Cruising While Sick--Tips?

We're a family of wakeboarders, and spend a lot of time in the lake. We (all) get sinus infections several times a year. If one of us had a sinus infection prior to an upcoming cruise....there is absolutely no way I would cancel. Wouldn't even consider it.

From what I've just read, a true sinus infection is in no way contagious; certainly, a cold is....but *not* a sinus infection.

Don't tell me its not contagious. My ENT says sinus infections are contagious. People rub their eyes, noses etc and touch things or you can get it from droplet infection from them showering you when you talk or sneezing or coughing. Do everyone a favor- invoke your insurance and stay home if you are sick. We have given up cruises because of bad colds/sinus infections and our doctor had no problem filling out the insurance forms and we got our money back. Our doctor said staying home was the responsible thing to do. You better believe we will be eating at a table for 2 on our upcoming January cruise.

Sorry, but I've just done a lot of reading and no matter what your ENT says (and I know you said not to tell you this, but)....it's not contagious. So if you have honestly "given up cruises because of bad colds/sinus infections:rolleyes:," you did so unecessarily.

Enjoy your 'table for 2.' :D

"Sinus infection is medically known as sinusitis. The infection occurs in the form of inflammation of the sinuses and nasal passages. According to a certain study conducted in the year 1999, in America, the number of people affected by sinus infection was about 37 million. According to health experts, people suffering from sinus infections, undergo acute symptoms which may last for 4 weeks or less. They may also experience cases which are sub-acute (last for 4-12 weeks), cases of chronic sinus infection (may extend for months or years) and recurrent cases which keep happening continuously over the period an year. The answer to the question, 'Is sinus infection contagious?' is a resounding 'No'! However, the cold that precedes the infection is quite contagious. So instead of getting anxious if sinusitis is contagious or not, it is better to know the various methods for its treatment."

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/sinusitis-is-sinus-infection-contagious.html

I've honestly never heard that sinus infections can be contagious. In fact.... I (and everyone in my family) get them quite often....and my doc told me they were not. So this really interests me.

I'm gonna try google, but if you have any links....

If the underlying cause of the sinus infection is a bacterial or viral infection that is what is contagious. My ENT says if the cause is viral antibiotics won't fix it and you are still contagious and if the correct antibiotic is not used then you can still be contagious. He always cultures infections to make sure the germ will respond to the antibiotic. These days so many bacteria have become antibiotic resistant so you can still be on antibiotics and be contagious,

Thanks for the tip! I don't think I can say we're perfectly fine since I'm boarding with practically a full pharmacy (my son also has asthma/allergies, and all the "just in case" meds in addition to the prescribed ones). But we don't have fevers or gastro-intestinal issues, so hopefully it will be fine.

I know what you mean, I get sinus infections a few times a year, never, a simple cold, it always turns into a sinus infection. I'm currently on Biaxin, but I will get a prescription filled for antibiotics to take with me as a precaution.

Hope you feel better soon, the sinus rinse did nothing for me at all.

I just hope to stay healthy and take all kinds of preventions in the weeks before our cruise

Archived