Current Verandah sale

eng58

Hi Tinknock,

I paid the published price 2 months ago for a VE cabin, this was the same prince as on the HAL website. However, now I was wondering if it would be possible to try and obtain the discount price (I believe only valid for this week) even though I booked already.

The conditions on the HAL site say it´s for new bookings only though but I guess I could try and maybe get some OBC out of this?

Also I wonder to what type of cabin the upgrade is valid for, I believe it´s a VH, but I might be wrong. Is a VE (my current booking) better than a VH?

Thanks,

Vincent

Vincent,

Are you booked through a TA or direct with HAL? A TA 99% of the time will be lower than the direct price. This would also be more helpful in getting the best deal.

A VE is considered better than a VH. On the other hand, there are only 4 VH and booked as a guarantee there is a good chance you would be upgraded from there.

Vincent,

Are you booked through a TA or direct with HAL? A TA 99% of the time will be lower than the direct price. This would also be more helpful in getting the best deal.

A VE is considered better than a VH. On the other hand, there are only 4 VH and booked as a guarantee there is a good chance you would be upgraded from there.

Hi Sean, I booked through a TA and got exactly the same price as through HAL.

I emailed my TA and asked them what were the possibilities. I hope we get something or next time will consider booking with a different TA.

Thanks for your help!

OVgirl, and neighbour (we're in Kanata) I put thru' a trial booking and no balcony deals popped up or were offered. We're in an E cabin on the Ryndam and when I opted for a balcony -- no deals.

I think what I'll do is cut and paste the key info from your posting and mail it off to our TA.

This is the least expensive trip she's ever booked for us and has done more changing and work. (We started inside and when prices fell opted to move up to a window rather than reduce the price.) But that's why we use our TA in BC on the other side of the country; she offers service.

Congratulations on getting the veranda! I guess we will all be getting away from the cold Ottawa Valley Winters.

Hi Sean, I booked through a TA and got exactly the same price as through HAL.

I emailed my TA and asked them what were the possibilities. I hope we get something or next time will consider booking with a different TA.

Thanks for your help!

As has been posted in many threads now on this board, there is no longer a "99.9% of the time" that TA's will offer lower price. TA's must now sell HAL without rebating.

HOWEVER, when the TA is sometimes legitimately lower priced and it's ok with HAL rules is when they have group space. They may be selling a VD category Verandah, for the same price you'd only get a VH category for direct from HAL. THIS is what has also been referred to above as "free upgrades". It is NOT that TA's can routinely offer an upgrade to a SA Deluxe Verandah for the same price as an SY Superior for instance. It is usually just cabin category upgrades.

Sometimes, HAL direct rates may be lower than the group rate a TA may be hodling. In this case, yes - you'd be getting the same price from the TA as from HAL. It's up to the TA if they then 'gift' you items, but they can't discount in this scenario.

Hope that helps, sorry if it's confusing, but I don't think your TA is necessarily stiffing you on the price.

As has been posted in many threads now on this board, there is no longer a "99.9% of the time" that TA's will offer lower price. TA's must now sell HAL without rebating.

HOWEVER, when the TA is sometimes legitimately lower priced and it's ok with HAL rules is when they have group space. They may be selling a VD category Verandah, for the same price you'd only get a VH category for direct from HAL. THIS is what has also been referred to above as "free upgrades". It is NOT that TA's can routinely offer an upgrade to a SA Deluxe Verandah for the same price as an SY Superior for instance. It is usually just cabin category upgrades.

Sometimes, HAL direct rates may be lower than the group rate a TA may be hodling. In this case, yes - you'd be getting the same price from the TA as from HAL. It's up to the TA if they then 'gift' you items, but they can't discount in this scenario.

Hope that helps, sorry if it's confusing, but I don't think your TA is necessarily stiffing you on the price.

I am not seeing that.....I just booked a couple of cruises and both are were lower through a TA. $187 pp less for my VD on a seven day cruise, to be exact. I checked other TAs and they were also lower. Obviously there is discounting going on. I have yet to see HAL come in lower.

I found a rate $50 per person lower than HAL with one agency for the N A cruise for the VH special. Not much different, for sure.

I am not seeing that.....I just booked a couple of cruises and both are were lower through a TA. $187 pp less for my VD on a seven day cruise, to be exact. I checked other TAs and they were also lower. Obviously there is discounting going on. I have yet to see HAL come in lower.

I found a rate $50 per person lower than HAL with one agency for the N A cruise for the VH special. Not much different, for sure.

HAL will not come in lower. An agency will always have access to the same rates as HAL, and as before, may still be lower - usually because of group space rates.

But aside from groups, agencies cannot just randomly discount/rebate at will. HAL policy is that agencies only advertised approved rates. Whether agencies are out there contravening the new policy like you say, I don't know. If they are, it'd be interesting to see if HAL did indeed exercise their right to cut them off as an authorized agent.

Anyway, there are some advantages at times to booking with a TA to get special group rates etc. but that does not always apply to every voyage and a TA will not (legitimately at least) always be lower than HAL direct - there will be times when rates are the same.

As always, work with HAL or a TA depending on your comfort level and unique needs. But if working with a TA, make sure you're happy with their service in addition to just the price, and that they are a reputable firm.

HAL will not come in lower. An agency will always have access to the same rates as HAL, and as before, may still be lower - usually because of group space rates.

But aside from groups, agencies cannot just randomly discount/rebate at will. HAL policy is that agencies only advertised approved rates. Whether agencies are out there contravening the new policy like you say, I don't know. If they are, it'd be interesting to see if HAL did indeed exercise their right to cut them off as an authorized agent.

Anyway, there are some advantages at times to booking with a TA to get special group rates etc. but that does not always apply to every voyage and a TA will not (legitimately at least) always be lower than HAL direct - there will be times when rates are the same.

As always, work with HAL or a TA depending on your comfort level and unique needs. But if working with a TA, make sure you're happy with their service in addition to just the price, and that they are a reputable firm.

Well, the best advice I can give is is to always check both HAL AND the TA's before booking. I deal with large online companies and I rather doubt they are doing anything that would cut them off from HAL.

Whether they are doing it through groups, or some other way, all that matters to me is good service and the lowest price.

Never seen HAL come in lower, either.

You aren't necessarily going to get good service from HAL. I have talked to many of their booking agents and many have seemed pretty clueless, much like any call center. Heck, I have talked to some that have never cruised! They have recently screwed up on my table preferences and my TA had to send the info in again to correct it.

When I originally booked through a TA, the fare was less, but over time, HAL lowered their prices and they have remained the same for the last 3 or 4 months. THe TA did offer a few other perks, though, so we'll at least have lots of soda on our voyage!

Archived