Nassau segway ??? Strict on wt. ???

RDMOREU

We will be in Nassau and would like to take the NCL-sponsored Segway excursion. Does the tour operator actually weigh participants to make sure that they are below 275 lbs.? Thank you. (I'll post this on the Nassau board, too; but, am particularly interested in info. on the NCL-sponsored excursion.)

We will be in Nassau and would like to take the NCL-sponsored Segway excursion. Does the tour operator actually weigh participants to make sure that they are below 275 lbs.? Thank you. (I'll post this on the Nassau board, too; but, am particularly interested in info. on the NCL-sponsored excursion.)

This info is from the Segway site:

• Are there weight limits for the Segway PT?
  • Yes, Segway sets weight limits for rider safety and to reduce the risk of damage to the Segway PT. A rider must not be less than 100 lbs. (45 kg). The maximum payload (which includes rider and all cargo) for the Segway PT is 260 lbs. (117 kg). The total weight of any handlebar cargo plus any additional attachments hanging from the handlebar should not exceed 10 lbs. (4.5 kg).

I don't think it is up to the tour operators.

Here's the link to the Segway site:

http://www.segway.com/support/faqs.php

They actually use a slightly more heavy-duty off-road version of the Segway for this tour that has a 275 pound weight limit. It is done on a dirt path through a woodsy area. It has different tires with an off-road tread, as opposed to those used for city tours. They do a quick training course in an open area first.

They did not weigh people in our group. But I suspect that if they think someone is over the weight limit that they may ask someone to step aside and be weighed. They probably do have a scale available. If you're close to the weight limit and carry it well, I'm guessing they won't say anything. However, it would not be difficult to damage the Segway if you were much over the weight limit. Especially with the things they have you do on the course. Each of these Segways cost between $5000-$6000 when I priced them after our tour a couple years back. Not sure what they might cost now.

That said, this was one of the most fun excursions that we've been on. It was not difficult to learn how to use them, although many people are nervous initially. The first couple tries may be difficult, but people generally catch on quickly. They teach you new things every few minutes during the first half of the tour. About half way through they had a place for a rest break, with a dirt track type arrangement where you could do your own thing for a while. Going in figure 8's around curves, over bumps. This tour was a blast!

Never have been on one - tho they do look fun. Just wanted to post this info about the Segway inventor.

"Owner of Segway Company Dies in a Segway Accident

By SARAH LYALL and JULIA WERDIGIER

Published: September 27, 2010

LONDON — James W. Heselden, a British businessman who invented and sold fortification containers for flood control and military protection and who owned the company that makes Segway electric scooters, died Sunday after plunging from a cliff in West Yorkshire, the police said, apparently while touring his property on a Segway. He was 62.

His body was found late Sunday morning after a passer-by reported seeing a man plummet 30 feet into the River Wharfe, the police said, adding that a “Segway-style vehicle” had also been found. They did not say what had caused the accident.

Mr. Heselden was born in Leeds, in modest circumstances, and left school at 15. He worked as a coal miner, lost his job after the 1984 miners’ strike, and used his severance pay to start Hesco Bastion, which manufactures the Hesco barriers he invented in 1990.

The barriers — galvanized-steel mesh baskets rising to chest height that can be filled with dirt — were originally developed as flood control devices, and have been used in places like New Orleans and Iowa. Light, portable and easy to assemble, they have also replaced sandbags as a feature of virtually every defensive barrier deployed by coalition forces in Iraq and Afghanistan, and are standard equipment for NATO.

In recent years, Mr. Heselden has appeared on the Sunday Times of London’s list of 1,000 richest people in Britain. A passionate philanthropist, he donated almost $16 million to the Leeds Community Foundation earlier this month, bringing his total lifetime donations to charity to more than $36 million.

The two-wheeled Segway personal transporter, which operates on electricity and changes direction according to the way its driver tilts, was invented by Dean Kamen in 2001. Matt Dailida, vice president for government affairs at Segway, said that Mr. Heselden was “a Segway p.t. owner long before he bought the company,” in December 2009.

Mr. Dailida said that Segway was still trying to find out more about what caused Mr. Heselden to go off the cliff. Mr. Heselden is survived by his wife, Julie; five children, and eight grandchildren."

Correct. Dean Kamen is the inventor of the Segway and many other things. He was just interviewed on NPR's Science Friday last week. http://www.sciencefriday.com/program/archives/201010223

We did take this Segway tour in Nassau last November while on the Sun. As jame_g states, these are heavy duty versions of the Segway. We did have some concern about the weight one of the persons in our group, but it did not seem to be an issue. No one had to step on a scale.

We too enjoyed the excursion. The more timid in the group took a bit longer to become comfortable moving about, but others (primarily the younger ones) were zipping about in no time. Full protective pads are provided.

The trickiest part, at least for me, was to remember to watch out to not cut turns too sharply. I tend to look ahead, like driving a car, but you need to be aware of where your wheels actually are relative to what you are moving over, or you will find one wheel going off the sidewalk or road into the grass. Then you tip over. Not good! No one in the group fell during our excursion.

This photo is from the Nassau excursion.

Stu

Segway.jpg.178d503a45cd5e5d46c1c3ef05630fb2.jpg

Correct. Dean Kamen is the inventor of the Segway and many other things. He was just interviewed on NPR's Science Friday last week. http://www.sciencefriday.com/program/archives/201010223

We did take this Segway tour in Nassau last November while on the Sun. As jame_g states, these are heavy duty versions of the Segway. We did have some concern about the weight one of the persons in our group, but it did not seem to be an issue. No one had to step on a scale.

We too enjoyed the excursion. The more timid in the group took a bit longer to become comfortable moving about, but others (primarily the younger ones) were zipping about in no time. Full protective pads are provided.

The trickiest part, at least for me, was to remember to watch out to not cut turns too sharply. I tend to look ahead, like driving a car, but you need to be aware of where your wheels actually are relative to what you are moving over, or you will find one wheel going off the sidewalk or road into the grass. Then you tip over. Not good! No one in the group fell during ousr excursion.

Stu

Stu - from looking at your pic, is that kinda' carryall in the front of the Segway where you'd put stuff like a water bottle, etc.?

...We did take this Segway tour in Nassau last November while on the Sun. As jame_g states, these are heavy duty versions of the Segway. We did have some concern about the weight one of the persons in our group, but it did not seem to be an issue. No one had to step on a scale.

...We too enjoyed the excursion. The more timid in the group took a bit longer to become comfortable moving about, but others (primarily the younger ones) were zipping about in no time. Full protective pads are provided.

Stu

Looks like they probably changed the route they use for this excursion, probably due to safety after the incident that occurred over a year ago. Avoiding being so far off the beaten path. So I imagine a lot of my description may not fit, but riding around on the Segway is still a lot of fun.

Stu - from looking at your pic, is that kinda' carryall in the front of the Segway where you'd put stuff like a water bottle, etc.?

You know I could not recall, but I, as usual, probably forgot to bring a bottle of water along. I looked at the full resolution photo, and that does look like what they are. Backpack type.

Looks like they probably changed the route they use for this excursion, probably due to safety after the incident that occurred over a year ago. Avoiding being so far off the beaten path. So I imagine a lot of my description may not fit, but riding around on the Segway is still a lot of fun.

I don't recall going to any isolated areas and we did not go toward the Queen's Staircase. We traveled around some residential areas on quiet street and visited Fort Charlotte. We also got a chance to play around with the Segways for a while on what looked like a cricket field between the fort and the water.

Archived