Cruising Alone

Tammy0930

Has anyone gone on a cruise by themselves. Purchased 2/28 cruise tickets as a surprise Valentine's Day gift, however my husband can not get the time off. I figured, what the heck, I'll go anyway!!!!!! Just hoping not to be too lonely.

Any suggestions?

I'm a solo (female) cruiser. BUT.....why don't you get a friend or relative to go with you since the cruise is already paid for??? At least you could get half your money back that way.

Back to solo cruisers....All my earlier cruises were with family or friends, but my past few have been by myself. I choose to cruise this way, because I like doing what I want, whenever I want. I'm now retired, and like doing things at my own pace, and not having to coordinate with someone else. It's really kinda nice.:)

You'll meet lots of folks on board - if you want to. At dinner, hopefully you'll be at a table that seats 8-10. The conversation is much better when more people are involved. I enjoy my sea days reading on deck or going to trivia contest, art auction, Tea Time, whatever. I usually have a nightcap in one of the lounges before going to my cabin, and sometimes chat with fellow passengers.

It's the perfect vacation for me. Oh, and on port days, I grab a cab and go wherever I want. I'm sure you won't have any problem. :)

You said you purchased "tickets" so I'm guessing 2. Do you have a friend or relative you could take with you? You'd have to change the name on the reservation but I think that costs about $50.

Did it once, while going through a temporary separation. Tried to get some people to join me last minute, but it was too last minute.

Told the maitre d' to change me from our planned table of three, to a larger table. Well, he misunderstood, and each night fixed me up with other singles. I could have corrected him the second night, but didn't. An opportunity to have one on ones with people I would never see again, if I didn't want to.

So, regardless, I threw caution to the wind and met up with some people I probably would not have met, at the same time some alone time for pure relaxation when I wanted it. Not on anyones schedule but my own.

Also used the gym facilities more than I normally do, if ever.

Oh, and some good food.

Unfortunately, the temporary separation didn't last. Wife came back 13 weeks later. :mad:

Go for it, and enjoy!

I'll let you know! I've usually taken relatives with me for the same reason that others have stated- with most cruise lines you pay for two anyway.

However, this time I didn't want to wait on another schedule and just chose the week that worked best for me! Most lines have opportunities to meet others at cocktail parties on the first night. Also, RCL has Meet/Mingle in association with this web page. I've heard using the scheduled trips through the ship also helps promote meeting people with similar interests -I've booked a few of those. I also scheduled a late seating at a large table - thought that would promote conversation.

I'd be just as happy taking a few excercise classes and having a nice G&T, reading a good book in the sun!

I'll let you know! I've usually taken relatives with me for the same reason that others have stated- with most cruise lines you pay for two anyway.

You guys have been great, thanks. Believe me, I have tried to find someone to come with me, but between kids, jobs, $$$ etc., they're not able to go. I will keep trying, but will certainly go alone and have a blast.

When I was divorced, I thought my cruising days were over. I cruised more when I was divorced than when I've been married! I took my mom, a good friend, and a niece with me. I spent more time with the friend than my mom or niece (she was 16 -- need I say more? I had to keep the waiters away from her!)

I had just decided that I would love to cruise by myself when I met my DH! Now I am taking him on his first cruise! (hopefully not last!) I think cruising by myself would be wonderful. Not having to worry about anyone else, where they were, what they want to do, etc. I guess I am a little bit of a loner at heart!

I am a single dad and I have taken 3 cruises, well you night as well say alone as DD's always have something they want to do and to me I enjoy meeting new people and finding out that it is a lot easier on a ship to make friends. Many I still email or call and keep in touch with. It will be all you want to make it....fun or not.

Hi Tammy (I'm a Tammy too) . . . I will be leaving on my second solo cruise in April and if it is half as much fun as my first (September 2003) . . . I'm gonna have a fantastic time. Prior to my divorce ten years ago (and kjunea, I too thought my cruising days were over), I had been on three or four cruises with my husband and once with both my husband and my son. Those cruises were also wonderful (I mean how could a cruise be anything but) . . . but, when one cruises solo . . . you can pick the excursion you most want to go on, get up and go to bed when you want to, eat when and where you want to (and don't have to share your cabin with anyone so you can be as neat or messy as you like). I met so many nice people on my last cruise . . . several I still see. You're gonna have a ball and will not be lonely!

Don't stress yourself out about trying to find someone to use the other ticket. Live for yourself and go have some fun. Can you just imagine it, being able to do what you want, when you want on the ship. Not having to worry about being somewhere at a specific time to meet anothers schedule demands. Have fun.

Jim

I leave today for my 7th solo cruise...Its the BEST way for a single female to travel, very safe, and lots of nice people to chat with! And if by chance you meet up with grumpy cruisers, talk to the crew/staff - they are sooo interesting! You will find people from over 60 different countries on board. OR read, lounge, excercise, eat, exercise, eat, eat, sleep....eat. You will love it! :)

I've done 10 solo cruises now, and most have been really great. Decided I could wait until I got my friends all together to vacation, and never go, or I could venture off on my own, and have never regreted it. Lots of great memories and friends made along the way.

I think the best thing about cruising solo on a traditional cruise is having dinermates. When I travel on my own it's always dinertime when it hits me I'm by myself. On a cruise you have an assigned table, and from there I just branch out and meet new people.

Also, my rule of thumb is: you'll likely never see any of these people ever again so just have fun. Say hi and strike up as many conversations as you can, in the hottubs, at the gym, in line at the buffet, at the bars, on shore excursions especially. This is coming from a relatively shy guy too! There is a communal feeling the happens on most cruises (especially on the smaller ships) so I think it's a great vacation choice on your own.

The only cruise I regreted taking on my own was on RCCL's explorer of the seas, that ship was so huge I felt like I was trapped in a floating mall for the week with many unfriendly people. But even by the end of that cruise my tablemates had warmed up and we were having fun in the disco at night.

I say go for it, be just a little outgoing, and by the end you'll have new friends and great memories to take back home.

I'll be going on my 5th cruise in April and first solo. I can't wait. I go to conferences by myself all the time and I really like the flexibility that comes when I don't have to factor anyone else in. A ship is perfect - if I feel like socializing, there are a couple of thousand people on board - it shouldn't be tough. Tick tick tick...

Archived