Alaska 2012?

I also think I read somewhere that if you can't go on the RCCL chartered train, that you can check with the Alaskan Railroad for their schedule. I think I even read where you can upgrade to the glass domed car. That might be the Goldstar that some refer to. I think their website has goldstar coastal classic listed.

Just wanted you to know there's other train times in case the RCCL's train doesn't suit your time table.

It seems like a long time ago I was considering doing the 6 hour Kanai Fjord tour, then taking the 6:00pm train back to Anchorage. Since it stays daylight for longer up there, then you would still see the scenery even though it may be evening time.

That's a really nice train ride. We were on it Southbound and it slowed way down. Then a bunch of train crew went running up towards the front of the train. I asked them what was going on and they said a moose was on the tracks. They saw I had a video camera and asked if I wanted them to take some video. Of course I said yes.

When the train stated to pick up speed again, we could see the moose trot off into the woods. When we looked at the video they took, there was the moose walking straight down the center of the tracks. It would stop, look back at the train and then walk on again a little and repeat. I guess it finally got tired of the train and then took off.

The train just waited for it. No whistle, bells or anything. Turned out to be a great video. Now when anyone asks me how fast the train goes, I can honestly say about the speed of a slow moose.

That's a really nice train ride. We were on it Southbound and it slowed way down. Then a bunch of train crew went running up towards the front of the train. I asked them what was going on and they said a moose was on the tracks. They saw I had a video camera and asked if I wanted them to take some video. Of course I said yes.

When the train stated to pick up speed again, we could see the moose trot off into the woods. When we looked at the video they took, there was the moose walking straight down the center of the tracks. It would stop, look back at the train and then walk on again a little and repeat. I guess it finally got tired of the train and then took off.

The train just waited for it. No whistle, bells or anything. Turned out to be a great video. Now when anyone asks me how fast the train goes, I can honestly say about the speed of a slow moose.

LOL!! That was great! What a nice thing the train crew did to shoot that video for you!

Typical nice people from that state! :)

Wow, that is a really cool memory to have. That was nice of those workers to take that video for you. Can't wait till our cruise/tour in July 2011. We are doing the one that goes to Alyeska, Talkeetna, Denali and Fairbanks. It also does the REsurrection Bay tour immediatly upon exiting the ship. Can't wait.

We are booked in 1104, which we just had on Serenade in August so we know we will have an awesome view of both sides of the inside passage.

I am just really anxious to book a cruise for the 2012 schedule. Hoping for one of the treasured aft cabins (if I can get lucky), and not sure if it is Radiance or Jewel for this tour. Either one would be fine for me!

Hope you have as good luck as we have had on booking an aft cabin on the Radiance. We have cabin 1602 in November out of Tampa and we have cabin 1600 in August out of Seward. We booked the 1st south bound cruise for June 2011 on the 1st day it was available so we could get Cabin 1600. The June 3rd cruise was canceled a few weeks ago because of the dry dock. We were lucky and were re-booked in cabin 1600 for late August.

Art & Michelle

Hope you have as good luck as we have had on booking an aft cabin on the Radiance. We have cabin 1602 in November out of Tampa and we have cabin 1600 in August out of Seward. We booked the 1st south bound cruise for June 2011 on the 1st day it was available so we could get Cabin 1600. The June 3rd cruise was canceled a few weeks ago because of the dry dock. We were lucky and were re-booked in cabin 1600 for late August.

Art & Michelle

Ahh...my hopes are renewed! :)

Congrats on your great luck....hope I can find some of the same also! ;)

I'd strongly recommend that if at all possible you do a northbound-southbound back-to-back (now called a 'continuous cruise').

We did this in late August of 2009 and were very glad we did. Given the extra costs for the Seward-Anchorage transfer and the open-jaw flight through Anchorage, it really didn't cost that much more to just turn around and ride the boat back to Vancouver. The turn-around day lay-over in Seward allowed us to take an all day tour to see five glaciers. We were concerned that seeing the same ports on the return trip would be a drag, but we found that 1) there was definitely more to see at each port and 2) we felt that our time in port was more rewarding since we already had some familiarity with the area. We scheduled all our pre-arranged tours for the first (northbound) leg and did our own thing on the last (southbound) leg.

We had a hump JS northbound and 1602 aft southbound. We are 'aft people' but couldn't book early enough to get an aft both ways. While we feel aft balconies are the best (and don't mind the walk to get back there), a cabin at the top or the front of the hump is a very nice place to be.

We were able to book 1100 for the Ultimate Alaska in spring 2011 but RCI truncated that trip for drydock time, leading to a whole 'nother story.....

RAE

Yup, someone else on this thread suggested that too. However, there are too many

nice big Salmon up there on the north end that are calling our names! :eek: ;)

We are planning a "do it yourself" post cruise tour of 4-6 days, with a float plane adventure to do some fishing, and of course touring the area including Denali on our own.

We will then connect onto a one way "puddle jumper" back to Vancouver to pick up our return flight home. We find some of the most memorable times when we do something crazy like that! :D

absolutely true about the people there. more friendly than any place i've been. we had to go to a depot for the bus to the train station. when we called for a bellman and a cab, the bellman said we didn't need a cab and that he would take the luggage. he loaded our bags on a cart, walked out the door, uphill a few blocks and down to the depot. He loaded our bags on the truck that they used for luggage and showed us where to go in the depot. that never would have happened in new york. we found just about everyone to be like that.

absolutely true about the people there. more friendly than any place i've been. we had to go to a depot for the bus to the train station. when we called for a bellman and a cab, the bellman said we didn't need a cab and that he would take the luggage. he loaded our bags on a cart, walked out the door, uphill a few blocks and down to the depot. He loaded our bags on the truck that they used for luggage and showed us where to go in the depot. that never would have happened in new york. we found just about everyone to be like that.

I agree!! :D

Some of the nicest people I have ever met.

if you are in the area of anchorage or fairbanks, alaskan airlines used to run a trip up to Barrow. We did it as a day trip but they also offered an overnight. Barrow is as North as you can get and still be in the US. We flew up on July 31. When we got off the plane it was snowing. Light snow but still snow. We were all wearing parkas and guide was wearing a teeshirt and shorts. It was about 34F. All the kids playing in the streets were dressed like the guides.

It was an amazing place. The "beach" on the Artic Ocean was all pebbles. The ocean was filled with small icebergs and packice. It's the only place we had every been where the satellite dishes were pointed down.

It wasn't inexpensive but it is something you will never forget.

Archived