Carnival Ship's security

bodog402

Achille Lauro, 1985 - USS Cole, October 2000?

Fully automatic weapons, the threat of explosives. Unarmed groups of people are not likely to try a direct attack in those circumstances. Also, they know where our American hearts lie - and they love defenseless targets: Circle C, Club O2, etc. Never underestimate the lengths that a fanatic will go to when they do not care for their own lives - nor the lives of innocents. A heavily armed and well-trained team can cover the length of the ship in short order. A rolling-T formation, when properly deployed, is almost unstoppable. And that only takes a unit of squad strength.

I don't think that the OP was referring to those pitiful pirates of Penzance that operate out of Somalia.

The Achille Lauro was a small ship which was mostly empty when it was hijacked. There were less than 100 passengers aboard. On the other hand, anything in Carnival's fleet (even the retired Holiday Class ships) are much bigger than the Achille Lauro. Even if all the passengers were to go ashore, the crew would still require a decent sized army to capture. Also consider that there are plenty of places to hide on even a Fantasy Class ship.

I don't see any comparison to the Cole incident here. The Cole attackers weren't interested in capturing the ship. It was a suicide mission. Apples and oranges comparison.

I agree, or at least notify someone at Carnival Security. I have no idea how to do that or I would. All the OP's posts is really creepy. He seems to have an answer for everything.

Not anything that sounds remotely plausible, however.:rolleyes:

Can Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom be the pirates that take over my ship ..... please????

:D

Good idea ! Well, at least Orlando Bloom ! I Don't care for Captain Jack's gold and rotting teeth..disturbing !:)

For the posters who think the OP needs a visit from the FBI, forget it! My guess is that he is someone with an active imagination, and just posting a "what if".. Anyway, the entire thread has been a hoot and I'm grateful to him for the giggles I've had reading everything...

Good idea ! Well, at least Orlando Bloom ! I Don't care for Captain Jack's gold and rotting teeth..disturbing !:)

For the posters who think the OP needs a visit from the FBI, forget it! My guess is that he is someone with an active imagination, and just posting a "what if".. Anyway, the entire thread has been a hoot and I'm grateful to him for the giggles I've had reading everything...

I forgot to mention that I want to look like Keira Knightley too:D

If it was found out that the inside help to the hijackers was your room steward,would it then be allright to remove the tips???

(sorry,I just couldnt resist it):p

I would be the first one at the desk demanding not only tips be removed but a reimbursment since I don't believe "carnival reserves the right to decide a proper reimbursment to customers due to a pirate takeover" is in the contract :D just kidding i'd be too busy punching my steward in his head for being stupid

I love how one of the first threads I read after a hiatus from CC is about terrorists overtaking a ship. :rolleyes:

My solution would involve making a 'gun-free zone' less 'gun-free.' Concealed Weapons License holders should [in my controversial opinion] be able to carry just about anywhere, and maybe also on a cruise ship (obviously debarking with weapon would be a no-no). That is an 'extreme' theory to solve an 'extreme' and hypothetical situation.

I love how one of the first threads I read after a hiatus from CC is about terrorists overtaking a ship. :rolleyes:

My solution would involve making a 'gun-free zone' less 'gun-free.' Concealed Weapons License holders should [in my controversial opinion] be able to carry just about anywhere, and maybe also on a cruise ship (obviously debarking with weapon would be a no-no). That is an 'extreme' theory to solve an 'extreme' and hypothetical situation.

I would second that opinion, though I would suggest a requirement to check in with security, not to surrender their arms, but so security knows who's on their side...

For all here I would recommend an article titled "Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs" by LTC Dave Grossman, USA (Ret). It's too long to post here, but is readily available online.

After reading it, tell me - how many of your fellow passengers are sheepdogs? You'd probably be surprised. (And so would any pirates)

A previous poster mentioned Clive Cussler...man that was a good book.

The premise of the novel.....the laundry equipment on several cruise ships were rigged with a device that dispersed a deadly virus into all the laundry...bed sheets, napkins, whatever.

The virus would then be transmitted from all the passengers throughout the world. This particular virus made everyone impotent.

"Victory is Mine" & "World Domination"...were to follow.

Dirk Pitt came to the recsue...as always.

A good book to read while cruising. :):)

Could make for some fun entertainment watching the OP and his band of merry pirates trying to overtake a 110,000 ton, 3,000 passenger, 1,000 crew member ship, though.

Let's play another "what if" scenario. Let's say that somehow there's a boat, approaching a cruise ship, which somehow is able to sneak up beside the ship with no one being notified. Then, let's say that instead of the door being shut on them as they try to board, they actually do get on board and notify their "home boys" who are already on the ship, who somehow secretly smuggled on weapons without anyone noticing.

Let's say that no one notices that there is no communication from the ship.....AT ALL....since an employee was actually able to cut ALL communications to and from the ship (that, in and of itself would raise alarms).

Let's say there are 10 pirates. And, let's say they understand they now must subdue the passengers and crew. That's 400 passengers and crew members for every pirate.

Let's even give the pirate an UZI AND an RPG launcher.

I'd put my money on just the passengers with only forks from the MDR, Lido deck as weapons, etc.

What a terrible way to go to the 70 something virgins as you're sent to meet your maker.....being stabbed and trampled by 300-400 angry cruise people with forks........

The Achille Lauro was a small ship which was mostly empty when it was hijacked. There were less than 100 passengers aboard. On the other hand, anything in Carnival's fleet (even the retired Holiday Class ships) are much bigger than the Achille Lauro. Even if all the passengers were to go ashore, the crew would still require a decent sized army to capture. Also consider that there are plenty of places to hide on even a Fantasy Class ship.

