Cruising While Sick--Tips?

Leaving on Explorer to Bermuda tomorrow, and my son and I both have sinus infections from hell! Ugh! We're both on Day 3 of the 5-day antibiotic, Z-pack, and decongestants, using the neti pot like crazy, etc. Each day we're feeling a little bit better, so I hope we'll be in better shape tomorrow. The doctor said it's still safe to take Dramamine (we got the Less Drowsy = same as Bonine) if need be (although I wouldn't take the decongestant--just the antibiotic), and I have Gin-Gin ginger candies, all of our assorted medications, neti pot, etc.

Just wondering if anyone else has cruised while having a sinus infection/cold. And if so, was your seasickness worse? What tips do you have for dealing with being sick on a cruise?

(And before I get bashed for "infecting the entire ship," we're not contageous. :o)

Thanks!

As long as you don't have to fly, you should be fine! The antibiotics should really kick in quite soon....and the salt air does wonders for bad sinuses! (Take a dip in the salt water pool...better than a netipot!)

If you have to fly, make sure you load up on the decongestant...stuffed sinuses can wreck havoc on your ears!

I get sinus infections all the time and the z pack is the BEST! You should be fine by tomorrow. What helps me is the vicks sinus stick - it is like nose spray but it is not a spray. It looks like a tube of lipstick - take it out, smell it and oh my - you can breathe again!

Enjoy!

Kathy

I just got back and had the same thing. Felt much better day 5 of z-pak. Flying didn't bother me. Being on the ship made me feel much better. Gee, could it have been sea air? Away from work? Drink of the day?

Whatever you do, when you get to the ship, act like nothings wrong and don't go around smelling like Vick's before boarding. I'm not sure if anyone has an eye out for people who seem sick, but they may be able to deny boarding:(.

Have a great cruise and feel better.

We just got off the Jewel last week and had to fill out a medical form getting on the ship. One question was about gastrointestinal problems and there was one about colds and fevers. I forget what the others were but I hope they let you on.

I am also on a z pack now but I got off the ship sick, was fine when I boarded.:( I swear, everyone that sat near us had a cough and I now have bronchitis. Take everything you think you will need with you. I had packed everything except cough medicine and it was $15 on the ship. A bag of cough drops in Canada was $4 which I thought was high too.

Thanks for the tip! I don't think I can say we're perfectly fine since I'm boarding with practically a full pharmacy (my son also has asthma/allergies, and all the "just in case" meds in addition to the prescribed ones). But we don't have fevers or gastro-intestinal issues, so hopefully it will be fine.

We just got off the Jewel last week and had to fill out a medical form getting on the ship. One question was about gastrointestinal problems and there was one about colds and fevers. I forget what the others were but I hope they let you on.

I am also on a z pack now but I got off the ship sick, was fine when I boarded.:( I swear, everyone that sat near us had a cough and I now have bronchitis. Take everything you think you will need with you. I had packed everything except cough medicine and it was $15 on the ship. A bag of cough drops in Canada was $4 which I thought was high too.

I sailed one time when I was congested like that... and I got VERY seasick as soon as we left Miami. I flew in the night before and it wasn't a big deal as far as the plane. I had cruised before and had not had a problem with getting seasick. I didn't even make dinner the first night!

I did not take Dramamine that time...but for the last 12 cruises I always take it the first day only....I am very paranoid about it happening again! It was a 3 day cruise and I also got sick on the way back to Miami the last night!

I know it must have had something to do with my sinus infection.....

I would just be safe and take it a hour before sailing. I buy the non-drowsy formula but it still makes me tired!

... when you get to the ship, act like nothings wrong and don't go around smelling like Vick's before boarding. I'm not sure if anyone has an eye out for people who seem sick, but they may be able to deny boarding.

We had to fill out questionnaires while in line; yup, we were being

eyeballed by med staff. I didn't see anyone get turned away.

They can also confine you to your cabin.

Stay healthy.

Enjoy your crusie....cruise....can never spell crusie right!

:cool::cool:

Leaving on Explorer to Bermuda tomorrow, and my son and I both have sinus infections from hell! Ugh! We're both on Day 3 of the 5-day antibiotic, Z-pack, and decongestants, using the neti pot like crazy, etc. Each day we're feeling a little bit better, so I hope we'll be in better shape tomorrow. The doctor said it's still safe to take Dramamine (we got the Less Drowsy = same as Bonine) if need be (although I wouldn't take the decongestant--just the antibiotic), and I have Gin-Gin ginger candies, all of our assorted medications, neti pot, etc.

Just wondering if anyone else has cruised while having a sinus infection/cold. And if so, was your seasickness worse? What tips do you have for dealing with being sick on a cruise?

