. Pat

We fly into Aukland, stay for 3 days, pick up a car and drive trhu to Queenstown,

Hi Pacmom:

This is the Lindblad cruise that I had found--the only one that did not also sail to Oz. However I had not considered the part about driving from Auckland to Queenstown. How long is your land trip going to be once you leave Auckland, and what are the highlights on that trip?

Thanks.

P.S. Your hubby and I would get along!

Thanks, Stanc61, I'll look into the Island Escape.

Stelladoro and Room010: I think you've verbalized what I was afraid of! The obvious advantage of cruising is not having to pack and unpack every day, and also of having someone else drive for you. Plus you get to meet people on the ship. The disadvantage of driving in NZ is driving on the wrong side of the road--even though I learned to drive in such a country decades ago! I'm going to have to do a fair amount of convincing of SWMBO if I'm going to go the driving route.

If I may ask some questions of you (and anyone else who is willing to respond):

Would it be possible to get the route(s) that you took?

Were you on the road every day, or were you able to stay in a place for a few days?

Who did you do the bus tour with?

Most importantly, what places were you able to go to by land that you would not have been able to get to by cruising?

On the other side, are there places that can only be seen from cruising, and not by land?

Thanks for all your help.

I also had some concerns regarding driving on the left side of the road and that's why we chose the coach tour. Friends did a Self-drive tour last Jan. and quite enjoyed it. They shared the driving with another couple, so that helped. Another issue is the liability insurance, which must be purchased, when renting a car in NZ.

Don't believe we're allowed to mention names of tour companies on this site - if you google Coach Tours in NZ, you'll get a list of them - we chose to go with the locally owned company. Mostly Aussies on the tour, as well as us and a sprinkle of Brits. But it was a very friendly group and we met some wonderful people.

The tour will give you an idea of the itinerary, the no. of 2 days stops, etc.

Bearfolks, yes my favorite researcher works on. We have it set for the north island. After leaving Auckland, we will visit the gloworm caves and then overnite at Lake Taupo. The next nite is Hastings, south of Napier. We will visit Napier on our cruise. We were going to stay 2 nites, but the specific wineries he want to see only offer tastings. Then 2 nites in Wellington. We have grandchildren in love with the Lord of the Rings films. Will try to find some of the filming areas around there.

Our rental car includes the ferry fare, but only on the early one. So we will arrive on the south island much earlier than originally planned. A nite in Bleinhem for more wine tasting and the rest of the time not settled yet.

As for driving on the left--he has done it in Ireland. We and the car survived. Even if it sounds like a bus tour, we have not time constraints and can come and go as we please.

Will let you know about the rest of our plans when they are firm. Pat

Bearfolks, yes my favorite researcher works on. We have it set for the north island. After leaving Auckland, we will visit the gloworm caves and then overnite at Lake Taupo. ... Pat

I am so glad you are staying a night in Taupo. Have just returned from having our long weekend there (Labour day yesterday). We LOVE Taupo. There are a number of nice Motels that are right on the Lake Front - my recommendation would be Boulevard Waters - http://www.boulevardwaters.co.nz/location.php Prices reflect the location at about NZD 189 per night for two - but well worth it. And there is a lovely walkway called the "Lions Walk" around the lake for 3-4 miles. If you want something a little lighter on your wallet we always stay at Beechtree Motel (& Miros - combined motels) http://www.beechtreemotel.co.nz/ We always have a courtyard Access Unit (I am disabled) and it is under $NZD140pn, plus they have other upstairs unit with lake views, spas etc. A short walk (ride in wheelchair of me:p) to the Lake, or into the town centre.

We would highly recommend ;)for a nice and in-expensive meal, you go to "Jolly Good Fellows Pub" which is across the road from the lake, so you get magnificant views of the lake and mountains! It is a complusory stop for us after a hard day's work on our property there!! :D The staff are very friendly and the food is great value. Here is a link to one which is from the Council buildings which is next door to said pub http://www.taupodc.govt.nz/ (on the right hand side of the page is the link to the webcam - LakeCam.

MargoK, thanks for the recommendations. The restaurant sounds really good. We are not fancy restaurant people and like to eat where the locals do. As far as hotels, the suggestions were helpful. We are using Hilton points and will be staying there for the nite. Will keep in mind your suggestions in case something happens. Thanks so much Pat

The Oceanic Discoverer is a great little ship, we've been on her in Papua New Guinea and had a great time, and would love to go again. We have been considering the New Zealand cruise but have decided that the Kimberley will be our next trip. I could see how the ship would be perfect for NZ though, especially being small enough to go into all of the fjords on the South Island. The Discoverer is operated by an Australian cruise line called Coral Princess Cruises so not sure how Lindblad Expeditions come into it, although I imagine they must have taken it over for a period.

Hi Pat.

This is the link for your trip:

http://www.expeditions.com/Itineraries45.asp?Expedition=731&Destination=332

I live in NZ and never knew such a wonderful cruise exists!! Must admit it is a little outside our price range, but it is the perfect cruise to see some of our wonderful coastline. May have to put this one on my 'bucket' list.

You are going to some magical places. Gisborne for one, which is my birthplace. Whangara (Whale Rider) beings back memories of camping there once at New Year with a group of friends. Eastwoodhill Arboretum is a great legacy for the people of Gisborne. Kaikoura - do hope you get to see the whales. We planned to one our trip south in October last year but we encountered sleet and snow, so didn't get the chance. Akaroa is beautiful and quaint.

I do hope you do a review on Cruise Critics when you come back!

Don't believe we're allowed to mention names of tour companies on this site - if you google Coach Tours in NZ, you'll get a list of them - we chose to go with the locally owned company. Mostly Aussies on the tour, as well as us and a sprinkle of Brits. But it was a very friendly group and we met some wonderful people.

The tour will give you an idea of the itinerary, the no. of 2 days stops, etc.

Yes, you may mention the name of the bus tour company you used and I would also appreciate knowing which one you went with.

What you cannot mention on CC are the names of travel agencies. Nor can you begin a new thread with the specific intention of naming a particular tour company to either rave or rant about them. However, there are no rules within CC that state you cannot name a tour company you used as long as it is within a thread and not the first post.

Hi Pat.

This is the link for your trip:

http://www.expeditions.com/Itineraries45.asp?Expedition=731&Destination=332

I live in NZ and never knew such a wonderful cruise exists!! Must admit it is a little outside our price range, but it is the perfect cruise to see some of our wonderful coastline. May have to put this one on my 'bucket' list.

This does look like a very lovely cruise. Definitely out of your budget also. I will keep hoping to win the lottery.

MargoK, Are there any small publike restaurants near our hotel, the Rendezvous?Pat

Yes - the one that comes to mind is called "The Playhouse" and it is on the edge of Aotea Square.

When you are at the Rendezvous, ask the Desk about the underpass to Aotea Square - you come out in the Theatre Centre (where there will be shows etc on) once outside the Playhouse is on the other side of the Square (open area). This will save you crossing the road and negotiating your way around the street and buildings.

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Use this link and type in Aotea Square - the red pin will be about the location of the Playhouse The Rendevous is called the Carlton on the Map!

Archived