Requesting Opinions on Flying TP EWR-LIS-FCO

njhorseman

We'll be flying to Rome next year for a cruise, and plan to use our CO OnePass miles, preferrably for business class seats. In reviewing our flight options, I noted that by flying Star Alliance partner TP from EWR-LIS-FCO, I could obtain business class seats for about half the miles I would have to use on CO's daily nonstop EWR-FCO flight. Having never flown TP, I'd like to obtain the opinions of anyone who is familiar with the airline, specifically:

TP's reputation for safety and on time performance.

Quality of TP business calls cabin seats, service and meals, particularly in comparison to CO BusinessFirst, which I have used a number of times and find quite satisfactory.

Ease of changing planes (both TP flights) and comfort of waiting lounges in LIS. I assume our bags would be checked through to FCO but we will have to clear passport control in LIS.

Minimum reasonable connection time in LIS.

Thanks in advance.

The Biz class seats are the angled flat type. I really hate these (not just TAP's but all of them).

I never eat on planes, so I can't comment on the service/food (my needs are limited to a liter of water).

You will clear passport control in Lisbon and customs in Rome.

Lisbon is a small airport, so I doubt you would need much time to connect. That's a guess, though. I've flown into and out of LIS several times but have never connected there.

On-time information:

http://www.flightstats.com/ is a good source.

For example, the EWR-LIS flight 4104 has been on-time 100% of the time and flight 104 85% of the time for an average of 88%. That compares to CO's 57% on-time. 88% is remarkably good for any flight on any line flying anywhere from EWR.

Data is for the two months ended 15 Oct.

Archived