Pics of Costa Classica collision

WinnipegCruiser

how does a collision like this actually happen?? Aren't there instruments to prevent this like proximity warning alarms etc?

That is why they call it an accident....

Sometimes they have officers looking on either side with radios to the bridge.

Also, the cruise ship could have had the space, but the cargo ship moved unexpectedly.

how does a collision like this actually happen?? Aren't there instruments to prevent this like proximity warning alarms etc?

One or the other could have lost power and drifted into the other. A few years ago Carnivals Holiday lost power in the turning basin in the Mobile River and crashed into a pier. It didn't cause much if any damage as it was just drifting so slowly at the time. Imagine the crews panic when they realize they have no control of the ship.

I am over on the Costa boards frequently because I sailed on the Atlantica in April. I am following this story over there. Costa has had a rough year. Earlier in the year, the Europa collided with a pier(?), tore open the side of the ship, and killed several crew members. Tragic accidents.

A little duct tape and some good old elbow grease and that will be as good as new.

Wow good thing nobody was hurt. Not a good way to wake up if you were in one of those rooms. I guess they will have a awesome story to tell about that cruise.

Archived