Retreat Cabana - What Is It?

turquoisesea

We have just booked a week on the Eurodam and I am very interested in finding out about the Retreat Cabana. I did a search of this forum and the HAL website and cannot find the information. It sounds a bit like the Sanctuary on the Princess ships. There, it is $105 a week per chair in a private area of the ship. You can choose a chair in the shade or sun. I loved being able to come and go as I pleased and being able to return to my "saved" chair. Is this what the Retreat Cabana is like? Someone mentioned "family" cabana - does that mean you have to pay for several chairs? And finally, does anyone know the cost?

HAL has a similar concept, but a different execution of it than Princess has.

The Retreat is a private area. There are several cabanas which hold two or four loungers. Some of the cabana line the glass sides of the ship while others overlook the Lido pool 2 decks down. Each cabana is private.

There are also some loungers and tables out in the sun, where you can mingle with other Retreaters.

There are stewards who will tend to your food and beverage needs. Or wants. ;) Whatever your heart desires. There's other amenities which I can't remember at the moment. Neither can I remember the price :o. I know the cabanas are rented for the entire cruise, and any left over can be rented by the day.

Thank you so much for the answer. I have hunted through every corner of the HAL website and cannot find any info. I did just find good information in the CC Reviews. Because they are not listed where I would purchase excursions, etc., I guess I must wait to make reservation when you board. I hope someone else might know about that. :confused:

If you want to reserve a cabana for the entire cruise it can be done by calling HAL. If you just want it for a few days, then you contact the front desk after boarding. The family cabana is $499 for a week and the smaller ones are $299. People who have used them seem to be happy with them especially for the privacy and quiet environment,

Marcia

I have photos of both the "Retreat Cabanas" located on Deck 11, The Observation Deck, and the Pool Side Cabanas located on Deck, Lido Deck.

The photos show what the various cabanas, on both decks, look like, what comes with them, the cost per week or daily rental and who and where to contact to rent one of them here: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Eurodam/index-2.html

Joanie

I love it.....selling deck chairs that were available free... By just reducing the number totaly available so that there is a demand and more people than chairs. .. and putting them where people liked to sit and now making them pay to sit there and pay for a chair :rolleyes: .

This is like a combo of musical chairs and dialing for dollars..... Best idea since the Lani room and the " speciality" restauraunt.. nickels and dimes.

Does Veendam have retreat cabanas?

No, it doesn't. The "Retreat" on the Veendam is an entirely different concept than it is on the E-dam. It's an unfortunate choice to use the same name for such different experiences.

HAL must agree, too, as they changed the name of the retreat on the Nieuw Amsterdam to "Cabana Club".

So, to sum up:

E-dam has a "Retreat", and it is a retreat with cabanas.

Veendam has a "Retreat", but it is not a retreat from anything, and does not have cabanas.

Nieuw Amsterdam has a "Retreat". It is a retreat with cabanas, but it is not called "The Retreat".

Study hard, as there will be a quiz later. :rolleyes:

Whoa! Yes, confusing, RuthC, but thanks for the info. I did go check HAL's site for deck plans & saw "retreat" on Veendam, but it looked nothing like the pictures Joanie had posted of a lovely space to which two people could actually retreat. Veendam resembled an unusually crowded deck chair area, not what we'd envisioned.

As usual, your advice is spot on; thanks.

We have just booked a week on the Eurodam and I am very interested in finding out about the Retreat Cabana. I did a search of this forum and the HAL website and cannot find the information.

Really? :confused: I did a search using "retreat cabana" and found many past threads on this forum on that very topic.

BTW that question is what brough me here to CC recently so I did seek out past debates about this private sanctuary and FWIW I found the past debates quite useful in my decision.

I just wanted to make everyone aware that there is another thread on this specific topic with a lot more entries and info that you might find useful. It is called Retreat Cabanas under Holland America Lines discussions.

Archived