(And before I get bashed for "infecting the entire ship," we're not contageous. :o)

Thanks!

not contagious / antibiotics.... hmmm

not contagious / antibiotics.... hmmm

Sinus infections aren't contagious. The antibiotics are to keep the infection from spreading into other areas, such as the brain. My sister's doctor yelled at her one time for not coming in sooner with her sinus infection and told her left alone, a bad sinus infection can spread into your brain and kill you lol. It was a little dramatic, but you really need to treat them.

Most sinus infections start as a cold or allergy that stops up the sinuses and causes the bacteria already there to grow and spread.

I am a nurse and it's my understanding that sinus infections can be contagious. Hopefully you are not as you have been taking the Z-pak for a few days and even though it's only a 5 day regime it stays in your system for at least 10 days. And frequently we are most contagious before we even have syptoms. Just practice good handwashing/Purelling as this will not only protect your fellow cruisers but help to prevent you from getting anything else that might not be "covered" by the Z-pak while your immune system is still busy fighting what you already have.

On our cruise on the Voyager in January a couple at dinner announced about the 4th day that they had just finished their antibiotics for their sinus infections and were happy because they could drink. By the last night of the cruise I was sick as a dog with a raging infection. They said - "Oh, you're just like we were when this started." Don't tell me its not contagious. My ENT says sinus infections are contagious. People rub their eyes, noses etc and touch things or you can get it from droplet infection from them showering you when you talk or sneezing or coughing. Do everyone a favor- invoke your insurance and stay home if you are sick. We have given up cruises because of bad colds/sinus infections and our doctor had no problem filling out the insurance forms and we got our money back. Our doctor said staying home was the responsible thing to do. You better believe we will be eating at a table for 2 on our upcoming January cruise.

I am a nurse and it's my understanding that sinus infections can be contagious.

I've honestly never heard that sinus infections can be contagious. In fact.... I (and everyone in my family) get them quite often....and my doc told me they were not. So this really interests me.

I'm gonna try google, but if you have any links....

On our cruise on the Voyager in January a couple at dinner announced about the 4th day that they had just finished their antibiotics for their sinus infections and were happy because they could drink. By the last night of the cruise I was sick as a dog with a raging infection. They said - "Oh, you're just like we were when this started." Don't tell me its not contagious. My ENT says sinus infections are contagious. People rub their eyes, noses etc and touch things or you can get it from droplet infection from them showering you when you talk or sneezing or coughing. Do everyone a favor- invoke your insurance and stay home if you are sick. We have given up cruises because of bad colds/sinus infections and our doctor had no problem filling out the insurance forms and we got our money back. Our doctor said staying home was the responsible thing to do. You better believe we will be eating at a table for 2 on our upcoming January cruise.

Little harsh... Just make effort to always keep your hands clean while on cruise and you shouldn't have any issues. LOL at stay home. Seriuosly....:rolleyes:

My first cruise, I sailed with a sinus infection. I went to the doc and got antibiotics on Friday, and the cruise began on Monday (we left SC early, early Sunday morning, like 3 AM).

Friday-Sunday of the antibiotics, I didn't feel so hot. I wasn't able to drive any of the way to Fla. But the first afternoon of the ship, after I'd been on the antibiotics for 4 days, I started to feel better. Day after I boarded I was fine :).

It never stopped me from doing anything I wanted to, just had to make sure I took the antibiotics as prescribed which can be kinda hard when you're on vacation and not on a set schedule like on land- so just don't forget to take the meds!

NeilMed sinus rinse. Seriously, it cuts sinus infection and colds in HALF! Great when traveling and you are in overly air conditioned rooms. I usually have problems after flying: my inner ears get messed up.

I finally got my husband to start using this, and now he's religious about it if he feels something coming on.

I've honestly never heard that sinus infections can be contagious. In fact.... I (and everyone in my family) get them quite often....and my doc told me they were not. So this really interests me.

I haven't heard that either and I am the only one in my family who has never had one, but the rest of the family have them independently of each other, by months in fact. And, my mom has mentioned her doctors have told her she's not contagious and while the cold that can cause them is, it's not the sinus infection that gets passed. Some people are just prone to them. Sinus infections are bacterial. Colds are viral.

I don't believe sinus infections are always contagious as they may start secondary to sinusitis (inflammation) which can be caused by a variety of things. However, despite some literature I have been told by an infectious disease doctor with whom I used to work that if an infection develops and all conditions are right it can be transmitted from person to person especially in cases where the sinus infection developed post common cold or other viral condition. Also, many people who think or say they have a sinus infection actually have some other easily transmitted viral infection such as the common cold. In any case, handwashing is always in order and still the single most important means of preventing the spread of infection. Of course this isn't mean to be medical advice. Everyone should consult with their own personal physician. I think we may find differences of opinion even within the medical community.

Just got off Oasis.....had waited for over 2 years for this cruise! Had a sinus infection the whole time; was on my second round of meds....just can't kick this thing. BUT, was not about to let it ruin my time on board. Best cruise ever....even while sick:(

Archived