I don't see any comparison to the Cole incident here. The Cole attackers weren't interested in capturing the ship. It was a suicide mission. Apples and oranges comparison.

The original plan for the Achille Lauro attack was for the terrorists to remain hidden until the ship departed. They were then going to take hostages in different sections of the ship. Their plan was foiled by early detection. As for the Uss Cole incident, I only mentioned it as a note that everyone remembers. Next time you are in a foreign port and an apparently "friendly" vessel pulls alongside, just stop and think about all of the possibilities. When I was doing my time on the Briny Deep, we had a strict policy about small vessels - none to enter withing 500 yards. This zone was enforced by sharpshooters in the sail (M-14's). This was 1980 - 1986. Somewhere the rule was loosened, I guess.

If two vessels were to advise that they were gonna "Cole" a cruise ship, they could effectively control that vessel for a period of time. Not the most effective plan - but viable none the less.

As long as we are all aware that just living has it's dangers, all we have to do is keep alert and pay attention to our surroundings. While many here pooh-pooh the thought of a cruise ship being hijacked, what would you have said in January of 2000 if someone asked about high-rise building safety? What if they postulated terrorists trained to fly a commercial jetliner taking over with just some box cutters? What if they then decided to use these jets Kamikaze fashion to target certain buildings? I think many here would have had the same attitude (too vivid an imagination, novel writing month, etc.). I would never dismiss the creative genius of those intent to do us harm. Therefore, I (and my immediate family) always have a plan. Where to meet if an "incident" occurs. Seemingly innocous words to use if under duress. What to say when asked certain questions.

As far as those suggesting Concealed Carry aboard, I do not disagree, but have only one keen word of advice - Frangible Ammunition! If you have never seen the havoc wreaked by solid-pointed ammo (especially high velocity 5.56 FMJ 55 grain) as it ricochets off of steel bulkheads you wouldn't understand. That is why belowdecks we were always armed with Winchester and Stephens pump riot shotguns and lead buckshot. I shudder to think of what would happen with just one three-round burst from an M-4 stuffed with the 62 grain M-855 penetrator rounds when pointed down a steel corridor. From real demonstrations it has been proven that any round above 2,000 fps will ricochet 5 times when fired in that environment. Scary stuff.

Anyway, my point is - always be prepared for the worst. If you are prepared, you can be part of the solution rather than a part of the chaos. Oh, and never underestimate your opponent. My brother (still serves US Army) tells me about the never-ending slough of new IED's they see daily.

Not a good idea, considering the copius amounts of alcohol being consumed on cruises. A terrorist attack is an extremely remote possibility. Drunken fights with accompanying gunfire would be the far more likely outcome of your proposal.

I think the chances of a hostile force overtaking a cruise ship, especially in the Caribbean is about "zero". A much liklier event would be a terrorist suicide bombing (or two, three) consisting of a speed boat(s) armed with a bomb of sorts slamming into the side of the ship at high speed. Depending on the size, it could make quite a statement.

Now let's pray that never happens.

I think the chances of a hostile force overtaking a cruise ship, especially in the Caribbean is about "zero". A much liklier event would be a terrorist suicide bombing (or two, three) consisting of a speed boat(s) armed with a bomb of sorts slamming into the side of the ship at high speed. Depending on the size, it could make quite a statement.

Now let's pray that never happens.

I was on my balcony once when I saw a smaller boat approaching the cruise ship at a pretty good clip. For just a moment I envisioned the exact scenario you just described. I don't know what they were doing; if memory serves, they spoke to someone on the cruise ship, then left. It took a few moments for my pulse to slow down...my husband thinks I'm a total psycho for even coming up with a thought like that.:o

I was on my balcony once when I saw a smaller boat approaching the cruise ship at a pretty good clip. For just a moment I envisioned the exact scenario you just described. I don't know what they were doing; if memory serves, they spoke to someone on the cruise ship, then left. It took a few moments for my pulse to slow down...my husband thinks I'm a total psycho for even coming up with a thought like that.:o

The easiest thing to do in such a situation would be for the ship to run. These ships can do upwards of 25 kts. if pushed towards the limit. A small craft could not keep up that pace for long. Thats why pirates go after cargo ships----they are Low and Slow.

OK OP, once again, lets look at your "scenario". Now we're talking about a new level of "pirates" that don't exist, at least on the high seas. These pirates are of a higher level of pirate than I have read about operating at sea in the last 10 years. Your imaginary pirates have a higher level of intelligence, better hardware and more financial backing. In order for you scenario to work they are going to have to invest more money and time into setting up and prosecuting the operation. Also the type of people involved are going to want a larger "cut" for their participation, therefore they are going to need a bigger "payday" from this act of piracy. Even with the ransom you have mentioned, there just isn't enough of a guaranteed payout to make the operation worth while. If so we would have already heard of an attempt at this, and we haven't. I think the "Walmart" analogy works well here. Anyone who could try this would only get a payoff like that of robbing the local Walmart, making it not worth while, and those who would do don't have to backing or the ability.

Your intentions I believe are well meant but your suppositions need a lot work in reality. Conspiracy theories can be fun, but if you want others to believe in them you need better arguments and support than you have supplied.

Yes, exactly, we're talking it would require a Jeremy Irons-type of bad guy...:p

The easiest thing to do in such a situation would be for the ship to run. These ships can do upwards of 25 kts. if pushed towards the limit. A small craft could not keep up that pace for long. Thats why pirates go after cargo ships----they are Low and Slow.

Pirates are not well financed or organized either. Plus their goal is extortion not terror.

The current record for a boat on the water is over 300 mph. 25kts won't outrun that type of technology for long.

Man, I should slap myself. I sound like I'm instilling paranoia. I'm sure there are many measures in place to prevent this.

Archived