CocoCay Bamaha - 1st Open Water Dive??

J&KCruiser

We all have our first Dive after getting our C-Card and mine looks like its on cruise next week.

If all goes well I get Open Water cert. this weekend with 4 Quarry dive. If I understand the dive plans some of the cert exercises at 70 ft.

I was thinking that the CocoCay one tank dive would be an OK start to my Scuba Life.

Does anybody have experience with this Dive offered thru Celebrity?

I am looking to Bora Bora in Jan for some additional dives.

Thanks for advice in advance.

John

should be a nice easy start

Experience the crystal-clear water of the Bahamas on a one-tank shallow water beach dive. You begin your dive in waist-deep water and continue to explore the reef up to a maximum depth of 45 feet. Your SeaTrek instructor will help you identify the various marine life and coral formations this reef has to offer.

We did the shore dive through Royal Caribbean - it was a nice, leisurely dive (ironic, considering there was a thunderstorm rolling in). The only part that was a little strange is they tow you out to the dive spot using jet skis. After getting to the spot, you dive down into 30-40 feet of crystal clear water. We spotted a ray, a couple lobster, and a lot of fish on our dive. Our dive was called short due to the thunderstorm, but it was still a fun dive. You'll have a great time, especially as a beginner.

Well I am now PADI Open Water with 1 open dive. I hope we make it to Coco Cay. I hear the 50% of the time ship does not stop due to sea conditions. Being new I am an Air Hog so hope they provide a full tank. Might be good that they tow use to the dive location for longer bottom time.

Thanks All

John

Well I am now PADI Open Water with 1 open dive. I hope we make it to Coco Cay. I hear the 50% of the time ship does not stop due to sea conditions. Being new I am an Air Hog so hope they provide a full tank. Might be good that they tow use to the dive location for longer bottom time.

Thanks All

John

Congratulations on your certification.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Completed my first ocean dive at CocoCay.

• Six attempted to dive that day
  • One dropped out with mask issue (their own)
  • One had a regulator issue that was swapped out but did cut his dive short. He re-joined us in middle of the dive.
  • Depth 39ft, water temp 84, dive time 45 min
  • Visibility was 20 ft (being my first ocean dive I was satisfied)

Time to plan other dives in other locations.

John

• Six attempted to dive that day
  • One dropped out with mask issue (their own)
  • One had a regulator issue that was swapped out but did cut his dive short. He re-joined us in middle of the dive.

John

Sounds like you had a good first dive.

Did you swim from shore or did you get towed by a jetski ?

What time did you leave the ship for the dive and what time could you have been back on the ship ? Thanks for the help.

• ]

John

Congratulations on Certification and your first adventure into the Briny Deep!!! What did they charge for the dive?

Sounds like you had a good first dive.

Did you swim from shore or did you get towed by a jetski ?

What time did you leave the ship for the dive and what time could you have been back on the ship ? Thanks for the help.

They had a jetski for towing. We swam out (snorkel) and were towed back in one at a time.

The excursion desk suggested meeting on board at 7:00 am. We were on the first tender that left around 7:40am. We were met at tender pier and went to gear up after signing some docs. Personal items were left locked up at dive center. Walked to shore and out in water within 30+ min. I was back on board the ship before 11:00am (i think).

Congratulations on Certification and your first adventure into the Briny Deep!!! What did they charge for the dive?

Dive cost was reasonable $55 with gear; $45 without. I used their BCD, Tank, Reg. Some used wetsuit.

Archived